From my Mom’s kitchen to mine, here’s a simple flavorful Chicken Sandwich Spread with chunky shredded chicken and nice sweet and salty simple dressing.
I had been feeling nostalgic this past few days, reminiscing my childhood days and my favorite food the my Mom used to cooked for us. This chicken sandwich spread is one of them. They’re one of my favorite homemade spread that on top of my Mom’s Cheese Pimiento Spread which I already made last week. I’ll have it posted as well as soon as I reviewed the photos.
This Chicken Sandwich Spread is chunky, with large chunks of shredded chicken mixed with a dressing with subtle sweetness and nice fresh taste. It’s everything I’ve ever wanted in a Chicken Sandwich. I had tweaked my Mom’s recipe a little bit but I retained the base ingredients. I added chopped cilantro which is of my favorite fresh herb, and few bits and pieces of chopped celery for more freshness and crunch. What made this spread a little bit different is the addition of condensed milk to sweeten it. I personally would not have thought of adding a condensed milk, but this was how I recalled my Mom made this and I wouldn’t make it any other way, not without condensed milk. I tried once because I don’t have one on hand, I used sugar instead and it did not taste the same, at least not how I imagined it to be. Every ingredients in this recipe plays a very important role, so if you can find all of them, you’ll be guaranteed to have the best tasting chicken sandwich spread ever, and I’m not kidding. This spread is seriously good!
Other Ways to Use this Spread
This is where it becomes more interesting because you can use this as more than just a spread. Here are other 2 idea on how you can use it.
Chicken Potato Salad – You can add boiled or baked small potatoes or diced potatoes to this chicken salad and you will end up with Chicken Potato Salad. You have to adjust the dressing though, make it double or adjust as you go.
Chicken Macaroni Salad – Add macaroni noodles and make it Chicken Macaroni Salad. Again, adjust the amount of dressing or double it up as needed, adjust as you go.
Can I Use Chicken Thigh?
I haven’t tried it, but I assume it will work too. The only difference is the texture, as chicken breast is more dry and it does absorb the dressing better.
Can I use Pre-Cooked Rotisserie Chicken?
I haven’t tried it, but I think it will work too. You may need to add more mayonnaise as leftover chicken tends to be drier. Adjust the dressing as needed.
Can I use Canned Chicken?
Yes you can. Make sure to drain as much water out from the can so the spread doesn’t become watery. The texture will be different because canned chicken as usually more mushy and not chuncky but it will work too. Just to not expect the same quality as when using poached chicken.
What You Need to Make Chicken Salad Spread
- Chicken Breast: I like to use fresh chicken breast and have cooked in boiling water. I find that fresh chicken gives the best texture to the spread. Alternatively, I found out that canned chicken cubes works as well, although not the same as the fresh, but is a convenient and fast onion to make this. Leftover rotisserie chicken might work too, but i haven’t personally try it.
- Mayonnaise: the base dressing for the spread. I used the regular, light mayonnaise or olive oil mayonnaise will work as well. You might need to increase the spices a little bit k give it more taste
- Condensed Milk: you might did it weird, but this Chicken Salad Spread in NOT the same without the addition of condensed milk. Condensed milk have the salad a subtle nice sweetness which really brings out the flavor of the dressing. Alternatively, try using honey or maple syrup but I haven’t tried it myself.
- Cilantro & Celery: small amount but it really adds nice fresh taste in the salad. If you don’t have both, you can use either one instead.
- Red Onion: Onion gave a nice taste, so do not skip this. If you prefer a milder onion taste, you can use yellow or white onion instead.
- Salt & Pepper: It won’t be the same without these 2 basic seasoning. Salt balances made the taste come together in a nice way.
- 200g Chicken Breast
- 4 cups Water (for boiling)
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoon Condensed Milk or 1 tbsp Honey
- 2 tablespoon Cilantro – chopped
- 1 stick Celery – diced
- 1/3 teaspoon Salt
- 1/8 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 2 tablespoon Red Onion
- Make the Dressing: In a bowl, add mayonnaise, condensed milk, salt, black pepper, cilantro, celery an onion. Mix to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired. Chill in the refrigerator while you prepare the chicken
- Cook the Chicken: Cook the chicken breast in a boiling water until cook all the way through, about 15 minutes. The time could slightly vary depending on the size and thickness of the chicken you are using. Remove from the water and run a cold water to cool it off. Pat dry with paper towel.
- Shred the Chicken: Shred the chicken into small pieces or cut it into cubes for a chunky spread. I do this manually just using my hands. You can have it small or big pieces, shred it to your size preference. Chill in the fridge for 15 minutes. Do NOT put hot chicken in the dressing as It will be runny and watery. This step can be done overnight, shred and leave the chicken in the refrigerator. Add the shredded chicken in the dressing mixture. Toss combine. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired. Transfer in a container and refrigerate.
Makes 4 Sandwiches
My Latest Video
- Meat Free Monday: Go Clean and Green with Green Goddess Crunch Sandwich
- Meat Free Monday: Roasted Vegetable Grilled Cheese
- Meat Free Monday: Black Bean Quinoa Burger
- Small Batch Sesame Burger Buns (Makes 4)
- Small Batch Hot Cross Buns
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.
FOLLOW SWEETNSPICYLIVING ON SOCIAL MEDIA