This Everything Bagel is ready in one hour! It’s homemade and simplified version without the baking soda solution, but it is the same Bagel that you love to eat. Chewy, slightly dense and yet still on the softer side compared to regular Bagel.
It’s been awhile since I made Bagel, and there’s no better time to make it again than now. I received Everything Bagel spice as a gift and I was really excited to put it to use. So even though it was kind of late, I decided to make this Bagel, not too long of a wait since it only took about 1 hour to make it end to end. This Everything Bagel uses the same recipe as my original Bagel recipe, the only difference is that this uses the Everything Bagel seasoning blend.
What If I don’t have Everything Bagel Seasoning Blend?
You can still make this Bagel by making your own Everything Bagel seasoning blend. The blend includes Sesame seed (white and black), poppy seeds, sea salt flakes, dried garlic and dried onions. I’ll leave the measurements below.
Baking Soda Method, The Traditional Way of Making Homemade Bagel
The normal process of making a Bagel is by using a baking soda solution to submerge the Bagel into. Basically, a pan if filled with water with baking soda in it. After the Bagel passed the first rest period and shaped into a Bagel shape, it is then submerged or cooked for 30 seconds in the boiling baking soda solution. This process will give the Bagel a darker crust just like when making pretzels. This process also makes the texture dense and gooey. You can go with this process if you want to, but I decided to not do this in my simplified soft Bagel version.
My Simplified Version, No Baking Soda Solution Method
In my version, I made the method simpler, skip the baking soda solution and aim to still get the gooey texture of a regular Bagel. I personally like my Bagel not too dense and gooey, and this is what I had in mind when I made this simplified version. Instead what I did it I mix the Bagel dough for 10 minutes, to make the bread texture tougher.Remember, the more you mix and knead the dough, the more the gluten will form, and more gluten means tougher bread. I also used Bread flour which have a higher protein than all-purpose flour, which will result to a more gooey bread texture. Then instead of giving it long time to rise like normal bread, I only left it for 15 minutes in the first rest period. That makes it’s basically no rise required at all. This way, the bread will not develop air bubbles inside as it will not have time to rise, resulting to a compact texture like a bagel should be, then a second rise of 30 minutes just to make it fuller a little bit. This is how I like my Bagel, and so this my take on the simplified no baking soda water version. Let’s get started!
- 1 3/4 cup Bread Flour + 2 tbsp only as needed (If you substitute this with all-purpose flour, the texture will not be the same. It will be lighter and fluffier and not compact like a regular bagel)
- 1 tbsp granulated White Sugar
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp active Yeast (no need to activate as we don’t want too much rise in the Bagel. Mix directly with other dry ingredients)
- 3 tbsp unsalted Butter – slightly melted (microwaved 30 seconds)
- 3/4 cup water (110F) (tap water microwaved for 20 seconds)
- 1/2 tsp Sesame Seed or Poppy Seed
- Egg (for egg wash: separate egg yolk from egg white. Mix 1 tsp water to egg yolk and stir until combined)
Everything But The Bagel Seasoning Blend:
- 2 tbsp Poppy Seed
- 1 tbsp white Sesame Seed
- 1 tbsp black Sesame Seed
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp dried minced Garlic
- 1 tbsp +1 tsp dried minced Onion
- 2 tsp flaked sea salt or course Salt
- Preheat your oven to 350F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat and set it aside.
- Make the Everything Bagel Seasoning Blend (if making your own) – Simply mix all ingredients in a small bowl.
- Dry Ingredients: In the bowl of your stand mixer with dough attachment(or a large bowl ), place the bread flour, yeast, granulated sugar and salt. Make sure that the salt is not side by side or in direct contact with the yeast. Use a handheld whisk to combine well.
- Wet Ingredients: Add 3/4 cup water and slightly melted butter, and mix on low-speed with the dough hook until combined. Raise the mixer speed to medium and knead for about 10 minutes. The dough should be smooth and thick, but slightly sticky. If the dough is too wet, add 1-2 tbsp flour.
- First Rest Period: Let sit for 15 minutes in a warm place.
- Shape: Take the dough out of the bowl, and form it into a ball. Divide the dough into 3-4 pieces. Form into a ball, and using the palm of your hand, flatten the dough about 3.5 inches diameter. Use your thumb to create a hole in the center and work through the hole to make it larger, about 1.5-inch in diameter. You can use cookie cutter to create a hole, but I like doing i using my thumb to avoid any leftover dough.
- Second Rest Period: Let sit for 30 minutes in a warm place. You will notice that the hole in the center will almost close as it rise and bake, this is fine. You can fix it after baking.
- Egg Wash: Brush top and sides with egg wash, then sprinkle with sesame seeds, poppy seeds or powdered Parmesan cheese. Do it one at a time so that the egg wash is still wet for the toppings to stick.
- for medium size (4 pieces) – bake 18 minutes or until the top turns brown
- for large size (3 pieces) – bake 20 – 23 minutes or until the top turns brown
- The hole in the center will be almost close once the baking is done. To fix this, simply use your fingers to expand the hole again. I use chopsticks to do this, I simply use it to circle around the hole to make it visible again
Makes 4 pieces
- This bagel can be made without stand mixer. Use a large bowl to mix the ingredients and manually knead the dough in a floured surface until it comes together.
- As the bread bakes and puff-up, the hole in the center will close. When you remove the bread from the oven, push down your finger in the middle to create the hole again.
- Egg wash: Recommended especially if you want to sprinkle topping. Egg wash provides a nice browning, a glossy top and helps the topping to stick better
- [VIDEO] All Around Bread Dough: One Bread Dough, Unlimited Variations
- Small Batch Dinner Rolls for Two (Makes 4)
- Homemade White Bread Loaf
- Jalapeno Cheese Pull-Apart Bread
- [VIDEO] All Around Bread Dough: Nutella Star Bread (Plus Bonus Twist Bread)
- Egg FREE All Around Bread Dough: Ube (Purple Yam) Sweet Roll Bread
- Egg FREE All Around Bread Dough: Mini Purple Yam Braided Bread
- Egg FREE All Around Bread Dough: Braided Purple Yam Loaf Bread
- Small Batch Apple Cinnamon Roll (Makes 4), BEST Ever!
- Small Batch Honey Pumpkin Bread (Makes 6)
- Small Batch Simplified Jalapeno Cheddar Cheese Bagel, Quick and Easy!
- Small Batch Hot Cross Buns
Homemade Bread From Scratch Video:
Enjoy! If you make this, share and tag me in Instagram #SweetNSpicyLiving. I would like to see your creations too.
My Latest Video
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.