I am one of those people who likes Biscotti, and my father.I got introduced to Biscotti because of my father. He likes eating it for snack, sometimes to pair it with his coffee. We are not talking about fancy Biscotti with chocolates, or dried cranberries and nuts. Just the old-fashioned toasted bread with butter and sugar. That’s the kind of Biscotti that I grew up with.
Although I don’t get to eat it as much, on the back of my mind, I still have those childhood memories when I once enjoyed eating it. The first time I made Chocolate Biscotti, it turned so hard! I know Biscotti is supposed to be hard, but mine is extra hard. I literally had to use a knife to cut it into pieces just so that I can eat it. I don’t like throwing food, so unless it is absolutely not edible, I will not throw it.
It took a while before I got over it, it took a week for me to finished it! I did not make it again for a long time. Whenever I had a craving for Biscotti, I went to cafe to get one. And then, I just decided to give it a try again. I did my research, took my time looking for the recipe.I knew what I wanted.I am going for something with fruity flavour, I wanted to make an orange flavoured Biscotti. I love orange flavoured baked goodies, just like my Orange Chiffon Cake or Orange flavoured Chocolate Cake,so why not Biscotti?
This cookie is crunchy, but not too hard. I made sure to control the baking time so that it doesn’t get too hard. The orange flavor worked well, it stands out a lot. I love both the plain version and the ones with melted chocolate and nuts.I cannot stopped eating this while I am cutting it. I am so pleased with the output, my modifications worked just fine and I achieved the result that I am aiming for. Another for keeps recipe worth sharing in my blog.Let’s get started!
- 1 3/4 c All-Purpose Flour + 1/4 Almond Flour (You can also use All-purpose flour for the entire batch if you do not have Almond Flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 c granulated white sugar
- 2 tsp Orang zest
- Chocolate Ganache
- Heat oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl,whisk together the flour,baking powder, salt and orange zest.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the eggs and sugar on medium-high until light and fluffy, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Gradually add flour mixture, mixing by hand until just combined (do not over mix).
- Shape the dough into 2 by 10 inches logs and place 3 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet. Bake until golden brown and firm, 25 to 30 minutes.
- When the logs are cool enough to handle, using a serrated knife, slice each log into 3/8-inch-thick slices. Place the slices cut-side down on 2 baking sheets.
- Bake again, rotating the baking sheets and turning the biscotti over halfway through, until dry and firm, 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool completely on baking sheets.
- Drizzle or dip in Chocolate Ganache
Good To Know:
- If you want a crispier and crunchier Biscotti, cut the cookie thinner and bake it longer.
Try it and let me know how it goes. Feel free to share this recipe and let’s get the community baking!♥
Adapted from: Simple Foods Recipe (with my own modifications)