How To Make Homemade Cinnamon Apple Filling
This simple and easy Cinnamon Apple Filling is perfect for apple pie, turnover, muffin and tart. I have recipes below on where you can use it, check the related posts at the end.
I used to buy pie filling in the store whenever I need one, until I learned how to make my own. Homemade pie filling is very easy to make, I cannot believe it took me this long to realize it. Best part of it, I am actually using fresh fruits and there is no preservatives added to it. What you see is what you get.
I love that I can customize it according to my taste when it comes to how sweet I want it to be. I can even add nuts to it and adjust the amount of cinnamon that goes it. This pie filling is perfect for apple pie, Apple Turnover or Mini Pecan Pie. Let’s get started!
- 2 Large Granny Smith Apple – peeled and diced
- 2 tbsp Lemon juice
- 2 cups water (to submerge cut apples, doesn’t have to be exact)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (or a mix of half brown and half white sugar)
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- pinch of salt
- 1/8 – 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp slightly chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
Note: For a big batch, use 1/3 cup sugar, 2 tbsp cornstarch and the rest of the ingredients are the same measurement. Cook for 20 – 25 minutes or until soft and sauce is reduce.
Note: Click the photo to see the description
- Peel and dice the apples and transfer to a large bowl with 2 cups of water and lemon juice. This will prevent browning while you peel the rest of the apples.
- Transfer diced apples in a pan. Add sugar, cornstarch, salt and cinnamon. Stir until sugar is fully melted. Cover and simmer for 10 – 12 minutes or until the sauce thickens and reduced. Add butter and mix until butter is fully melted. Add walnuts or pecans (if using) and stir. Set aside to cool, then refrigerate.
Makes 500ml serving
Before you go, kindly click on the “Like“button below if you like this post, or leave me a comment. I would like to hear from you. Please don’t forget to subscribe.