Friday Drink Day ♥♥
With the weather getting warmer and warmer everyday, I think we could all agree that we need something that will cool us off and keep us feeling refresh. Since it is Summer, I am making a seasonal post just for the Summer season and this will happen on Fridays. I am calling it Friday Drinks and Frozen Day 🙂 The post will mostly be about Summer drinks and frozen treats to keep up cool and comfy during the Summer season. If it is not Summer where you are right now, do not worry because you can always go back and search for these recipes whenever Summer arrives in your area or you are just feeling to get chilled. Some of the drinks that I am sharing here and even the smoothie can be made any day of the year.
With the hot summer weather we are currently having, all I can think of is to drink and drink and drink. I just want something refreshing to drink, something light and non-carbonated too. Summer is the time of the year when coffee shops big or small starts promoting more and more cold ice tea drinks or different flavors and variations. I favor this kind of drink over pop or carbonated drinks because I find cold fruity tea drinks more refreshing and light.
Hi there 🙂 As the heat continue everyday, and so as my ice tea making series. Today we are making another variation of ice tea but with a slight twist in the process. We are going to make a cold brew Peach Mint Ice Tea, so refreshing, light and with nice subtle peach and mint flavor. It’s made using a cold brew process as opposed to steep tea process that I used from my previous ice tea variations. Making a cold brew iced tea do not require any special machine, you don’t even need ti boil hot water, all you need is patience, but it’s totally worth it. So don’t run away from me, let’s me tell you what cold brew tea, how you can make it at home and why it is worth the wait making this tea.
What is cold brew tea?
Cold brew tea is tea steeped in cold or room temperature water for an extended period of time. The cold brew steeping process brews the tea leaves slowly, using time rather than temperature to release the flavors.
Cold brew tea vs hot tea, what is the difference?
- Taste: Aside from cold brew uses room temperature water or cold water plus longer steeping time, the difference between the two lies greatly in the taste. Cold brew tea tends to be milder and sweet tasting tea without a trace of bitterness in it. When room temperature or cold water is used to steep tea, there is very little (or non at all) heat to release the tannin and caffeine in the tea, resulting in a smooth sweet tasting tea.
- Transparency – Cold brew tea are usually crystal clear
- Less Caffeine – Although it still contains caffeine, it has less in it compare to hot tea or iced tea
- No bitter taste – because it has less tannin which makes it less astringent, cold brew tea do not have bitter taste like when you over steep a hot tea.
Ingredients to make cold brew Peach Iced Tea
- Tea Bags – I’m using Earl Grey, you can use other mild neutral tea
- Sugar Syrup or Honey – This will act as the sweetener for the tea which is basically just sugar dissolved in water. You can also use honey or any plant based sweetener
- Peach – I used fresh Peach, frozen peaches will work too but I wouldn’t suggest canned peaches
- Mint Leaves – for a nice minty flavor. If you are not a fun of mint, you can skip on it.
How to make cold brew tea at home
Making a cold brew tea is not difficult at all. Although it is not as quick and ready to drink as compared to steep iced tea, but it is totally worth it. You’ll start by filling a jar with room temperature or cold water instead of boiling water. Then leave the tea bags submerge in the water for about 4 -6 hours. Because of the length of time needed to make cold brew tea, it is recommended to make it at night and leave it in the fridge overnight. This way, you don’t have to count the hours waiting for it. Go to bed, sleep and wake up with a glass of col new tea waiting for you the following day. Once you have the tea bags submerge, pour in the sugar sweetener (or honey) which is basically a sugar syrup. A combination of water and sugar. You can also use honey but make sure to dissolve the honey in hot water and let it cool before pouring it in the tea mixture. You can also use any plant based sweetener of your choice. Add in slices of fruit and mint leaves, this will give a nice infused flavor, but you can also have it plain. Let sit and chill in the refrigerator overnight. When ready to serve, pour in a glass with ice cubes and more sliced fruits.
What tea will work for this?
I used Earl Grey tea, you can other tea flavor but you make sure to choose the right fruit that will work with it. Fruit flavored tea will work as well, I find that any mild tea works best for this tea. There’s no right or wrong in making this tea, it’s homemade anyway so make it your own version and creation.
What sweetener to use when making cold brew tea?
I like to use honey or simple syrup. Simple syrup is just sugar that’s been heated and dissolved in water, and it’s the best way to add sweetness to cold tea. I used honey to sweeten the drink, you can use other sweeter but you may have to adjust the measurement. 1/3 cup of honey is not the same as 1/3 cup of granulated sugar in terms of sweetness, as honey is sweeter than sugar. Add gradually and play around with it.
Can I make this unsweetened?
Definitely! If you prefer unsweetened tea, just skip the step where you add the sweetener. Simply steep the tea overnight, add peach slices and mint and pour in a glass with ice.
- 4 cups Water – for the tea
- 4 Tea Bags – Earl Grey (or any mild neutral tea variation)
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup Honey (or any other sweetener of your choice)
- 2 Large Ripe Peaches
- Ice Cubes
- Dissolve the Honey: Transfer the honey in a small microwaveable container or glass. From the 4 cups of water, take 2 tbsp and add it in the honey. Microwave the honey for 30 seconds then stir until the honey is fully dissolved.
- Sugar Syrup Option: If you do not want to use honey, you can make sugar syrup instead. Sugar Syrup is water + granulated sugar. Mix an equal part sugar and water (1/3 cup sugar + 1/3 water or however sweet you like it). Bring to a boil until the sugar is fully dissolved. Cool completely before adding to the tea.
- Mix Water, Sweetener: Pour water in a container, add the honey or sugar syrup, sliced peaches and mint leaves. Stir then put the tea bags and chill the tea in the refrigerator 4-6 hours. It is recommended to do this at night so that you just have to leave it overnight in the refrigerator.
Makes 4 cups
- Sweetener measurement will vary depending on what type of sweetener you use. Add gradually and adjust taste as needed.
Enjoy! If you make this, share and tag me in Instagram #SweetNSpicyLiving. I would like to see your creations too.
If you are not feeling like making a cold brew tea, I have few other options below to keep you cool all Summer long.
- Smooth & Creamy Mango Lassi
- [VIDEO] Sugar Free Strawberry Pineapple Cooler
- Strawberry Mango Slushie
- Single Serving Strawberry Banana Smoothie
- Summer Kick-off with Mango Creamsicle
- Overnight Banana Oatmeal Smoothie
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.