Few days ago, I shared with you a video on how to make Cardamom Custard Pastry Cream. Today, we are putting it to use. The end goal is this cake .. Deep Dish Cardamom Custard Cake with Cardamom Custard Cream. It is creamy and heavenly delicious in every bite, trust me on that.
This gorgeous cake looks … heavenly! This is like a a generous treat in 2 deep dish pan. The cake is a cardamom butter cake and the glossy creamy frosting is a cardamom custard pastry cream. I cannot find the words to express how delightful it was digging into the soft cake smothered with this luscious pastry cream. So mouthwatering .
About This Recipe
- Ease in Making the Recipe: This is a very easy Chocolate Cake recipe. You can even use other chocolate cake recipe if you have one that you really like. You can make the cake without and electric mixer, or you can use a mixer if you feel like making the process faster. But seriously, take the opportunity of making a cake without having to plug in and wash your electric mixer. You can make the cake for an 1 hour, it’s that fast. This cake uses a simple chocolate ganache frosting, you can have the frosting rest to solidify or you can pour and serve it while warm. Oh you’re gonna love it warm, it melts in your mouth!
- Ingredients: Think of a basic chocolate cake. This means we are talking about basic ingredients like flour, egg, sugar, butter or oil, cocoa powder, chocolate and cream for frosting. Nothing about these ingredients are hard to find. You probably have them already and if not, there’s no fuss in finding them in the grocery.
- Texture, Taste & Flavor: Moist, super decadent delicious cake! As in super extreme chocolate lovers dream. Let’s start with the cake. The cake is soft and moist but not overly sweet. The cake taste even better the following day because the sugar in the cake starts to melt and be adsorbed in the cake. This makes the texture moist and soft. That’s what sugar do to cakes, on top of providing sweetness. More than the cake, it is the chocolate ganache frosting that really makes this cake extra ordinarily good. The smooth decadent ganache poured on top of the cake creating a thick layer of chocolate frosting takes this cake over the top. This is why it is very important to use a deep dish pan. The cake is serve on the pan and eaten on the pan. The deep pan and high side of the pan contains the frosting on top creating a thick layer of chocolate. I cannot express how seriously decadent this is. You just have to give it a try.
- Make-Ahead: Oh Yes!! In fact, this cake taste even better the second day, it is softer and more moist. You can make the cake even 3 days ahead and keep it refrigerated. Pour the frosting on top on the day that you are serving it. If you like soft ganache frosting, you can serve it at least after 1 hr. This will allow the ganache to lightly thicken. You can use semi-sweet or use dark chocolate . I had tried both and I like the dark chocolate better, anything between 55 – 65% is what I prefer but you can higher percentage if that is your thing. I like to keep the cake at room temperature after pouring the ganache but you can also refrigerate it. Take out of the refrigerator at least 1 -2 hrs before serving.
The Cardamom Custard Cream
I shared this video few days ago in preparation for this day, the day that we will indulge in this heavenly Cardamom Cake. I used a simplified method in making the pastry cream, easier and faster method and still produces a creamy custard texture. The custard was flavored with Cardamom Powder, a nice flavor that made this custard rather unique in taste.
Deep Dish Pan
This recipe makes 2 4X6-inch deep dish cake. This is the kind of cake that you do not need to remove from the pan for serving, or cut into slice. The deep dish is a better medium to hold and contain the pastry cream poured on top. I wouldn’t have it any other way. The thick warm cream on top makes a huge difference, it is basically the experience itself. Digging in the soft moist cake with the creamy warm pastry cream on top is truly a wonderful experience. You have to try it to beleiv
Serve it while warm
To get the best of this cake, I highly recommend serving it warm. You can make the cake a day or even 3 days ahead. But nothing beats enjoying it fresh out of the oven. If you decide to make it ahead, make reheat it before pouring the pastry cream. I prefer using the microwave to reheat it. Cover the dish with warm towel and microwave in small intervals of 15 seconds. Aim for a warm to the touch. The pastry cream itself is so easy to make, I highly recommend making it the day you are using it. Pour it on the cake while still warm and runny. It is just different digging into this cake while both the cake and cream are warm.
If you are lucky enough to have leftovers, keep it refrigerated. You can leave this at room temperature 3 days maximum, after that it is best to refrigerate it. Warm it up in the microwave when ready to serve. If you are leaving in a warmer climate, better to refrigerate the leftovers cake immediately.
Success Tips in Making Deep Dish Cardamom Cake
- Use a softened butter for easier mixing. Leave the butter at room temperature at least 1 hour before using it. This is even more important if you are not using electric mixer.
- Use a deep dish pan. This will ensure that the chocolate ganache will be contained and will not overflow
- Do not over-bake the bake. Toothpick inserted should come out clean. Check at the minimum baking I’m in recommended time.
- 70 g (⅔ stick) Softened butter
- 100 g (½ cup) gram 1 1/3 cup granulated Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Cardamom Powder
- 25g (2 tablespoon) Flavorless Oil
- 2 Eggs – room temperature
- 1 tsp pure Vanilla Extract
- 80g ( 1/3 cup) Unsweetened Greek Yogurt
- 180 g (1 1/3 cup) All Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 77g (5 tablespoon) Warm Milk
- 90 g (¼ cup + 2 tablespoon) granulated Sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoon Cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon Cardamom Powder
- 227g (1 cup) Cream
- 76g (1/3 cup) Milk
- 2 Eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure Vanilla Extract
- Cream – substitute with full fat milk
- 2 Eggs – substitute with 4 Egg Yolks
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F.
- Mix the Wet Ingredients: Mix the softened butter and sugar in a bowl. If your butter is soft enough, mixing should not be difficult. Add oil and mix again. Add beaten eggs and vanilla extract and continue mixing until combined. Add greek yogurt and mix until combined.
- Add the Dry Ingredients: Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and cardamom powder onto the wet ingredients. Add the milk and mix until it turn into a thick cake batter.
- Pour the cake batter between 2 5 x 7-inch pan or a 5×5 square pan. It is very important to use a deep dish pan for this recipe.
- Bake at the preheated oven for 30 – 33 minutes or until toothpick inserted in The center comes out clean.
- Let cool. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Make the Cardamom Custard: Pour the custard between 2 cakes. Do this while the custard is still warm for easy spreading. Sprinkle with white chocolate chips or chopped white chocolate or combination of both.
- Serve: Serve once the ganache has slightly thicken, about 2 hrs. You can also save this immediately if you like a warm soft ganache that is almost like a chocolate syrup.
Cardamom Custard Instructions:
- In a saucepan, transfer the all-purpose flour, sugar, cornstarch, cardamom and salt. Mix to combine.
- Add the eggs, cream/milk and stir.
- Keep whisking constantly until the pastry cream becomes thick but NOT lumpy. Normally, it starts to thicken at 5 minutes time, when this happens, continue stirring it. You still want it smooth and a little bit runny. It will get thicker as it cools. You have over cooked it if you noticed it lifting away from the side or pushing away from the bottom of the pan when you scrape it. If necessary pour through a strainer to get rid of the lumps.
- Pour onto the cake while still warm so it spreads easily
Serves 4 – 6
- Use softened butter, this is VERY important for easily creaming of the butter and sugar
- Use a deep dish pan to contain the pastry cream. The consistency of the pastry cream is a pourable consistency but will thicken as it cools down. I highly recommend to pour it in cake while it is still warm.
- Leftover cake can be left covered on the counter for 3 days. More than that, refrigerate the cake. When ready to serve, remove from the refrigerator at least 1-2 hrs to allow the cake to soften or microwave in short intervals of 15 seconds.
Nutritional Information was calculated using Veryfitwell Recipe Calorie and Nutrition Calculator. For details about Nutritional Information in this website, please read the Disclaimer page.
My Latest Video
Click the item to get the full recipe
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.
FOLLOW SWEETNSPICYLIVING ON SOCIAL MEDIA
Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter | YouTube
Categories: Baking, Cookies, Recipe, Video, Video Recipes
This sounds really delicious! Love cardamom!
LikeLiked by 1 person
This is one of my favorite recently ..
LikeLiked by 1 person