I love Shorbread Cookie. Its simple to make with few basic ingredients and it taste really good. I love it plain or chocolate coated like my Chocolate Ganache Shortbread Cookie. I love the smooth texture of this cookie and the buttery and creamy taste. I had been using this Shortbread Pie Crust whenever I make my Chocolate Banana Shortbread Tart. The hard and crunchy texture is perfect to hold filling like Pastry Cream or Chocolate Buttercream Whipped Frosting. This is a very handy recipe to have. Let’s get started!
- 1 cup (130 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup (35 grams) confectioners sugar (powdered or icing sugar)
- 1/2 cup (113 grams) COLD unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and place rack in the center of the oven.
- Prepare the Pan: Lightly butter, or spray with a non stick vegetable spray, an 6, 8 or 9 inch (18, 20, 23 cm) tart pan with a removable bottom. Using a removable tart pan makes it easy to remove after baking without breaking the tart. If want to serve the tart straight from the pan, you can use a regular pan (non-removable) and directly slice the tart when ready to serve.
- Make the Dough: In your food processor, place the flour, sugar, and salt and process to combine. Add the cold butter and pulse until the pastry starts to come together and form clumps.
- Transfer in a Pan: Transfer the pastry to the prepared pan and, using your fingertips, evenly press the pastry onto the bottom and up the sides of the pan. (You can also use the back of a spoon to smooth the surface of the pastry.)
- Pierce: Gently pierce the bottom of the crust with the tines of a fork. This will prevent the pastry crust from puffing up while it bakes.
- Chill: Cover and place the pastry crust in the freezer for 15 minutes to chill. This will help prevent the crust from shrinking while it bakes.
- Bake: Place the tart pan on a larger baking sheet and bake the crust until golden brown, about 20 – 25 minutes or until the edge starts to brown
- Cool: Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool. It is now ready to be filled.
If desired, seal the cooled crust with melted chocolate. The shortbread crust can be covered and stored for a few days.
My Latest Video
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.
Recipe adapted from: Joy of Baking