This Carrot Muffin with Walnut Crumble Topping is not only big in size, it is also packed and full of delicious taste in every bite.You get plenty of hidden Carrots, chucks of toasted Walnuts inside and outside, bits and pieces of raisins, and a topping of crunchy walnut crumble. That’s a long list of something to look forward to in this muffin.
I had been meaning to make Carrot Muffin for a long time now but never got the chance to do it. I have to thank my Beets Chocolate Cake for reminding me about my plan of making a Carrot Muffin. There used to be only 2 things that comes to my mind when I think of desserts or bread with vegetables. That would be Carrot first, followed by Zucchini, now I have added Beets to the group too. Not to mention sweet potato and pumpkin too. It is interesting and nice to be able to sneak in veggie in our desserts, right? it made me feel “slightly” less hesitant to take another slice or piece. This carrot muffin is jumbo size, I think for most people 1 piece would be more than enough, at least for me it is. 3 large jumbo size muffins, or if you want to cut back into smaller size or if you do not have a large muffin tin, you can use regular muffin tin. You should be able to make 5 – 6 pieces of this.
This is a VERY easy recipe. It uses the basic method of mixing all the dry and wet ingredients separately, then mixing both together. That’s the base batter.
The add-in is optional but highly recommended. I’ve added some chopped toasted walnuts for a nice crunch, and a decent amount of raisins for bits and pieces of sweet dried fruity flavor. If you want to keep it plain, you can do that as well.
I used store-bought unsweetened apple sauce to add more moisture. I had also tried using Greek yogurt and I honestly cannot tell the difference, in taste and texture. They both worked well. So choose whatever works for you.
Walnut Crumble Topping
Let’s talk about the crumble toppings. I am obsessed with them! 🙂 I add them on my muffins and bread whenever I can. Just to name a few of my favorite, chocolate Walnut Coffee Crumble Banana Bread, Blueberry Pecan Crumble Banana Bread and Strawberry Streusel Banana Muffin. Trust me, this little extra effort to make it and add it on top is totally worth it. It adds a a nice crunch and good texture to the muffins. Love nibbling on those sweet crunchy crumble clustered on top. So I suggest, go for it and give it a try.
Cream Cheese Frosting
Carrot cake, cupcake, bars are not the same without the cream cheese frosting. How about for muffins? I would say go for it too! I have a cream cheese frosting recipe that is very easy to make and the best thing about it, not too sweet. Check it out. Now if you don’t feel like making your own cream cheese frosting, Philadelphia brand now sells ready to use whipped cream cheese frosting. They’re to die for! So light, fluffy and it taste really good. I’ve used them couple of times for my carrot desserts and I would highly recommend it I you can find it.
Ok, so I think I got everything covered. Let’s make some muffin, not just any muffin. Let’s make this jumbo Carrot Muffin with Walnut Crumble. Let’s get started!
- 3/4 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1/3 teaspoon Baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Cinnamon Powder
- 1 large Egg, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup unsweetened Applesauce or Yogurt – at room temperature
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil, canola oil, or melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup packed light or dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cups peeled and shredded carrots (about 1 1/2 large carrots) – do not packed in the measuring cup. Lightly add whatever fits without pushing it down
- 1/4 cup chopped Walnut
- 1/4 cup Raisins
- Cream Cheese Frosting – optional
Walnut Crumble Topping
- tablespoon melted Butter
- 3 tablespoon All-Purpose-Flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Brown Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/8 teaspoon Cinnamon Powder
- 2 tablespoon chopped Walnut
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Dry Ingredients: Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg together in a large bowl until combined. Set aside.
- Wet Ingredients: In a medium bowl, whisk the oil, eggs, brown sugar, applesauce, vanilla, and carrots together until combined.
- Wet + Dry Ingredients: Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and gently whisk until just combined. Fold in the nuts/add-in (if using any). Batter will be semi-thick.
- Bake: Spread the batter into prepared muffin pan. Bake for 10 minutes at 400F, then lower the temperature to 350F and bake for another 18 minutes. Baking times vary so keep an eye on yours. The muffin is done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean with zero raw batter. Remove the muffin from the oven.
- Factors Affecting Baking Time: Oven temperature. moisture level of sugar (dry brown sugar has less moisture), amount of grated carrots (this could vary slightly on how you measure the carrots), type of yogurt (regular yogurt are more watery compared to greek yogurt)
- Cool completely in the pan set on a wire rack before removing and frosting.
- Storing without frosting: Cover and store leftover bread at room temperature for up to 3-4 days or in the refrigerator for up to about 10 days. Storing with frosting: Cover and store leftover bread in the refrigerator for up to about 1 week.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Cream the Butter and Cream Cheese: Using an electric mixer beat together the butter and the cream cheese (speed 2 KitchenAid) until combined and smooth, around 3 minutes.
- Add Icing Sugar: Starting with low-speed and increasing to medium speed, add the icing sugar, salt and vanilla extract, then beat until smooth and well-combined, around 5 minutes or until smooth, fluffy and no more lumps from icing sugar.
- Use Transfer in a piping bag for cakes and cupcakes decorating, or spread on top of cake and muffins
- Store: Transfer in a container with lid and refrigerate. Whisk for few minutes to bring back the volume once ready to use.
Makes 3 Large Muffins
Nutritional Information was calculated using Veryfitwell Recipe Calorie and Nutrition Calculator. For details about Nutritional Information in this website, please read the Disclaimer page.
Did You Try This Recipe?
Let me know how it went! Comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #sweetnspicyliving
My Latest Video
Click the item to get the full recipe
- Strawberry Swirl Banana Muffin
- Nutella Banana Muffin
- Strawberry Streusel Yogurt Muffin
- Blueberry Yogurt Muffin
- Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Muffin
- Chocolate Chip Banana Yogurt Muffin
- Cornbread Muffin
- Chocolate Banana Muffin
- Chocolate Zucchini Muffin
- White Chocolate Banana Muffin
- Dulce De Leche Banana Muffin
- Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Banana Muffin
- Cinnamon Streusel Apple Muffin
- Easy DIY Muffin Liner
- [VIDEO] Jumbo Chocolate Chip Muffin
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.
FOLLOW SWEETNSPICYLIVING ON SOCIAL MEDIA
Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter | YouTube
Categories: Baking, Muffins, Recipe, Video, Video Recipes
The cruymble on top really makes these inviting!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Crumble toppings makes a huge difference in muffins and cake, can’t help putting them in everything I can put them 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person