I’ve always been drawn to the vibrant red color of beets, but I honestly do not know what to do with it. I was first introduced to beets as a pickled vegetables that goes as a side or salad. I was looking for recipe on what I can do with beets and a lot of them are mostly for use in salad, which works for me. I have to say that this vegetable got more than just a nice color, it actually taste nice when prepared properly.
Among other ways to eat it, I particularly like it picked in a slightly salty and sweet brine or as a shredded salad like this. Most common method of cooking beets is by boiling it in hot water to get it soft and tender, but I don’t go with this method. I prefer to bake the beets for about 40 – 45 minutes until it gets soft but not mushy. I found that baking the beets help it retain its vibrant color which is the main attractive characteristic of beets, so why lose it by boiling it. By baking it, it also helped keep the texture firmer rather than mushy because it doesn’t absorb more water. The end product is a soft beets with vibrant red color and nice crunchy texture.
This salad is perfect to go as a side for meat dishes. It has a sweet, salty and slightly sour taste and a nice crunch. Let me show you how I made it. Let’s get started!
- 3 small size beets (approx 140 grams) – cut thinly lengthwise
- 1 small carrots (approx 200 grams) – cut thinly lengthwise
- 1 small white onion – cut thinly lengthwise
- 1 1/2 tsp salt (I used fine salt)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar (If using a stronger vinegar, you might want to cut down the measurement)
- Cut beets, carrots and onions thinly. I like cutting them lengthwise.
- Pour vinegar, then add salt and sugar. Toss to combine.
- Transfer in a jar or bowl and refrigerate overnight.
That’s it! As simple as that and you got yourself a nice sweet and sour side salad dish. If you like this recipe, kindly click on the “Like“button below, or leave me a comment.
Enjoy! If you make this, share and tag me in Instagram #SweetNSpicyLiving. I would like to see your creations too.
My Latest Video
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.