My Other Videos:
Checkout my video collection of cookies and other treats that are great for holiday gift giving or for everyday baking. All the recipes can be found in my website. Enjoy!
French Macaroons are one of those type of cookies that I don’t get tired of making over and over again.These cookies are absolutely beautiful and there are variety of flavors that you can make and play with.The ones that are sold at most Cafe’s or shops are the original plain look of Macaroons. They are attractive as they are, but I had always wondered what doing something new with Macaroons will result with. In Pinterest,more and more people are dressing up Macaroons in different ways, more than just giving them different colors and flavors. There are those who decorate the top with icing and frosting, some add sprinkles , nuts , chocolates etc. I was inspired by these ideas and so I thought I should come up with something to give my Macaroons a new twist or look.
This is just what I did to recent French Macaroons that I made. Most of my friends who know me, know how much I love chocolate.I always find reasons to put some touch of chocolate in most of my baking goodies , so why not in Macaroons? Dark Chocolate and Macaroons, sounds like a perfect combination for me.Milk Chocolate or White Chocolate will work too, I just thought that the Dark Chocolate is a better match for Pistachio and Chocolate Macaroons that I have. So, that is what I did.
I had the Macaroons covered with Dark Chocolate. I used Wilton Candy Melts, you can also use Ghirardelli Chocolate Dark Melting Wafers.I tried using the regular baking chocolates, the likes of Bakers Baking chocolate or Hershey’s Dark Chocolate Kisses. They did not work well for me, it did not give me the hard shell I was aiming for.They have a more softer shell covering, the kind of texture wherein when you pick it up or push your fingers on it, it will leave a mark or a dent. Candy melts on the other hand are the opposite. They will give you a hard outer shell. The only thing you have to consider when using candy Melts is that they dries so quickly. You have to be very fast when you dipped it, as it will only takes around 30 seconds then it will start to harden. So, if you are planning to add some toppings, you have to put them as soon as you take the Macaroons out from the melted chocolate dip. I topped mine with Pistachios for the Pistachio Macaroons, and Almond Flakes for the Almond Macaroons. I was so pleased to see the finished product.The combination of the Dark Chocolate and Macaroons turned out to be better than expected. The hard shell coating and the soft texture inside worked well together.
French Macaroon requires a lot of practice to make, sometimes even though you use the same recipe, you could end up with a failed end product. Do not throw them, you can still salvage them by coating them with chocolate. You will be amazed nobody will even notice. The trick is, just keep it to your self 🙂 Let’s get started!
- Baked French Macaroons (I have the basic recipe here French Macaroons
- Chocolate for melting (Dark, White or Milk Chocolate). I used Wilton Candy Melts
- Optional : Nuts & Sprinkles for toppings and decorating
- Crisco Shortening (1 tsp at a time)
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave. Give it a 30 seconds burst then stir.Repeat the process until chocolate is fully melted.
- If the chocolate is too thick, add Crisco shortening to thin it out. 1 tsp at a time and then mix until fully combined. Continue adding until you get the right consistency. It should drip easily when you spoon it.
- Coat the Macaroons with the melted chocolate.
- If you are adding a toppings, sprinkle it immediately after lifting the macaroons from melted chocolate. The chocolate hardens quickly, so you have to be fast. Adding the toppings while it is still hot, will help the toppings to stick to the top of the Macaroons.
Try it and let me know how it goes.Feel free to share this recipe and let’s get the community baking!♥.