This Peanut Butter and Chocolate Rice Crispy Bar is composed of layers of rice crispy coated with peanut butter and honey, with another layer of pure melted dark chocolate topped with assorted Easter candy and chopped toasted nuts. It is never too early to start Easter planning. This is one simple and easy recipe that you can make ahead of time. You can even make this anytime of the year. Use different mix-in that suits the occasion that you want to celebrate. This is a fun recipe to make and budget friendly too. This is also a great way to use leftover candies and nuts.
If you are looking for a quick, eat and delicious Easter treat, then you are looking at it. This Easter treat
- Uses very simple, easy to find and budget friendly ingredients. All you need are rice crispy cereal, honey, candy, nuts and chocolate. No need to hunt for them, they can be easily found in grocery stores
- Simple and easy to make. No baking needed, just melting, chopping and mixing
- Great way to use left over rice crispy cereals and candy
- Super fun and colorful, this is a good recipe to make with kids and adults alike
- They are incredibly irresistible and delicious!! Dangerous but worth every bite
The Binder, No Marshmallow
Quite a lot of sweet rice crispy recipes use marshmallow to bind the ingredients together. For this one, I skipped the marshmallow all together and use liquid syrup, in this case honey and nut butter which is peanut butter. You can use any sticky liquid sweetener like Maple syrup or corn syrup. The idea is to use something wet and sticky to bind the ingredients together.
The Nut Butter
You can use any nut butter, if you can dons natural peanut butter that would be better so there is no or less sugar in it. You can also use homemade but butter if you have one.
I strongly recommend using dark chocolate to balance the sweetness of the liquid sweetener, the most that you can use is semi-sweet but I do not recommend white chocolate because it is going to be quite sweet. But if you don’t mind extra sweet dessert, feel free to use white chocolate, or perhaps half dark and half white and create a marble effect
You can use any Easter candy you like. I used 3 types chocolate eggs, 1 plain, 1 Oreo and 1 like M&M. I also added toasted Almond for crunch and a pinch of salt to counter the sweetness. A sweet and salty peanut butter and chocolate bar
What are the Ingredients for Easter Mini Eggs Peanut Butter & Chocolate Rice Crispy Bar
- Peanut Butter – You can use any nut butter, store-bought of homemade. I always use store-bought creamy peanut butter, but almond butter is a great option too. make sure to find a nut butter that is not too oily. In case you get one that is too oily, simple remove the excess oil or stir the nut butter before using it.
- Honey (or Maple Syrup) – Any liquid sweetener will work, the idea is to have something sticky so it binds the ingredients togteher
- Salt – Although we are only adding a small amount, it makes a difference to balance the sweetness of the sweetener. Just sprinkle pinch of salt
- Rice Crispy – Rice crispy cereal is the main ingredient, I used the breakfast boxed cereal
- Chocolate Chips – Chocolate chips or chopped chocolate will both work. I highly recommend using dark chocolate so that it balances with the sweetness.
- Coconut Oil (or Butter) – Either will work, this just helps thin the chocolate a bit
- Easter Candy – any Easter candy will do. I used mini Easter eggs, chocolate and oreo. You can also make this recipe for different occasion and switch up on the toppings
- Nuts – this is optional but I highly recommend it. Nuts adds a nice crunch to the bar
How to Make Peanut Butter Chocolate Rice Crispy Bar
Start by melting the peanut butter and honey. I used microwave to do this, you can also do it on stove top. Microwave until the consistency is smooth and thick. If you are using a bit butter that has too much oil, skimp on the excess oil before mixing it with honey. Add the rice cereal crispy, chocolate chips, half of the candy, nuts and nuts. Mix until the rice crispy is coated and the nuts and chocolate chips are distributed. Press the mixture on a pan lined with aluminum foil. Please do NOT forget to line pan with aluminum foil as the rice crispy will be really sticky. It will be messy and challenging to remove it from the pan. Press the mixture on the pan to compact it. This will make the bottom flat and will cut nicely.
Now work on melting the chocolate chips. I used coconut oil to slightly thin out the chocolate, you can also use butter, just be aware that using butter will give a harder chocolate later. You can melt the chocolate in microwave or you can put the heat proof bowl on top of a simmering water. Do not let the bottom of the pan the water. This method is called baine marie
Once fully melted and smooth, put it on top of the rice crispy, level the top and immediately sprinkle the remaining candy and nuts (if using). Do this while the chocolate is wet so the toppings will stick. We’re almost done..
All that’s left to do is to let the chocolate set. Refrigerate it until just set but not completely hard. This will take about 30 minutes to one hour depending on how cold is your refrigerator.
Take it out from the fridge and cut into 9 squares. I find this bar rich and heavy so 9 seems a decent portion. Position the knife on top press down gently. If you left it too long in the refrigerator, leave it on counter top for few minutes until easy to cut. You can dip the knife in hot water to help cutting easier. Wipe the knife with wet paper towel after every cut. That’s about it!! Enjoy and share!
You can make this ahead of time. Cut it up into desired portion, transfer in a covered container. Take it out from the fridge at least 30 minutes before serving to allow it to soften a bit.
- 1/4 cup Smooth Peanut Butter
- 1/4 cup Honey (or Maple Syrup)
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 cup Rice Crispy
- 3/4 cup Chocolate Chips
- 2 teaspoon Coconut Oil (or Butter)
- 1/3 cup Assorted Easter Candy
- Nuts – optional
- Prepare a 5 x5-inch square pan. Cover the pan with aluminum foil.
- In a small microwaveable glass, Pour the honey and peanut butter. Microwave for about 30 seconds or until smooth and fully melted
- In a separate bowl, transfer rhe rice crispy. Pour the honey and peanut butter to the crispy. Add half of the candy. Stir to combine. Sprinkle pinch of salt. Press the mixture in the prepared pan.
- In a separate bowl, transfer the chocolate chips and coconut. Microwave at 45 seconds interval, stir at each interval and continue until it is fully melted.
- Pour the melted chocolate on top of the rice crispy. Sprinkle more candy and nuts on top.
- Chill in the fridge about 15 – 30 minutes or until solid enough to cut.
- Cut into 9 small bars
How to Make Whipped Chocolate Ganache Frosting
- Make 2 batches of Chocolate Ganache Frosting. Click HERE for the recipe. Cover with plastic wrap making sure that it touches the top of the chocolate ganache. This will help avoid a film forming on top. Set aside in the fridge for about 30 minutes. Do not leave it longer as it will harden too much to mix with whipped cream.
- Prepare the Whipped Cream, (you can also use ready made whipped cream on tub or canister). Using a hand mixer, gradually add the whipped cream to the chocolate ganache and whip for about 2-3 minutes or until light and fluffy. The color will be lighter and the texture softer. You may or may not use all the whipping cream, it depends on the type of chocolate you are using. Chocolate chips often require fewer whipped cream as compared to chopped chocolates.
When it comes to decorating this cupcake, it is pretty flexible. You do not have to stick to what I am using here, use what you have and use what you like.
- Spread the frosting on top of the cupcakes. I used a spatula to spread it on top, a spoon will work too. You can also using a piping bag to frost the cupcakes. I like to keep it simple and easy.
- Add chocolate sprinkles on top. I like using brown sprinkles to make it look like a nest.
- Arrange Easter egg chocolate on top
My Latest Video:
- Small Batch Easter Chocolate Avocado Cake
- Small Batch Easter Ice Cream Cookie Sandwich
- Small Batch Easter Caramel Egg Brownie
- Small Batch Easter M&M Cookies
- Egg FREE All Around Bread Dough: Italian Easter Chocolate Egg Bread
- Easter Bark Chocolates
- Small Batch Easter Fudge Brownie Bites
- [VIDEO] Small Batch EASTER Skillet Chocolate Chip Cookie
- Small Batch Easter Egg Nest Meringue Cookies
- Small Batch Hot Cross
- Marsmallow Pretzel Bark Chocolate
- Chocolate Coated Marshmalowl
- Orange Hot Cross Buns
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Your feedback helps me decide what to put on my next baking to do list. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.
A perfect little treat!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Yes, for everyday cheat day, lol
LikeLiked by 1 person