Featured Video: How To Make Homemade Whipped Cream
It’s super easy and simple, with only 3 Ingredients needed. Checkout the video now. Enjoy!
This cake is enough reason for me to buy Ricotta cheese. Buying ricotta cheese means double treat for me. Treat one will be my favorite Lasagna with ricotta cheese and treat two is this delicious Lemon Almond Ricotta Cake. If you don’t like lemon on cakes, you can replace it with Orange or Vanilla extract.
I know that Ricotta Cheese is not something that you normally have on hand, just in case you would need a recipe to use your Ricotta Cheese, try this one. Or better yet, just buy one just for this cake, it’s all worth it.
I made this cake several times already, and every time I made it, it is always a hit to my friend. I had made it using different pan size. This one was baked using 5-inch round cake pan. I used cake flour for this one. The texture is lighter and coarser than when I used all-purpose flour. I dusted it with confectioners sugar and I added some almond flakes on top. I like this size for sharing. You can make 2 of this size with this recipe.
This one, I used my 6″ inch round pan. I used all-purpose flour for this one. This size makes 8 small slices. For this one, I used lemon glazed and I added almond flakes for toppings.
The almond flour gave this cake a nice and different texture. All-purpose flour plus almond flour made this cake to be in the dense , soft and moist side. This is the type of texture that I like for a snacking or breakfast cake.
- 2/3 All-Purpose Flour (or Cake Flour. The texture will be like the smaller cake in this photo. Lighter and coarser texture and color.)
- 1/3 Almond Flour (Can be replaced with all-purpose flour, and tsp of Almond Extract instead)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 salt
- 6 tbsp granulated white sugar
- 4 tbsp flavorless oil ( Vegetable, Canola, etc.)
- 1/2 tbsp finely grated lemon zest (Can be replaced with other flavoring like Orange or Vanilla Extract)
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 egg (room temperature) – egg yolk and egg white separated
- 1 tbsp freshly squeeze lemon juice (Can be replaced with other flavoring like Orange)
- 1/4 cream of tartar
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 6 tbsp confectioners/icing sugar
- 2 – 3 tsp lemon juice
- 2 – 3 tbsp cup sliced almonds
- Pre-heat oven to 350F. Prepare 6″ round pan using paper liners or spray with non-stick spray.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mixed together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Whisk 6 tbsp of granulated white sugar, oil and until the mixture is light and fluffy. Beat in the ricotta cheese.
- Add the egg yolk until incorporated.
- Add the flours to the mixture. Do not over mix.
- Add lemon zest and lemon juice.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg white until frothy , around 30 seconds. Add cream of tartar and sugar and beat for another 2-3 minutes until stiff peaks.
- Fold the egg white mixture to the egg yolk and flour mixture in step 5.
- Pour in cake pan. Tap the pan in a flat surface, 2-3 times to release air bubble.
- Sprinkle with almond flakes.
- Pan Size: Muffin/Cupcake Tin : 20 -25 minutes or until top is golden brown and toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Pan Size: 4.5″ mini round pan : 20 – 23 minutes or until top is golden brown and toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Pan Size: 6 ” mini round pan : 35 – 38 minutes or until top is golden brown and toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 15 minutes in the pan, then transfer in wire rack.
- Pour the lemon glaze or dust top with confectioners sugar.
- Let stand for 1 hour or better yet overnight. This will let the cake absorb the lemon glaze.
Prepare the lemon glaze:
- Add lemon juice to the icing sugar and mix until smooth. Depending on the consistency that you like, adjust the sugar or juice as needed. If you want a sweeter and thicker glaze, you will need more sugar and less lemon juice. If you want it thinner, you will need more lemon juice.
Good to know:
- When using Cake Flour – The cake will be lighter , softer and coarser and will have more lift/rise. You have to be careful with the baking time as it has a tendency to be dry easily when you over bake it even for just few minutes. The small cake in this photo used cake flour.
- When using All-purpose flour – The cake will be more dense, soft and moist. The color will be darker/brownish. The big cake in this photo used all-purpose flour.
Thank You for visiting my website, if you like this post, kindly click on the “Like” button below or leave me a comment. I like getting feedback from you.