I’ve done mushroom soup quite a lot of time, changing little things here and there to make it slightly different every time. In the first Mushroom Soup that I featured in my website, I added shredded chicken in it to make it more filling. I always make my own broth and I like shredding the chicken meat to give the soup more flavor and texture. That recipe was the inspiration for this version, this time it is Cream of Mushroom Soup with Chunky Mushroom Slices. As the title says, it’s a combination of a creamy smooth soup base with the addition of thing sliced caramelized mushroom, you really have to try this.
It is getting colder and colder everyday now. Although we do not get much snow in Vancouver and very rare that we have white Christmas, still the Winter temperature is more than cold enough to merit a bowl of hot comforting soup. I have a lot of soup recipe in my website, but this Mushroom Soup is one of my favorite and the most frequent soup that I make, from scratch. I used to buy canned and powdered mushroom soup, until I realized how easy it was to make my own mushroom soup at home. Never again did I went back to canned and powdered mushroom soup, and it is one of the best decision I’ve made so far. Guys, homemade is often (if not always) better than store-bought. So I encourage you to give this a try, make your own mushroom soup at home. Guaranteed you will not regret it. Not only that it is budget friendly, you get to customize it to your own preference. The thickness, the creaminess, and you can even make it vegan by just using vegan butter, milk and vegetable broth.
How To Make Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Start by making the caramelized mushroom and onion, this simply means cooking the mushroom and onion until nicely browned and the juice has total evaporated. This will give a nice flavor to the soup.
- Instead of using heavy cream to make the soup creamy, make a roux (cooked flour and butter). Roux, along with the milk and puréed mushroom is what will make the soup thick and creamy. Making a roux is simply cooking the butter and the flour, it is a 1:1 ratio. The key to making the roux is first getting the right ratio of butter to flour and using cold milk to avoid forming lumps. Hot roux + cold milk = no lumps. Then the technique of adding and stirring the mixture while gradually adding the liquid. It is very important to gradually add the liquid while continuously stirring the mixture to avoid getting lumps. The measure of a properly done roux is a thick, creamy consistency without any lumps. Once the roux is done, you’ll just combine the 3/4 of caramelized mushroom and the roux mixture and simmer for 5 minutes.
- To make the soup creamy, transfer the soup into a blender and puree it until smooth and creamy. You can also use an immersion blender. Once puréed, return to the pan and add milk. For additional texture, mix chunky mushroom and onion. For garnishing, you can also add some caramelized mushroom and onion. You can also sprinkle some parmesan cheese on top.
Note: A Roux is flour and fat (butter) cooked together to make a paste. It is used to thicken sauces.
My Other Soup Videos:
If you are looking for other soup to make, checkout my soup video collection. All the recipes are in my website. Keep yourself warm. Enjoy!
- 4 tbsp unsalted Butter (2 tbsp for mushroom and Onion, 2 tbsp for making roux)
- 1/2 cup sliced White Onions
- 3 cups fresh sliced Mushrooms ( White or Brown Mushroom will work)
- 2 tablespoon All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt (Adjust to your preference)
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper (Adjust to your preference)
- 1/4 teaspoon Dried Thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup COLD Full Fat Milk
- 1 cup Chicken Broth (or vegetable broth to make it vegetarian)
- Cook the Mushroom and Onion: In a heated pan in low heat, melt 2 tablespoon of butter. Add onion, mushrooms, salt, pepper, thyme and sugar. Sauté for 15 minutes and cover until the water from the mushroom evaporates. You should have something that looks like a caramelized onions with mushroom. Set aside 2 tbsp of sautéed mushroom and onion for garnishing. If you do not want any chucks of mushroom in your soup, you can skip this and puree all the mushroom and onion mixture.
- Make the Roux: Using the pan you used to saute mushroom and onions, add 2 tbsp butter and melt in low heat. Do not wash the pan, you want to use the juices left in the pan, this will give additional flavor. Once butter is fully melted, add all-purpose flour and quickly and continuously stir for 1 minute, or until it turns into a paste. You are making a roux to make the mushroom creamy. Slowly add milk, 1/4 cup at a time, while continuously whisking. I used wire whisk to do this. Do NOT leave the mixture unattended as it will start to create lumps from cooked flour, continue whisking to maintain smooth consistency. Add the chicken broth and continue whisking until smooth.. At this stage, you now have roux.
- Blend the Mixture: Pour 3/4 cup of this mixture in the blender with the cooked mushrooms and onions. Puree the mixture until smooth and creamy. Return the puree mushroom and onion to the roux mixture in step 2. Add the milk, 3 tbsp shredded cheese and stir until fully melted and combined.
- Simmer: Simmer for 10 more minutes or until you get the consistency that you like. If you like it thicker, you need to simmer it longer to reduce it. I like mine in between, not too thick, not too thin. It took about 10 minutes.
- Serve: Transfer in a bowl and garnish the top with the mushroom and onion that was set aside in step 1, plus some parmesan cheese on top.
How To Make Vegan Mushroom Soup
To make this vegan, simply replace the chicken broth with vegetable broth, and instead of milk, juts use an equivalent amount of broth or non-dairy milk like Almond, Coconut or Soy Milk. You can also replace the parmesan cheese with vegan cheese or completely omit it.
- 12 Fall Soup To Keep You Warm
- Rosemary Dinner Rolls
- Homemade Soft Bread Bowl
- [VIDEO] Egg Drop Corn Soup
- [VIDEO] Creamy Potato & Shrimp Chowder
- Small Batch Baked Beef & Hotdog Chili Stew
- Small Batch Minestrone Soup
- Coconut Curried Butternut Squash Soup
- Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
- Small Batch Mexican Chili
My Latest Video
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.
FOLLOW SWEETNSPICYLIVING ON SOCIAL MEDIA
Leave a Reply