There are several ways you can welcome Fall, but nothing beats doing it with food. Fall has so much to offer and has its own reason to be welcomed. When I think of Fall, I think of the colors of Fall, the cold weather, cozy comforting meals and Fall flavored desserts. From Savory to sweets, bring it on! This is a great time to be cozy while indulging in our favorite comfort foods and Fall favorite desserts. It’s time for out your Apple and Pumpkin recipes and put them to use. If you are looking for more Fall baking inspirations, that is what I am here for.
I will be sharing and re-sharing some of my Fall favorite. From Savory breads, creamy soups, buttery scones, muffins, cookies and cakes. I will give you reason to love Fall baking, and to look forward to it. Let’s start with this soft and moist Pumpkin 🎃 Cake with Homemade Whipped Cream Frosting. Your going to love this. The cake batter is super easy to make, I’ve used this same batter to make a loaf bread and muffin and now this cake. The frosting is even easier with my homemade 5 Ingredients fluffy Cream Cheese Frosting. I’ve made a separate video, see how easy it is.
Every year, I try to make pumpkin desserts and dishes to enjoy during the Fall season. I shared quite a lot last year and this year, I would like to do the same. One of my favorite Pumpkin baked goods that I made last year was the Pumpkin Cream Cheese Swirl Muffin. It was so good that I promised myself I will make it again the following year. I wanted to use the same recipe because why change something that is already perfect. However, I want to present it in a different way, just to jazz it up and give it a new look. So I decided to use the same recipe to make it into a cake. From the original Swirl Bread, turned to Swirled Muffin and now into a Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting. 1 easy batter, 3 simple and delicious way to use it.
What to Like About Fall
- Fall is the time to cozy up in my sofa with my warm delicious Pumpkin Oatmeal while watching my favorite show in Netflix
- Fall is the opportunity to make delicious soup
- Fall colors are mesmerizing beautiful, perfect for photography and
- Fall and warm oatmeal, oh bring it on 🙂
- Fall baking is awesome, talk about pies
- When I list this down, it’s not that bad at all so shall we all welcome Fall now with this delicious Pumpkin Cream Cheese Swirl Bread?
Why I Love this Pumpkin Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Ultra moist and soft. You can tell as soon as you start slicing it. Yes, just by slicing, tell me if I’m wrong.
- Nice right amount of flavor, nothing too overwhelming specially for people who do not like strong fall spice flavor
- It’s super easy to make
- Great recipe for anyone who hasn’t done any baking
- The batter is so flexible, you can use it to make it into a bread loaf, like this ONE
- The Cream Cheese Frosting is so finger licking good! Only 5 ingredients.
- Good size for sharing. Cut it smaller for a 9 pieces serving or slightly bigger for a 6 pieces serving.
- Last but not the least, it taste absolutely amazing!
What’s the Difference Between Pumpkin Pie Filling and Pumpkin Purée?
Pumpkin Pie Filling already have the fall spices (nutmeg, cinnamon etc) so You do not really need to add more to get the flavor. It has a very subtle flavor, which I personally prefer. You can always add more fall spices if You want the flavor to be stronger. Pumpkin Purée on the other hand is just a puree without the spices added. You can even make your own by simply boiling or Pumpkin and pureeing it in a blender.
When You use Pumpkin Puree , You have to had Fall spices. I find that the Pumpkin Pie Filling is the better option because I do not keep stock of most of Fall spices, this way I don’t have to buy it and just let it sitting in my storage. I did not test this using Pumpkin purée, so I cannot give you the measurement of how much Fall spices you should add. In case you do, let me know and I would be happy to mention it in this post.
1 Simple and Easy Batter, 3 Amazing Ways to Use it
That’s right! Once you made this cake batter, you can use it 3 different ways. Make it as a loaf bread, muffin or cake. How great is that? Whichever you choose, I guarantee that you will not regret it. If you cannot decide which one to make, try all of them, problem solved!
- Pumpkin Cream Cheese Swirl Bread– Bake in a 7-inch loaf pan, at 350F for 45 – 50 minutes
- Pumpkin Cream Cheese Swirl Muffin – Bake in a regular muffin tin, at 400F for 5 minutes then at 350F for 20 minutes
- Pumpkin Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting – Bake in a 7-inch square pan at 350F for 25 – 27 minutes
The ingredients are the same, except probably with some flavoring and spices that I added in the muffin and not when I made it in a loaf. I am talking about adding small amount of vanilla extract in the cream cheese and cinnamon powder in the muffin batter. I am not a huge fan of fall spices so I often keep it small amount. Feel free to add nutmeg, more cinnamon powder or other fall spices that you love. I also modify the process a bit when I made the muffin. Instead of creaming the sugars and egg first before adding oil and milk, all add all of them together and beat them for 7 minutes. The texture of the muffin is as soft and moist s the loaf style. Next year, my plan is ti make this same recipe as a sheet cake with cream cheese swirl. This just show how easy and versatile this recipe. Whichever you choose, loaf or muffin, you will not regret it.
What are the Ingredients to Make Pumpkin Cake?
- All Purpose Flour – Perfect kind of flour for quick bread like this
- Baking Powder & Baking Soda – to give nice lift and height to the bread
- Cinnamon Powder – totally optional but it enhances and gave a nice fall flavor
- Salt – it is always nice to add salt to bread for additional taste
- Sugar – for sweetness and moisture
- Pumpkin Pie Filling – for pumpkin flavor. It also helps make the bread moist
- Vanilla Extract – for flavoring, totally optional.
- Milk – The batter is going to be thick and heavy, and an addition of milk will make it lighter
- Oil – for extra moisture, it also keeps the bread soft
- Egg – for texture and structure of bread
- Cream Cheese – for the cream cheese swirl on top
- Vanilla Extract – optional but if you have it, use it
How Do You Make Pumpkin Cake?
There are 2 major steps in making this Pumpkin Cake. First is making the cake batter and second is making the cream cheese frosting. You can make the frosting ahead of tine, about 3 days in advance if needed. Keep refrigerated until ready to use.
- Make the Cream Cheese Mixture: Mix the softened cream cheese, sugar and egg until smooth. It is very important to use a softened cream cheese so that it mix easily. Simply take out the cream cheese from the refrigerator and leave it on the counter for 1 hour. For the egg, beat one egg and then measure 2 tablespoon from it. It is a amount of egg, but even that small amount is important as it helps the cream cheese to set properly.
- Work on the wet ingredients. Beat the brown sugar, granulated sugar, egg, milk and oil. This process helps produce a soft bread as the creaming incorporates air into the mixture. You want to get to the point wherein the mixture turned into pale yellow color and very smooth and fluid. It took me about 7 minutes to get to this stage, be patient even if if takes more than 7 minutes. To the creamed mixture, add the pumpkin pie filling then just mix to combine.
- Next, move on to the dry ingredients. Sift together all-purpose flour, cinnamon powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Once those two steps are done, add the dry ingredients onto the wet ingredients and gently mix until distributed, again, do not over mix please.
- Transfer in the Pan: transfer the batter in the prepared pan. You can use 7-inch square or round pan.
- Bake. Bake at 23 – 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean
Tips in Making Pumpkin Cake
- Use room temperature Egg and Milk: Since you will need to beat this together to achieve a light and runny consistency, it will be best that these ingredients are at room temperature. Cold ingredients will not mix easily
- Use soften Cream Cheese – Remove the cream cheese for the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before using it. It has to be soft (but not melting) so it mix well with the sugar
- 1/4 cup Flavorless Oil
- 3 tablespoon Full Fat Milk
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 Egg – room temperature
- 1/2 cup Pumpkin Pie Filling
- 1 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/3 teaspoon Salt
- 1/8 teaspoon Cinnamon Powder
- 8 oz (1 box) Cream Cheese, softened at room temperature
- 4 tablespoon of unsalted Butter at room temperature
- 1 cup of Icing Sugar – sifted to remove lumps
- 1 teaspoon of pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 teaspoon of Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Cinnamon Powder – optional
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F. Line 7-inch square or round pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Make the Cream Cheese Filling: In a bowl, mix cream cheese, butter, icing sugar, pure vanilla extract, salt and cinnamon powder (if using). Set aside
- Wet Ingredients: Beat the the oil, milk, sugars and egg until pale in color, about 7 minutes. Add the pumpkin pie filling mix until just combined.
- Dry Ingredients: Sift together the flour, sugar, cinnamon powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Dry Ingredients + Wet Ingredients: Mix until fully combined. Stop as soon as no more visible flour, do NOT over mix to avoid getting a tough cake.
- Transfer in the prepared pan, level the top.
- Bake at 350F degrees for 25 – 27 minutes or until toothpick inserted at the center comes out clean. Let cool completely before adding the frosting .
- Make the Cream Cheese Frosting – I have a complete post with video on how to make this frosting. What the video and visit the recipe details for more information.
Makes 9 slices
My Latest Video
- Pumpkin & Raisins Buttermilk Biscuit
- Pumpkin Cornmeal Mini Muffins
- Pumpkin Soda Bread
- Pumpkin Banana Smoothie
- Pumpkin Pie Pancake
- Pumpkin Blueberry Muffin
- Pumpkin Bread
- Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal
- Honey Pumpkin Bread Rolls
- 10 Fall Favorite Recipes
- How to Roast Pumpkin Seeds
- 1 Ingredient Pumpkin Puree
- Pumpkin Smoothie
- Pumpkin Cream Cheese Swirl Bread
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.
FOLLOW SWEETNSPICYLIVING ON SOCIAL MEDIA