Cake for breakfast, why not? This Strawberry Almond Crumb Cake is absolutely delicious with a light crumb, soft and moist, and topped with fresh Strawberry and Blueberry and crunchy crumble toppings. It’s time to bring out your coffee or tea.
I don’t normally make a huge cake like this one, 9-inch to be specific but today I made an exception. I had been bagging my head for a week now thinking of what kind of cake I will make for my friends birthday. Something that I can bring at work that we can all share together for breakfast, yes Cake for breakfast. I am absolutely a sweet tooth hands down breakfast, lunch and dinner. Cake with fresh fruits and crunchy sweet crumbs for breakfast, why not? After entire week of thinking what to bring at work for breakfasts, I decided to make this Berries Almond Crumb Cake. It may not be a proper birthday cake with frosting and decorations, but it was definitely a delicious breakfast cake that everybody loved. So let’s talk about this breakfast cake.
The base of this cake is a combination of all-purpose flour and almond flour. I like the addition of almond flour, It made the cake crumb lighter and the almond never failed to give a nice texture and flavor. I thought instead of using kealmond extract, why not use actual almond to enhance the flavor and texture. If you do not have almond flour, you can substitute with all-purpose flour. If you have almonds, you can grind it make an almond meal, either option will work but will slightly have a different crumb texture. Don’t worry, both taste great. The almond flour also adds moisture to the cake, so it came out moist with light crumb, it was delicious. Now, let’s not forget the role of yogurt. Yogurt plays important role of keeping the cake moist, soft and creamy. This can be substituted with sour cream, but do not use light as you need all the fat content to make the cake creamy.
The Crumb Toppings
I used my favorite crumb toppings. A combination of cold butter, flour, oats, brown sugar, white sugar, shaved almonds and chopped pecans. If you do not have rolled oats, you can substitute it with all purpose flour, or almond flour. For the nuts, shaved almonds are my first option, but is run out of shaved almonds, I combined chopped walnuts with almonds.
Ingredients To Make This Cake
- All Purpose Flour – The base ingredients for the cake. This type of flour is better because it is tighter (more protein than cake flour) and produces a more stable crumb that can hold the heavy fruits and crumble toppings.
- Almond Flour – Adds moisture to the cake and provides a nice texture and flavor. This can be substitute with all-purpose flour, but texture will be slightly different. It will be more compact as compared to a lighter and loose crumb.
- Baking Soda and Baking Powder – Give the cake a nice rise and volume. Baking soda reacts well with yogurt (something acidic) and this reaction makes the cake fluffier and lighter.
- Salt – Enhances the taste, balances the sweetness of the cake. If using salted butter, you can cut down the salt into half.
- Egg – Provides structure to the cake. Use room temperature for easy mixing. Leave the egg in the counter top at least 30 minutes before using, or submerge in a warm water for 5 minutes if you do not have time to wait for 30 minutes.
- Yogurt – keeps the cake soft and moist. Can be substituted with Sour cream. Full fat is recommended for a creamier cake. I wouldn’t recommend the flavored yogurt as they tend to be runny.
- Vanilla Extract – for flavoring, make sure to use only the pure vanilla extract for better flavor
How to Make Berries Almond Crumb Cake
The cake batter is very simple to make. There’s basically 2 main parts f making this cake. Making the cake batter and the making of the crumb toppings. Crumb toppings can be omitted but I highly recommend you add it as it really completes the taste of the cake. It balances the sweet and tangy taste of the Berries and protects the berries from getting dry.
- Make the Crumb Toppings – mix and crumble all the toppings ingredients and chill in the refrigerator while you make the cake batter. This can be made overnight or even 3-5 days ahead.
- Cream Butter and Sugar – Make sure to use room temperature butter to make the mixing easier.
- Mix Dry Ingredients – Simply mix flour, salt and leavening agent.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients – Combine wet and dry ingredients, mix until just combined, as always we do not want l over mix the batter.
- Bake – This cake is a huge cake, moist and heavy with crumble toppings so it will take about 55 minutes. If not using crumble toppings, check at 45 minutes.
- Cool – Let cool completely before slicing. This will give the cake to release heat and steam making the cake not too wet.
- 1 cups All-purpose flour (spoon& leveled)
- 1/3 cup Almond flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 cup Unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 3/4 cup Granulated sugar
- 2 large Eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup full-fat Greek Yogurt or Sour Cream, at room temperature
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- Zest of 1 Lemon or Orange – optional
- 1/4 cup All-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup Packed light or dark brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp Ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup Strawberry
- 1/2 cup Blueberry
- 3/4 cup mix of sliced almonds and chopped pecans
- optional: confectioners’ sugar for dusting
- For the fruit toppings – You can use mix of different berries or a selection of just one. If using frozen, do NOT thaw and just use as is.
- For the nuts – You can use a mix of different nuts or a selection of just one. No need to toast, just chopped into small pieces.
- Greek Yogurt – Can be substituted with sour cream, use only full fat.
- Almond Flour – Can be substituted with All-purpose flour, but bear in mind that cake texture will be more compact.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F. Line a 9-inch round pan with parchment paper. The parchment paper skills cover both the bottom of the pan and the side. This will make the removal of the cake easier without tearing the cake.
- Make the Crumb Toppings – in a bowl, add all-purpose flour, almond flour, rolled oats, brown sugar, while sugar, cold butter and cinnamon. Use your fingers to crumble the mixture. Add almonds and pecans. Chill in the refrigerator while you make the cake batter.
- Dry Ingredients – Combine all-purpose flour, almonds flour, salt, lemon or orange zest (if using), baking powder and baking soda.
- Wet Ingredients – In a mixing bowl, add butter and sugar. Mix for about 1 minute then add the egg one at a time. Mix for about 15 seconds before adding the next egg. The mixture will curdle, that’s totally normal. Add yogurt and mix until combined, about 30 seconds. Scrape down the sides and up the bottom of the bowl as needed.
- Wet Ingredients + Dry Ingredients: To finish off the cake batter, simply combine the wet and dry ingredients. As always, do not over mix. I would say 30 seconds to 1 minute should be enough.
- Bake – Pour the batter in a prepare pan. Level the top to make sure the surface is even.
- Add the Crumble Toppings – Scatter the fruits on top then cover with the crumble toppings.
- Bake – Bake at 350F for 55 minutes or until the center is set and no longer jiggle when you push the pan. If the top starts to brown early, cover top with aluminum foil and continue baking.
- Let cool before cutting. Dust top with confectioners sugar (optional)
- Storage – Cover leftover cake tightly and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, but it is best consumed the first couple days for better texture.
My Latest Video
- Blueberry Custard Crumble Pie
- Walnut Coffee Crumble Banana Bread
- Apricot Shortbread Oats Crumb Bars
- Vegan Blueberry & Lemon Crumb Bar
- Very Berry Almond Crumb Cake
- Pear Almond Crumble for Two
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.
FOLLOW SWEETNSPICYLIVING ON SOCIAL MEDIA