Garlic Bok Choy is a simple vegetarian and gluten free dish that can be served with steamed rice, noodles or as a side dish on its own. Simple, budget friendly and a great way to get your daily dose of vegetable for the day.
We don’t have Bok Choy in the Philippines, but we have an equivalent called “Pechay”, it look almost the same only bigger (like the big Bok Choy) We used it more for soup or stew, or as side dish like this recipe. It is a quite cheap vegetable and it can feed a large family, it cooks fast and almost versatile and can be used easily. We may not have it here in Canada but I am happy I have found Bok Choy. it does the job, just as good as Pechay. I cannot believe I am saying this, but I think I like Bok Choy more than I realize.
What are the Ingredient for Garlic Bok Choy
- Bok Choy – large or mini Bok Choy both works but I prefer the mini Bok Choy, they cook faster and each piece (or more) is like one bite serving potion
- Garlic – Fresh garlic for better flavor
- Soy Sauce – I just use regular soy suave, but this can be replaced by Oyster Sauce or Teriyaki Sauce for thicker sauce and intense sweet salty flavor
- Green Onion – adds a nice flavor to the sauce
- Sugar – adds sweet taste to the suave. If you are using Oyster Sauce, add the sugar gradually as you might not need all of it. Adjust to the sweetness level that you like
- Red Chili Flakes – adds a kick of eat to the sweet and salty sauce. If you don’t like spicy food, you can omit it
- Water – for blanching the Bok Choy
- Oil – regular oil is fine, but if you have sesame oil that adds a nice flavor
How to Make Garlic Bok Choy
As I mentioned at the start, this is such an easy recipe. Let’s stray by cooking the Bok Choy. Heat the water and blanch the Bok Choy for 1 minute or until the Bok Choy starts to wilt.! Remove from the water and transfer in a serving dish.
Now make the sauce. Add the oil in a heated pan, followed by the garlic, green onion soy sauce, sugar and red Chili flakes. Cook for 1 minute then pour into the blanched Bok Choy. I like to sprinkle some sesame seed on top, totally optional it makes the presentation better.
- 12 pieces Mini Bok Choy
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 1/3 Cup Green Onion – chopped
- 2 clove Garlic – chopped
- 1 tablespoon Soy Sauce
- 2 tablespoon Water
- 1/2 teaspoon Cornstarch
- 2 teaspoon Sugar
- 1/8 Red Chili Flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon Sesame Seed
- 1 teaspoon Sesame Oil
- Cook the Bok Choy: Bring the water to a boil. Wash the Bok Choy making sure to rinse the inside to remove the dirt. Transfer in the boiling water and blanch for 1 minute or until wilted. Remove and transfer in a strainer to remove excess water
- Make the Sauce. Add the oil in a heated pan. Followed by garlic, green onion, soy sauce, sugar and red Chili flakes. Cook for 1 minute. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
- Serve: Transfer the Bok Choy in a serving plate. Pour the sauce on top. Sprinkle top with sesame seed and drizzle of sesame oil (both optional)
My Other Videos:
- Meat Free Monday: Spicy Tofu & Cilantro Lime Rice Bowl
- Meat Free Monday: Baked Parmesan Cauliflower Popcorn
- Meat Free Monday: The BEST Baked Panko Crusted Tofu
- Meat Free Monday: Bokchoy Fried Rice
- Meat Free Monday: Teriyaki Tofu Buddha Bowl
- Meat Free Monday: Baked Tofu Nuggets
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.
FOLLOW SWEETNSPICYLIVING ON SOCIAL MEDIA