Aside from Chocolate Ganache, I think this Italian Style Buttercream Frosting is my next favorite frosting. I always used the French Buttercream Frosting style because it’s simple and faster to make. It does require more precision, additional steps and guidelines to follow but it is really worth the effort.
Italian Buttercream is silky smooth, it is lighter and softer, and best of all, it taste a lot better. It is not too sweet, and you will not feel like you are eating lb of sugar and butter. This is the kind of frosting that I had been looking for a long time and I am really glad that I gave this a try. You need a candy thermometer, but it is worth the investment. There is no getting away with it. You will need to make sure to get the right sugar temperature to cook the egg whites.
Frosting can make a simple pastry taste great and amazing, not to mention it can make cakes and cupcakes pretty fancy looking too. I used this Raspberry Buttercream Frosting in my Vanilla Cupcake, and oh boy! It taste amazing!! No kidding. I will not keep you waiting, so let’s get started!
- 110 grams egg whites : 2 Large (1/4 cup/ 60g) egg whites
- 33 grams water
- 195 grams granulated white sugar
- 1 lb unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 67 grams egg whites (approximately 1-2 eggs)
- 16 grams water – 2 tbsp
- 97 grams granulated white sugar – 9 tbsp
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
- Vanilla : Add 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Raspberry : Add 2 tbsp Fresh Raspberry Puree – To make the puree, mashed the fresh raspberry in a strainer and used the extract. Discharge the seeds.
- Chocolate – Add 3-4 tbsp Chocolate Ganache
Important guidelines to read before you start:
- Egg Whites : It is a MUST that your egg whites should be in room temperature. Either leave it in the counter at least 1 hour before using it OR submerge the egg in warm water for 5 to 10 minutes before separating the egg whites.
- Mixer bowl : Mixer bowl should be clean and dry with no other dirt or residue from previous use.
- Sugar temperature : It is VERY important to follow the suggested sugar temperature because you need to cook the egg whites.
- Butter – It is important that your butter is in room temperature, but NOT melting. Soft enough that when you pinch it, it will create a dent in the butter or will leave mark from your fingers.
- When pouring sugar into the mixer: Pour the sugar on the side of the bowl, but NOT touching the bowl if possible and also not hitting the whisk. This will make sure that you will get the most of the sugar and nothing will stick and splatter on the sides of the bowl.
- When adding butter into the mixer:
- The side of the bowl should already be cooled when you start adding the butter
- DO not add all butter at the same time. Cut it into small pieces, and add gradually.
- The batter will start to curdle when you start adding the butter, this is normal.Continue whisking and it will come together again.
- Pour the egg whites into a bowl and turn mixer on medium high-speed.
- While this is mixing, pour water and sugar into a small sauce pan and put on medium heat. Once the syrup temperature in the sauce pan reaches 100C/212F, increase the mixer speed to high.When syrup reaches 121C/250F, remove the sauce pan from the heat.
- Reduce the speed of the mixer to medium and slowly pour the syrup. Pour the syrup down the side of the bowl to avoid splashing when it hits the whisk.
- Leave the mixture running for another 5 minutes, this will allow the mixture to cool.
- After 5 minutes, slowly start adding small pieces of the butter until all the butter has been incorporated into the meringue. Let the mixer run for another 10 minutes. At this stage, you will have a Vanilla Buttercream Frosting.
- Mix jam, fruits extract, Chocolate Ganache, food coloring or spread of your choice to create your favorite flavor.
If you like this post, please don’t forget to click on the “Like” button below or Share this post with your friends.
Try it and let me know how it goes. Feel free to share this recipe and let’s get the community baking!♥
Featured Video: Classic Vanilla Buttrecream Frosting