Soup is a great way to keep us warm on cold rainy or snowy day. It can be a meal on its own, or pre-meal item to compete your meal. This soup makes use of leftover rotisserie chicken. I love buying rotisserie chicken for so many reasons. They are juicy, flavorful and delicious. Not to mention, budget friendly and there are so many ways I can use them. I always have the leg, thigh and wing with salad and I reserve the breast for use in other dish, like this soup. Chicken breast is great use for soup, stew, for wraps and many more. With the use of rotisserie chicken; this soup comes in 15 minutes or less. What’s left for you to do is to sauté, seasoning and simmer, how difficult it that?
About This Recipe
- Ease in Making the Recipe: This falls in the category of easy, and made even easier by using a rotisserie chicken. You just need to sauté most of the ingredients and simmer it in a broth. That’s how easy it is.
- Ingredients: Like the process, the ingredients are every simple as well. You can easily find them in the grocery. This soup recipe is a good way to use leftover chicken or turkey, but you can also use fresh if that is what you have. The vegetable which is Kale can be substituted with Spinach or maybe even cabbage. This is a pretty flexible recipe, don’t fear of messing it up. It’s a soup, how can you mess up a soup this easy.
- Texture, Taste & Flavor: This is a broth style soup with plenty of texture from the chicken, kale, sundried tomato and celery. It is also packed with flavor from different kind of herbs and spices. I like how the sundried tomato gave this soup a really flavorful delicious taste. You can also turn this into any creamy by adding small amount of cream, either way you go is good. I prefer to keep it light so I kept it without cream. I have a lot of smooth and creamy soup recipe in my website, check out the featured post at the end of this blog.
- Make-Ahead: Yes, you can make this ahead of time. That is one good thing about this soup, you can make it days in advance and keep it refrigerated. You can even freeze it for a month. It’s such a good feeling to have a soup on hand that you can serve when you want it.
Ingredients for Tuscan Chicken Soup
- Chicken – for a faster easier soup, I made this using a rotisserie chicken. You can also use fresh chicken but buying whole rotisserie chicken is a lot more cheaper plus you can use a lot of it for other recipes.
- Seasoning and Spices – I often say this, when it comes to soup, the seasoning and spices are pretty flexible. The basic ones are salt and pepper, the dried or fresh herbs are flexible to be change. I like using Italian seasoning because it is already a blend of different herbs, if you do it have it, use a mix of Oregano, Basil, Thyme, Rosemary, Sage etc
- Vegetable – just like the spices, the vegetables are flexible too. I used Kale because I have a LOT of them in my freezer, you can also use Spinach, cabbage , Brussels Sprouts just to name a few. Sundried Tomato gave a really nice depth of flavor, so buy some just for this recipe, it’s worth it. Worst comes to worst, use Cherry Tomatoes
- Broth – Because this is a chicken soup, I used Chicken broth, you can also use vegetable broth. I used my homemade chicken broth but any store bought will work as well.
How to Make Tuscan Chicken Soup
Preparing the ingredients is always the first start. Shred or cut the chicken in cubes if you are using fresh chicken. Cut the aromatics and vegetables and have the seasoning and spices ready. Having the ingredients ready makes the process easier.
Sauté the chicken with celery, onion, sundried tomato, seasonings and spices. Have the chicken nicely seared and brown before adding the broth. If using rotisserie chicken, you only need to simmer it for 5 minutes as the chicken is already cook. If using fresh chicken, cook for 10 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked before adding the Kale. Add the Kale and cook for 2 -3 minutes more. Turn-off the heat, the remaining heat will continue to cook the Kale. Cook until the Kale is cook to your liking. That’s it! ENJOY!
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup chopped Celery
- 1/4 cup chopped Yellow Onion
- 3 pieces Sundried Tomato chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic – minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried Thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked Paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 small Chicken Breast
- 2 cups Chicken Broth
- 1/2 cup Kale – chopped
- Sundried Tomato – substitute with fresh Cherry Tomato. There will be slight difference in taste but will still taste good.
- Italian Seasoning – substitute with mix herbs like Oregano, Rosemary, Sage etc.
- Chicken Broth – substitute with vegetable broth
- Kale – substitute with Spinach
- In a heated pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the celery and onion and saute until translucent. Add the garlic, sundried tomato, thyme, Italian Seasoning, paprika,salt, black pepper and chicken. Saute for few minutes. Let sit for 2 minutes, then stir and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently, until seared. This will bring out the flavor of the spices and sundried tomato.
- Pour the chicken stock to the pot and stir, scraping the bottom of the pot to de-glaze. Simmer for about 5 minutes then add the Kale. Simmer for 2 -3 minutes more or until the Kale is cook to your liking. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
Nutritional Information was calculated using Veryfitwell Recipe Calorie and Nutrition Calculator. For details about Nutritional Information in this website, please read the Disclaimer page.
My Latest Video
Click the item to get the full recipe
- Vegetarian Lasagna Soup
- French Onion Soup
- Potato and Shrimp Chowder
- Creamy Broccoli and Cheese Soup
- Chicken Mami Soup
- Cauliflower Soup
- Smooth and Creamy Leek Soup
- Butternut Squash Soup
- Potato and Leek Soup
- Asparagus Soup
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.
FOLLOW SWEETNSPICYLIVING ON SOCIAL MEDIA
This looks really delicious. Perfect on a chilly night.
LikeLiked by 1 person
and chilly night is what we had been getting for days now 🙂 soup is like a warm hug in a bowl 🙂