I love Shorbread Cookie. Its simple to make with few basic ingredients and it taste really good. I love it plain or chocolate coated like my Chocolate Ganache Shortbread Cookie. I love the smooth texture of this cookie and the buttery and creamy taste. I had been using this Shortbread Pie Crust whenever I make my Chocolate Banana Shortbread Tart. The hard and crunchy texture is perfect to hold filling like Pastry Cream or Chocolate Buttercream Whipped Frosting. This is a very handy recipe to have. Let’s get started!
- 1 cup (130 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup (35 grams) confectioners sugar (powdered or icing sugar)
- 1/2 cup (113 grams) cold unsalted butter, cut into small chunks
- Lightly butter, or spray with a non stick vegetable spray, an 6, 8 or 9 inch (18,20,23 cm) tart pan with a removable bottom.
- In your food processor, place the flour, sugar, and salt and process to combine.
- Add the cold butter and pulse until the pastry starts to come together and form clumps.
- Transfer the pastry to the prepared pan and, using your fingertips, evenly press the pastry onto the bottom and up the sides of the pan. (Can use the back of a spoon to smooth the surface of the pastry.)
- Gently pierce the bottom of the crust with the tines of a fork. (This will prevent the pastry crust from puffing up while it bakes.)
- Cover and place the pastry crust in the freezer for 15 minutes to chill. (This will help prevent the crust from shrinking while it bakes.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and place rack in the center of the oven.
- Place the tart pan on a larger baking sheet and bake the crust until golden brown, about 20 – 25 minutes or until the edge starts to brown
- . Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool. It is now ready to be filled.
- If desired, seal the cooled crust with melted chocolate. The shortbread crust can be covered and stored for a few days.
Try it and let me know how it goes. Feel free to share this recipe and let’s get the community baking!♥
Recipe adapted from: Joy of Baking