I used to buy pie filling in the store whenever I need one, until I learned how to make my own. Homemade pie filling is very easy to make, I cannot believe it took me this long to realize it. Best part of it, I am actually using fresh fruits and there is no preservatives added to it. What you see is what you get.
I love that I can customize it according to my taste when it comes to how sweet I want it to be. I can even add nuts to it and adjust the amount of cinnamon that goes it. This pie filling is perfect for apple pie, Apple Turnover or Mini Pecan Pie. Let’s get started!
- 3 Granny’s Apple
- 2 tbsp Lemon juice
- 2 cups water (to submerge cut apples, doesn’t have to be exact)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp granulated white sugar
- 4 tbsp brown sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp slightly chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
Note: Click the photo to see the description
- Peel and dice the apples and transfer to a large bowl with 2 cups of water and lemon juice. This will prevent browning. Set aside.
- Melt 2 tbsp butter in a pan.
- Add sugars, cinnamon and salt. Stir until sugar is fully melted then add the sliced apples.
- In a medium heat, bring to a boil for 15 minutes or until the sauce thickens and reduced. Add walnuts or pecans (if using) and stir. Set aside to cool, then refrigerate any leftover.
Before you go, kindly click on the “Like“button below if you like this post, or leave me a comment. I would like to hear from you. Please don’t forget to subscribe.