A Blueberry Custard Cake Pie with Crumble toppings is a nice way to celebrate ‘Pi Day’. But seriously, a ‘Pi Day’ is just an excuse to make this 3 layers pier cake, I am willing to make this any day of the year. This 3 in one pie has a nice homemade buttery pie crust, a middle custard layer and a toppings made from crumbled oats. Summer came earlier this year with this Blueberry Custard Cake Crumble Pie. A delicious way to celebrate ‘Pi day’, let’s dig in!
Summer is not even close to happening, but ‘Pi Day’ is coming really soon. I thought no need to wait for Summer to make this delicious homemade custard pie, I decided to make it now while we are still in Winter season here in Vancouver. In few more days it will be Spring anyway, so I decided to bring Summer early this year. I’m glad that frozen Blueberry is available all year round so I can make any Blueberry desserts any time of the year. I got lucky though, I found fresh Blueberry in the grocery, still quite expensive but it is worth it. As you can see, I am able to fully justify the cost of my fresh Blueberry.
3 In One Pie, Cake & Crumble
- Pie Crust layer: The bottom layer is a pie crust layer. Homemade Pie Crust, buttery and creamy and super easy to make. My Homemade Pie Crust uses only 5 ingredients. Watch the video on how I made it.
- Custard Cake Layer: The middle layer is a custard cake layer. This was made from eggs, flour, Greek yogurt, sugar and Blueberry.
- Almond Crumble Topping: The top layer is an almond and oats crumble topping. This gave the pie a nice crunch and texture.
You see the yellow portion where the blueberries are buried? That’s the custard cake part. It’s so smooth and creamy and it’s just perfect when combined with the sweet and fresh blueberries. The toppings are crunchy and nutty crumble made from my favorite 8 grains oats. And of course, you get the Homemade Flaky Pie Crust that sealed the deal for this pie. You can also use strawberry or peaches if you do not like blueberry. It will work just fine. The custard cake base is what made this pie standout from the regular pie. I guarantee you, 1 slice is not enough with this pie.
Substitute for Blueberry
If you are not a fan of Blueberry, or you cannot find one in your grocery, you can use Strawberry, Peach, Cherry, Raspberry, or mixed Berries. I cannot wait to make these variations as I can already imagine how good it will be with the custard layer and crumble toppings.
- 1 (9″) pie crust dough or 6″ for half of the recipe. You can use a store-bought pie crust or make your own. I have Homemade Flakey Pie Crust recipe in my site.
For the Pie Crust:
For the Custard Layer:
- 1 cup granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup All-Purpose-Flour
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream or Plain Greek Yogurt
- 2 Eggs – room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 cups fresh or frozen Blueberries (If using frozen, do NOT thaw)
For the Crumble Toppings Layer:
- 6 tablespoon All-Purpose-Flour
- 6 tablespoon Rolled Oats
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted Butter, cut into pieces
- 3/4 cup sliced or flake Almond, or chopped Pecans or Walnuts
Note : I made this using half the recipe only and I used 6″ pie pan.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Pre-Bake the Pie Crust: Place your pie dough into a 9″ pie pan and prick the dough several times with a fork. Freeze the pie crust at least 30 minutes. Cover with aluminum foil or parchment paper and put a pie weight on top. Alternatively, you can use dried beans or uncooked rice to as pie weight. Bake for 15 – 20 minutes then remove the aluminum foil or parchment paper and bake for another 10 minutes or until the crust is slightly browned.
- Make the Cake Layer Mixture: In a medium bowl whisk together the sugar, flour, sour cream, eggs and vanilla until smooth. Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Make the Crumble Toppings: In a medium bowl combine the butter, brown sugar, flour and oats. Mix until combined. You can use food processor to pulse the mixture, or use a pastry cutter or use your hands to crumble the butter into the mixture.
- Transfer in the Pan: Pour the cake layer mixture into the pre-baked pie crust. Sprinkle top with crumble toppings.
- Round Pan Size 9-inch: for 55-60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Round Pan Size 6-inch: for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. This is the size I used
- Let cool at least 30 minutes on wire rack before slicing. Serve slightly warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or serve cold straight from the fridge. Enjoy!
- During Baking: If your pie crust is browning too much, cover the top with aluminum foil and continue to bake until toothpick inserted in center comes away clean.
My Latest Video
- Small Batch Mini Fruit Pie
- Raspberry Frangipane Tart
- Chocolate Frangipane Tart
- Mango Custard Tart
- Fruit Galette
- Apricot Tart
- Strawberry Cheese Tart
- Almond Shortbread Crust
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.