Calling all coffee lovers, I have something today that you will surely love. A doze of coffee to kick start your day, but this is not a coffee that you can drink. Let me introduce you to Coffee Bean Cookie. This is a bite size mini chocolate cookie flavored with coffee. It taste 100% like drinking a cup of coffee, the taste of coffee flavor will linger in your tongue just like when you drink your coffee. What could be better than taking your coffee with you in your purse! ha! Quickie instant coffee treat wherever you are. Forget the cup, this is a great and easy grab and go treat that you can take with you and munch while going to work and when at work. Keep popping and eating, just be sure to share, ok?
What is Coffee Bean Cookie?
Have you heard about this Coffee Bean Cookie? It seems it has been going on for awhile now, which makes me probably late in the party. But as I always say, “better late than never”. So, I am just catching up and sharing this Coffee Bean Cookie now. First, it does look like a coffee bean, right? But I’m telling you this is a real cookie. This is a bite size chocolate cookie, flavored with instant coffee. The cookie dough was made with butter, sugar, egg, flour, cocoa powder and of course instant coffee. The dough is thick, but it is not sticky at all. The texture of the dough is almost like Chocolate Crinkles. You can easily shape and roll them into a coffee bean shape (oblong) without the dough sticky to your hands. The texture of the cookie is like a soft shortbread cookie, not too soft and moist, you can break it apart without it crumbling to pieces but not as soft as Crinkles. For someone like me who is not a strong coffee drinker, I actually consider coffee flavor of this cookie quite strong, strong enough to live up to its name Coffee Bean Cookie. But if you are a coffee lover, the coffee flavor is probably just right. For me, it almost felt like drinking an actual coffee. The coffee taste lingers in my tongue, again, just like drinking real coffee.
No Hand-Mixer Needed
Good news my friends, this recipe can be made without any mixer, don’t you just love that? I do! I know it is not difficult taking out the hand mixer, but not having to do that is still something I find nice. I less item to wash :). Make sure to use a softened butter so the mixing is easier. Takeout the butter at least 1 hour before using it, you want it soft enough that you can use a spatula or a whisk to cream it.
Natural Cocoa Powder vs Dutch Processed Cocoa Powder
Natural Cocoa Powder is natural powder from roasted cocoa beans. It has not been processed so the acidic component is intact. It is acidic and bitter, and with a strong concentrated chocolate flavor. It also has a lighter color and thus produced a light colored bake products (like this one).
Dutch Processed Cocoa Powder has been washed with potassium carbonate solution that neutralizes the acidity. This process makes the color darker, the flavor mellowed and it dissolves easily.
In terms of texture, it doesn’t matter whether you use Natural Cocoa Powder or Dutch Processed Cocoa Powder because we are not using any leavening agent in this recipe. It boils down to color and flavor. If you like a darker vibrant coffee bean cookie color with mellowed flavor, go for dutch processed. Natural cocoa powder will give a lighter color cookie, like this one. It is actually just preference, and basically what you have on hand.
Can I Use Brewed Coffee Instead?
Yes, you can. Use 1 tablespoon if you are using brewed coffee. Of course the flavor will depend on how strong the coffee you are using.
How About Flavored Instant Coffee?
Why not! It will have a lighter coffee flavor because most of the instant ready to use flavored coffee have sugar and milk mix with it, but it will work as well.
Do NOT Over Bake
- 1/4 cup Unsalted Butter
- 6 tablespoon Icing Sugar
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 1 teaspoon Instant Powdered Coffee
- 1 tablespoon Hot Water
- 3/4 cup Cake Flour
- 1 tablespoon Cocoa Powder
- Preheat oven to 340F. Prepare a silicone mat or baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Dissolve Instant Coffee: Pour hot water to the instant coffee. Set aside.
- Make the Cookie Dough: In a bowl, transfer softened butter then sift the icing sugar onto the butter. Manually mix until smooth. Add the egg yolk and mix until combined. Pour the dissolved instant coffee and stir until it becomes thick. It will separate at first but when you keep on mixing it will come together into a thick mixture.
- Add Dry Ingredients: Sift the flour,cocoa powder and salt. Manually mix until it forms into a thick dough.
- Shape the Cookie Dough: Use a teaspoon to portion the dough. Shape into a ball then into oblong, like a coffee bean. Arrange in the prepared pan. The cookie is not going to spread so you do not have to allocate too much space in between. Using a spatula, create a vertical mark in the middle of the cookie, again, like a coffee bean.
- Bake: Bake for 13- 15 minutes. Check on 13 minutes mark to avoid over baking. Let cool on baking sheet. Store baked cookies in air tight container. This can be left at room temperature for 3-5 days, after that it is recommended to store it in refrigerator.
Makes 20 bite size cookies
- Use softened butter for easy mixing
- Do NOT over bake
- Remember, size and thickness matters. The bigger and thicker your cookie, the more baking time you need. So, adjust your baking time accordingly.
- How To Freeze Cookies (Bake and Unbaked)
- How To Store Cookie Properly So They Last Longer
- Holiday Cookie Platter, The More The Merrier
- Classic Shortbread Cookie
- [VIDEO] Chocolate Dipped Coconut Macaroons
- [VIDEO] Cinnamon Pecan Palmier (Elephant Ears Cookie)
- [VIDEO] Brookie: Brownie & Cookie in One, a Two in One Treat!
- [VIDEO] Nutella Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Dipped Almond Ball Cookie
- [VIDEO] urple Yam Crinkles[VIDEO] hocolate Crinkles
- [VIDEO] Homemade Hot Chocolate
- [VIDEO] Lemon Ricotta Cookie
- Chocolate Dipped Shortbread Cookie
- Pistachio and Almond Cranberry
- Baked Mini Churro
- Meringue Chocolate Kisses Cookie
- [VIDEO] Peanut Butter Blossom Cookie
There’s something for everyone, so check it out and watch some of my videos. You can find all the recipes in my website. Happy Baking.
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Your feedback helps me decide what to put on my next baking to do list. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.