I recently posted a small batch recipe for Empanada Dough. As you would have guessed it, it doesn’t stop there. Of course I have to use it to make Empanada, and so I am sharing you my favorite Spicy Chicken Potato Curry Empanada.
This empanada is almost like a Croissant, look at those layers! This is unlike any other Empanada that has bread like and though dough, this has layers and layers of thin, flakey and buttery bread. I hope you will give it a try, you will not regret it. Let’s get started!
- 1 Medium size deboned and skinless chicken breast – cut into small cubes
- 1 Clove garlic (minced)
- 2 tbsp Onion (minced)
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 3/4 tsp Curry Powder
- 3/4 tsp Chili Flakes
- 1/4 tsp Fresh Chilli (minced)
- 3/4 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder (optional)
- 1/2 tsp salt (I’m using fine salt)
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 medium size potatoes cut into cubes
- 1/2 Bell Pepper cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup Carrots cut into cube
- 1/4 cup Green Peas (optional)
- 1/4 cup Coconut Milk (Remove the water and scoop out only the cream)
- 1/2-3/4 cup Water
- Empanada Dough – Click here for the recipe
Note: Adjust seasonings according to your preference. I like mine spicy, so I add quite a lot of peppers.
- In a heated pan, add oil and garlic. Sauté until garlic is a little bit brown and fragrant. Add onions and keep on sautéing until onions are cooked.
- Add cubed chicken, Curry Powder, Chili Flakes, Fresh Chilli, Cumin Powder, Turmeric, Salt and Sugar.
- Sauté until chicken is cook through.
- Add potato, carrots, coconut milk and water. Lower the heat when the sauce starts to get thick.
- Add bell pepper and green peas and cook for another 15 minutes or until there is almost no sauce left. You want it to be dry because you do not want the sauce to soften the empanadas dough when baked.
- Taste and add more seasonings as desired.
- Transfer and let cool before using as filling.
Note: Filling can be made ahead of time and stored in fridge.
Try it and let me know how it goes. Feel free to share this recipe and let’s get the community cooking!♥