I used to buy pie filling in the store whenever I need one, until I learned how to make my own. Homemade pie filling is very easy to make, I cannot believe it took me this long to realize it. Best part of it, I am actually using fresh fruits and there is no preservatives added to it. What you see is what you get.
I love that I can customize it according to my taste when it comes to how sweet I want it to be. I can even add nuts to it and adjust the amount of cinnamon that goes it. This pie filling is perfect for apple pie, apple turnover or apple tarts. Let’s get started!
- Puff Pastry (Homemade or Store-bought)
- 2 Granny Smith Apple – cut into small cubes
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp granulated white sugar
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tbsp slightly chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
- 2 tbsp Lemon juice
- 2 cups water (to submerge cut apples, doesn’t have to be exact)
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp brown sugar to sprinkle on top before baking
Note: Click the photo to see the description
- Peel and dice the apples and transfer to a large bowl with 2 cups of water and lemon juice. This will prevent browning. Set aside.
- Melt 2 tbsp butter in a pan.
- Add sugars, cinnamon and salt. Stir until sugar is fully melted.
- Add the sliced apples.
- In a medium heat, bring to a boil for 10- 15 minutes or until the sauce thickens and reduced.
- Add walnuts or pecans and stir.
- Set aside to cool, then refrigerate any leftover.
Try it and let me know how it goes. Feel free to share this recipe and let’s get the community baking!♥