My Other Videos:
I recently made the mini and adorable Chocolate French Meringue Cookies. I had so much fun making it and I enjoyed eating and popping it non-stop. They are like Hershey’s Kisses, at least the shape, but they are really just Meringue cookies dipped in Chocolate Ganache. I lost track of the count on how many I actually ate while I was preparing it for photograph and after photographing it. But I made sure to set aside few pieces for this Chocolate Cake.
This small batch Chocolate Cake is my basic and go to recipe when I have a Chocolate Cake craving. It is small batch, simple and easy to make. If you only have to keep one small batch Chocolate Cake recipe, keep this one. This one is so versatile and simple and the variety of ways that you can use this is endless. I had used this same recipe for my Almond Truffles Chocolate Cake, and they were amazing! Let me show you how simple this is to make. Let’s get started!
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup neutral oil (like canola)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup full-fat sour cream or plain Greek Yogurt
- 1 large egg – room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp coffee powder – optional
- 1/2 tsp Cocoa powder for dusting – optional
- Chocolate shaving – optional
For the Ganache: 2 batches Chocolate Ganache
For the Meringue cookies: Chocolate Kisses French Meringue
- Make Chocolate Kisses French Meringue (This can be made few days ahead of time).
- Preheat the oven to 350F, and position a rack in the lower third of the oven.
- Line a 6″ round cake pan (with 2″ sides) with parchment paper on the bottom, and lightly grease the sides with oil. I used my mini individual square pan instead, and sprayed it with oil.
- Next, in a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together oil, sugar, sour cream or greek yogurt, egg, vanilla and coffee (if using any).
- Add dry ingredients mixing just until combined.
- Pour the batter into the cake pan, and bake.
- for 6-inch round pan: 29-32 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. If you under-bake the cake, it will slightly sink, so check it! It will also start to pull away from the sides when it’s done.
- For 12 mini square pan: 18 – 20 minutes
- Cool completely then slice the cake in half and pour half of the Chocolate Ganache on top.
- Cover with the other half of the cake and pour the remaining Chocolate Ganache on top.
- Arrange Chocolate French Meringue Cookies on top and decorate as desired.
- Dust top with Cocoa powder or shaved chocolates – optional
Enjoy! If you make this, share and tag me in Instagram #SweetNSpicyLiving. I would like to see your creations too.
My Latest Video
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.