I’m always on a look out for simple and quick recipe to make. Sometimes I feel that 24 hours is not enough for me to finish what I need to do in a day. But even with my busy day, I always find time to bake something.
For me, baking is my way of relaxation, it never fails to relax and cheer me up. If I could bake every day, I would. Unfortunately, I cannot. Sometimes it is just difficult to find time.
This is where simple recipe like this comes handy. This is so easy to make, with very basic ingredients, and one bowl mixing only. Yes, you just mix everything in one bowl, this also means less mess to clean up, and since it is so easy, you have your cake in less than 1 hour. How great is that? This is your cake if you have one of those times where you want your cake NOW!
This cake can be mix directly in the baking pan. Although I prefer to mix it in a round mixing bowl and then transfer it to pan once done. It made the mixing easier as there are no corners where the batter could get stuck. But if you are really in a hurry, and don’t even want to wash a bowl, then go ahead and mix of right into the pan. Just make sure to reach out the corners and mix well. Let’s get started!
This is a good base when you want to make a flavored chocolate cake. This is the one I used for my Orange Chocolate Cake. Check out that post, if you love this plain, you will also love it with Orange flavor.
- 1 1/2 cups (195 grams) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (150grams) granulated white sugar
- 1/4 cup (25 grams) unsweetened natural cocoa powder (not Dutch-processed), sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup (75 grams) unsalted butter, melted or flavourless oil
- 1 cup (240 ml) warm water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (or vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Frosting Options: Any of these frosting will work great. I used the first option
- Whipped Chocolate Ganache: 1 batch of Chocolate Ganache + 1/4 cup Whipped Cream (Homemade or Store-Bought)
- Put the frosting in the fridge for 20 minutes after adding the whipped cream to the chocolate ganache. Take out from the fridge whisk until soft and fluffy.
- Chocolate Buttercream Whipped Frosting
- Chocolate Ganache
- Preheat oven to 350F (177C) and place rack in center of oven. In an un-greased 8 inch (20 cm) square cake pan
- Dry Ingredients: In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Wet Ingredients: Add the cooled melted butter, water, lemon juice, and vanilla extract. Mix all the ingredients together until well blended.
- Transfer: Transfer in an 8-inch square pan and level the top using back of a spoon or spatula.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 30 – 35 minutes, or until the cake springs back when lightly pressed and a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool.
If you like this post, kindly give that “Like”button below a click, or leave me a comment. I would love to hear from you.
Note: The photos in this post shows only a small batch. I divided the recipe into half and used my 5 x 5 square baking pan, baked at 350F for 25 minutes.
Try it and let me know how it goes. Feel free to share this recipe and let’s get the community baking!♥
Adapted from Joy of Baking with my minor modifications