My Homemade Empanada Dough is the same recipe that was used in my Homemade Puff Pastry. Let me show you how easy it is to make your own Empanada Dough using Simplified Puff Pastry recipe. Watch till the end to see what can make with this puff pastry. Enjoy!
I recently posted a small batch recipe for Empanada Dough. As you would have guessed it, it doesn’t stop there. Of course I have to use it to make Empanada, and so I am sharing you my favorite Spicy Chicken Potato Curry Empanada.
This empanada is almost like a Croissant, look at those layers! This is unlike any other Empanada that has bread like and though dough, this has layers and layers of thin, flakey and buttery bread. I hope you will give it a try, you will not regret it. Let’s get started!
- 1 Medium size deboned and skinless chicken breast – cut into small cubes
- 1 Clove garlic (minced)
- 2 tbsp Onion (minced)
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Curry Powder
- 3/4 tsp Chili Flakes
- 3 pieces Fresh red chili (cut into 4)
- 3/4 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder (optional)
- 1/2 tsp salt (I’m using fine salt)
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 medium size potato cut into cubes
- 1/2 Bell Pepper cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup Carrots cut into cube
- 1/4 cup Green Peas (optional)
- 1/4 cup Coconut Milk (Remove the water and scoop out only the cream)
- 1/4 cup Water
- Click Empanada Dough for the recipe
Note: Adjust seasonings according to your preference. I like mine spicy, so I add quite a lot of peppers.
- In a heated pan, add oil and garlic. Sauté until garlic is a little bit brown and fragrant. Add onions and keep on sautéing until onions are cooked.
- Add cubed chicken, curry powder, chili flakes, fresh chili, cumin powder, turmeric, salt and Sugar.
- Sauté until chicken is cook through.
- Add potato, carrots, coconut milk and water. Lower the heat when the sauce starts to get thick.
- Add bell pepper and green peas and cook for another 15 minutes or until there is almost no sauce left because we do not want the sauce to soften the empanadas dough during baking.
- Taste and add more seasonings as desired.
- Transfer and let cool before using as filling.
Note: Filling can be made ahead of time and stored in fridge.
If you were inspired by this recipe, kindly click on the “Like” button below or Share it with your friends. Thanks!
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F.
- Flatten and roll Empanada dough and form into a log shape.
- Divide the dough into 12 pieces.
- Roll into a disc and fill the center with empanada filling.
- Brush edges with water, then fold and seal all the edges.
- Bake for 50 -60 minutes or until the empanada turns brown and flaky.
Note: Leftover Empanada can be re-heated in the oven at 300F for 10-15 minutes.
- [VIDEO] Homemade Pie Crust
- [VIDEO] Easy and Flakey Empanada Dough
- [VIDEO] Homemade Pizza Dough
- Meat Free Monday: Mushroom and Cheese Hand Pie
- Meat Free Monday: Small Batch Feta and Tomato Pizza Pie
- [VIDEO] Welcoming Fall with This Cinnamon Glazed Apple Turnover
Enjoy! If you make this, share and tag me in Instagram #SweetNSpicyLiving. I would like to see your creations too.
My Latest Video
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.