Let me show you how easy it is to make your own puff pastry at home. Watch till the end to see what can make with this puff pastry. Enjoy!
While other people doesn’t like breakfast, I am the opposite. I love breakfast! In fact, I look forward to it more than dinner. Sometimes, I am even excited for morning to come so that I can have my breakfast, weird? O well, I am a morning person, and I need to fuel up as soon as I wake up. Depending on my mood, most of the time I like sweet stuff for breakfast, but there are times that I crave for something savory. Today is that day.
One good thing of having a stock of Homemade Puff Pastry in my fridge is that I can use it for most of my savory breakfast. Puff Pastry is very versatile to use for both sweet and savory creations, and they are really easy to make. If you do not have time to make them, this recipe also works well with store-bought that usually comes in 2 packs per package. I like buying the rolled one instead of the cube one as it is easier to work on. I just have to unroll it, cut it, stuff it then baked it. The best thing about the rolled version is that is has an even thickness which helps even baking of the pastry.
This Puff Pastry Melt is really good, it’s cheesy, it’s meaty, it’s buttery and it’s flakey. Make sure to have it while its still warm and crispy as that is the best condition to enjoy it. This is also a good recipe to make if you have leftover meat like Ham, Sausage, Chicken or Turkey. Vegetables like mushroom, onions, bell pepper or spinach are a nice addition too . Make it vegetarian by excluding the meat and replacing it with your favorite vegetables. I like to use mushrooms and spinach and few spoonful of cream cheese for vegetarian option. This recipe is easy to prepare, quite filling and absolutely delicious. Don’t go stingy with the cheese, fill it up and enjoy it melting out of the puff pockets. Let me show you how to do it. Let’s get started!
What kind of puff pastry to buy?
There’s no shame in using a readily available puff pastry, not everybody has time to make their own puff pastry, so go grab them from the shelves. There are 2 types that I normally saw in the grocery.
- There’s one that are cut into 2 thick square. This type of puff pastry will require you to roll and flatten it into about 1/8 inch thickness. It’s not difficult to do that, but that still adds time when you are in a hurry. Also, you have to target of at least having an even surface. I box contains 2 cut puff pastry.
- Then there’s my favorite type, the flat puff. They normally comes in 2 pcs per box, and all you have to do is thaw it a little bit in the fridge , unroll and cut them to size and shape you like. The thickness is even, so it’s you are assured that they will bake at the same time. The little time you save will make a huge difference when your tight on schedule. That will give you some time to clean up and relax before the party starts.
So those are you’re 2 options, if you are not considering on making your own puff pastry. You can choose which one is available in your grocery. But definitely go for the 2nd one if they have it.
- 1 Puff Pastry Sheet (Homemade of Store-bought)
- 6-8 pieces Colds cuts of your choice (Ham, Salami, Pepperoni, etc.)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar and mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg + 1/2 tsp water (for egg wash)
- Allow puff pastry to defrost in the refrigerator. I like to take it out from the freezer and leave it overnight in the refrigerator so its ready for use in the morning. If you are using a Homemade puff pastry, roll it and flatten it to about 1/4-inch (no thicker tan that) then cut into desired size and shape.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. High temperature is advisable for the pastry to puff up.
- Roll out one puff pastry sheet onto a greased baking sheet then cut into half. If you want to make a smaller size, cut them into 4 and you will end up with 2 medium size puff pastry pockets.
- Top the pastry with a layer of ham (or any cold cuts you are using) then sprinkle with shredded cheese. Leaving about one inch along the edge of the pastry which will be pinched to seal the pastry later.
- Prepare the egg wash by mixing the egg and water together with a fork.
- Brush the pastry edges with egg wash. Egg wash serves as a glue to hold the 2 pieces together, but most especially it is responsible for the nice brown and shiny top.
- Put a second layer of pastry over top and press down lightly along edges with your fingers or a fork to form a seal.
- Brush the top with remaining egg wash. It pays to be generous with this, you will definitely love the flakey and brown top once it bakes.
- Bake on the center rack for about 30 -35 minutes or until pastry turned golden brown and puff-up.
This is best eaten immediately after taking out of the oven to enjoy the crispy layered puff pastry and the melting cheese.
My Latest Video
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.