This White Beans with Spinach and Tomato is a simple and healthy meal option not to mention budget friendly too. This is a one pan super easy meal that you can cook in 30 minutes or less.
We have to make more simple and easy meals especially for busy days. This dish qualifies as you can make it in less than 30 minutes. It’s quick, it’s simple and easy and very flexible too. Ok, it’s not as easy as opening a ready to eat canned beans, but less than 30 minutes is not that much to sacrifice for a healthier option meal, and you can even add veggies on it which is a bonus point.
Beans, love it or hate it? The reason why I asked is because not everybody likes beans and some people love it so much. In the Philippines, we don’t really have a lot of dishes using beans, in fact I grew up liking the canned beans version with sauce and not the homemade stew like this. But nonetheless, I thought it’s about time a make my own beans stew at home. It’s more like a comfort food for rainy and cold weather, but I don’t mind having it as well on regular weather day. It’s a filling meal after all.
I’ve added quite a lot of different peppers in this dish because I always like my savory dishes spicy (hence the website name SweetNSpicyLiving) but if you do not like spicy stuff, just omit or reduce some of the peppers in this recipe, but leave the paprika as it gave a nice smokey taste to the beans stew. This can be enjoyed on its own, but it is best paired with a bread, I like dipping my bread and using it to scoop out the beans. I like how the bread taste after it’s been coated with the sauce. Or other times I like having it with rice too, like Chili. The choice is yours, have it the way you like it and Enjoy! Let’s get started!
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp paprika (for smokey flavor)
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper – chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 cans butter beans 540ml (lima beans or white kidney beans), drained and rinsed
- 1 cup canned tomatoes
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 large handfuls spinach roughly chopped
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over a medium heat. Add the onions and fry, stirring continuously, for 3-5 minutes until translucent but not browned.
- Add the garlic, paprika, cayenne pepper, jalapeno pepper, sugar, chili flakes and black pepper. Fry for a further minute to extract the flavor of the spices. If you do not like it to be spicy, simply reduce the amount of peppers.
- Add the vegetable broth, beans, tomatoes and tomato sauce. Stir well and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, checking regularly so it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- As it finishes, stir the spinach and cook until wilted.
There you go. A simple and quick meals for you to make. I hope you’ll give it a try.
Meat Free Monday: Small Batch Vegetarian Beans Chili
My Soup Collection Videos
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.
FOLLOW ME Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter
Categories: Cooking, Recipe, Vegetarian
Looks tasty 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person
LikeLiked by 1 person