This simple dessert is to die for! For me, anything that uses coconut milk is a must try dish. Coconut milk has a very tropical flavor that gives so much natural creaminess to any food that uses it. Just like the way it made the Spicy Shrimp in Thai Coconut Sauce and Red Chicken Curry in Coconut Sauce thick and creamy.
The last time I had this Coconut Mango Sticky Rice is when I first went back to visit my family in the Philippines 2 years ago. This was one of the dessert that we ordered when we had our last lunch before I left. Although I loved it, I never thought of it again until now because of my extra supply of ripe and sweet Mango.
I made Mango Shortbread Custard Tart for my mom’s birthday and I went overboard buying Mango. I don’t regret it though, because I love eating Mango even on its own. Mango is one of my favorite fruit, and I try to enjoy it as much as I can whenever the Mango season starts. Here in Canada, Mango starts showing up in the supermarket around April until August when summer ends.
Since I have quite a lot of Mango left, I started thinking of a dessert where I can use it. I wanted something simple, something that would remind me of home. Then I thought of making my version of Coconut Mango Sticky Rice.
The sticky rice is very soft, creamy and with intense coconut flavor which pairs very well with the sweet ripe Mango. This version is very simple, but it taste really good. I Let me show you how I did it. Let’s get started!
- 1/2 cup sticky rice/glutinous rice
- 1 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp granulated white sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract – optional
- 2 ripe Mango – Thinly sliced
- Wash the sticky rice, then soak for 2 hours minimum (overnight recommended).
- Transfer the sticky rice in a pan.
- Pour coconut milk, add sugar ad vanilla extract then simmer in medium low heat while continuously mixing until the coconut milk evaporates making the consistency sticky and thick (around 30 minutes). Do not leave unattended as it gets burned easily.
- Transfer in a greased plate and arrange sliced Mango on the side.
Best serve warm. If you refrigerate it, microwave it for 2 minutes and stir to bring back the soft texture. You can reduce the cooking time if you want to have it slightly runny similar to the one of the photo above.
Quote of the Day
A perfect meal is the one that ends with a dessert ~ SweetNSpicy
Enjoy! If you make this, share and tag me in Instagram #SweetNSpicyLiving. I would like to see your creations too.
My Latest Video
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.