When you have a craving for chocolate cupcakes, it doesn’t mean you have to bake 12 pieces of them. That’s why I like making small batch recipes, because they are just enough to satisfy my cravings. I had this craving for chocolate cupcake, and I know I must have them, now!
Good thing I have this small batch chocolate cupcakes recipe to rescue me. This recipe makes 4 pieces, just double it up if you want to make bigger batch. This is very quick to whip up and in just few minutes , my cravings was satisfied with these soft and moist cupcakes covered with my favorite Chocolate Ganache Frosting. Let’s get started!
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder – sifted
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ⅛ tsp baking soda
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp plain greek yogurt
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp milk
Note: If you do not have greek yogurt, use 1 whole egg instead.
For the frostings:
- Chocolate Ganache Frosting
- Vanilla Buttercream Frsoting
- Mocha Buttercream Frosting = Vanilla Buttercream Frosting + Brewed Coffee or Instant Coffee. For every 1/4 cup of Vanilla Buttercream Frosting add 1/4 – 1/2 tsp brewed or instant coffee.
- Chocolate Buttercream Frosting = Vanilla Buttercream Frosting + melted dark chocolate. For every 1/4 cup of Vanilla Buttercream Frosting add 1 tbsp melted and cooled dark chocolate.
- Caramel Pastry Cream
- Cookies and Cream Buttercream Frosting
Toppings and Decoration:
- Chocolate Caramel Macarons
- Cookies and Cream Macarons
- Fresh Cherry
- Whisk together wet ingredients: flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and brown sugar.
- Whisk together dry ingredients: egg yolk, oil, greek yogurt, vanilla extract and milk.
- Mix wet and dry ingredients together until combined.
- Spoon into 4 cupcake liners and bake at 350F for 12-14 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Makes 4 medium size cupcakes
The top is coated with Chocolate Ganache and the center is also filled with Chocolate Ganache. I decorated the top with sprinkles.
Assembly : You will need the following:
- Chocolate Cupcakes – recipe shown above.
- Chocolate Ganache Frosting
- Pastry Bag – This is going to hold the frosting/filling.
- Decorating Tip. I used Wilton tip # 230. This tip is specially designed for filling cupcakes. If you do not have one, you can manually create a small hole in the center of the cupcake using measuring spoon , size 1/4. This size is enough to scoop out and create small hole in the center.
- Frosting and toppings for decorations.
Black Forrest Cupcake : The top is covered with Chocolate Ganache and the center is filled with Chocolate Ganache. The frostisng is Chococlate Buttercream Frosting, top with cherry and sprinkled with shaved white chocolate.
How to fill cupcakes with filling:
- Assemble the pastry bag with the decorating tip, then fill the pastry bag with Chocolate Ganache.
- If you don’t have pastry bag and decorating tip, just manually create a small hole in the center of the cupcake. Use a 1/4 tsp measuring spoon, then pour Chocolate Ganache in the hole, then proceed to step 4.
- If you don’t want to put frosting inside, then proceed to step 4.
- Hold the pastry bag straight and insert it in the center of the cupcake. Push past 3/4 of the cupcake only. DO NOT push beyond the bottom of the cupcake. You want it to be contained inside , not overflowing underneath.
- Squeeze the pastry bag to let the frosting come out. Gently pull it up as you squeeze until you are almost at the top. When you can already see some of the frosting on the top, it’s time to stop.
- Now, it’s time to dip and dunk your cupcake. Hold the cupcake at the bottom, and dip the top into the Chocolate Ganache Frosting. Do not go beyond the cupcake liners. Take it out, and tap it slowly to allow frosting to drip.
- Turn the cupcake up and slightly tap on the table top or counter to allow the frosting to spread evenly and to create a smooth surface.
- Set aside and let the frosting to settle.
- Optional: Add toppings and Enjoy!
Try it and let me know how it goes. Feel free to share this recipe, and lets get the community baking!♥