I love strawberry, so when they are in season, I make sure to make the most of them in my baking. I had used them for my Fruit Pie, Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream, Strawberry Creme Cake, Whole Wheat Strawberry Streusel Muffins, Strawberry Shortbread Cheese Tart and Strawberry Jam. Another one of my favorite dessert to use Strawberry is this Crumble Bars. Why so? Because it taste absolutely delicious, and very easy to prepare.
This recipe is one of my Strawberry go to recipe whenever I go crazy buying Strawberries. I love how somethign so simple as this could taste so delicious.
This Strawberry Crumble Bar has 3 layers. The base is a buttery crust similar to Shortbread. The middle is a thick layer of fresh Strawberries and the top layer is a mix of the Shortbread crumble and rolled oats.
I love the combination of the buttery crust and sweet and tangy taste of fresh Strawberries. I can eat this for breakfast, or have it as a dessert or a snack. A fantastic pairing with tea and If I really want to make it extra special, I topped it with my Homemade Strawberry or just Vanilla Ice Cream. Let me show you how easy this is to make. Let’s get started!
- 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter, cubed and softened (but not melted, just enough to create a dent when you push your finger in the butter)
- 1 cup fresh strawberries – cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 tbsp rolled oats
Note: Double the recipe for a bigger batch and bake in 8×8-inch pan for the same baking time.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray with oil and line a 5-inch or 8-inch square baking pan with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Make sure to leave some overhang for easy removal. Set aside.
- Mix all the filling ingredients and refrigerate while you prepare the crust. Drain and remove excess juice before using later.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, and salt. Cut the butter into pieces and add it to the mixture. Using a mixer, beat on low-speed until you have coarse crumbs.
- Set aside 1 cup of the mixture and press it in the prepared pan, firmly press it down into an even layer. Put in refrigerator for at least 15 minutes to harden the crust. Reserve remaining 1/2 cup of the dough mixture for toppings, keep refrigerated while you pre-bake the dough crust.
- Pre-bake the dough crust at 350°F for about 20-25 minutes or until the top is set and the edges are lightly golden brown. Take out from the oven.
- Pour the strawberry filling mixture over the dough pressed into the pan. Remove the remaining crumbs topping from the refrigerator and sprinkle on top of strawberry filling. Return to the oven and bake at 350°F for 35-45 minutes or until lightly golden brown on the top and the juices are bubbling.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool. Let cool completely before slicing.
Makes 6 – 8 bars for big batch (8×8 square pan), and 4 bars for small batch (5×5-square pan)
Try it and let me know how it goes. Feel free to share this recipe and let’s get the community baking!♥