This week (first week of April) is a special week for me, it’s my mother’s birthday week. I had been planning months ago what kind of cake I would like to make for her. My family lives in the Philippines and so I do not get to celebrate special occasions with them anymore. However, since I got myself into baking, I made it a habit to bake something when a family member of mine, or even a close friend is celebrating a birthday. This cake was inspired by a lot different ideas that I had been wanting to try. I thought this is the perfect occasion to do it.There is a lot going on with this cake, let me walk you through it.Let’s get stared!
This cake has 3 flavors. The Base is a chocolate cake, and the rest of the cake is Vanilla and Raspberry. Could you guess now what it is similar to? Neapolitan Cake! I did not make it into separate layer though, the Raspberry and Vanilla are more of swirled together. Neapolitan is still in my to do list and I am reserving that for another especial occasion.
In between layers, I used homemade Raspberry Jam and Raspberry Cream Cheese Frosting. I did not put a lot of filling since the outer cake is fully covered with frosting.
Cake Center: The center was inspired by Surprise Cake. You know those type of cakes where the center is hollow and with something in it? Most of the time, people use candies to put inside , like M&M’s. I decided to go fruity with Raspberry Jam to match the flavor of the cake.
Cake Outer Frosting: I made Raspberry Buttercream Frosting for this cake. I find this the easiest type of buttercream frosting to make and use for decorating. I used my basic Buttercream Frosting and I added 3 tbsp Homemade Raspberry Jam.
Cake Design: The design of the outer cake was inspired by Ombre style. Although, most of the Ombre Cakes will have at least 3 colors of frosting that gradually changes, I decided to stick to one. I only made small batch of frosting and I am not sure if It will be enough. It turned out that 1 batch of my buttercream frosting is enough to cover this 6″ cake.
Cake Toppings: And last but not the least, toppings. I used my Homemade Raspberry Jam and Chocolate covered Raspberry Truffles/Cake Pop with white chocolate drizzle. I used the method in making Cake Pop to make the Raspberry Truffles/Cake Pop. It was a lot of work, but after seeing the finished product, it was all worth it.
- Chocolate Cake
- Vanilla & Raspberry Cake
- 1/4+ 2 tbsp cup flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp plain greek yogurt
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp milk
Note: If you do not have yogurt, use 1 whole egg instead of 1 egg yolk.
Frosting & Filling:
- Pre-heat oven to 350F and grease 6-inch round pan
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
- Whisk together egg yolk, milk, oil, yogurt and vanilla extract.
- Mix wet and dry ingredients together until combined. Then add 2 tbsp pineapple filling to the mixture and mix until combined.
- Divide batter into 2 6-inch round pans.
- Add raspberry jam in one of the batter and mix until combine.
- Pour Vanilla batter in 6-inch round pan, followed by the raspberry batter.
- Make a swirl , but do not over do it. You can also just do vanilla layer, then Raspberry Layer without swirling.
- Bake for 20 – 23 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out
- Let cool before adding frosting.
- Using a serrated knife or a cake leveler, cut Vanilla & Raspberry cake horizontally into 3 pieces
- Cut a hole in the center of the 2 pieces Vanilla and Raspberry pieces. This would look like a donut. I used a 3″ diameter cookie cutter. You can use bigger or smaller depending on how much filling you want in the center.
- Layer the cake by placing the chocolate cake at the bottom and spread Raspberry Cream Cheese Frosting on top or any frosting that you have.
- On top of chocolate layer, add the 2 Vanilla & Raspberry pieces with holes in the center.
- Pour in Raspberry Jam in the center, enough to cover the hole.
- Add the last piece of Vanilla and Raspberry cake without a hole. This will be the top of the cake.
- Crumb Coat the cake with Buttercream Frosting. Place inside the refrigerator for about 30minutes- 1 hr.You can do this ahead of time and leave it overnight in the refrigerator.
- Decorate the cake. If you do not like the Ombre style, you can just cover it the cake with Buttercream Frosting.
- Add fresh raspberries and Raspberry Truffles on top. If you do not want to make the truffles, you can replace it with other toppings like shave chocolates or drizzle the top with melted chocolate.
Try it and let me know how it goes.Feel free to share this recipe and let’s get the community baking!♥