It’s Meat Free Monday and today we are doing Indian Cuisine. I have quite a a few favorite India dishes, and Biryani Rice ranks at the top of my list. The Chicken, Beef and the Lamb Biryani are my favorite kind, but I thought I could also make the meatless version and use Paneer instead to replace the meat. This Paneer Biryani Rice although without meat also satisfied my cravings for Biryani.
Every time I make an Indian dish, I always say it’s my version just because I know that I wouldn’t be able to replicate and make authentic Indian dish. It my not be authentic and may not even be close to the original but as long as the dish works for me then I am happy with it. I did some research and watched some videos on how to make it, then I created my own version.
Since I like using coconut milk in my savory dishes, I used my version of Paneer Curry to make this dish. I made a large batch, divided it into two and used the half of it to make this Paneer Biryani Rice. I imagine it would be nice to make a dry version on it, without coconut milk this way the spices will be more intense and will stick better to the paneer. I’m saving that version for some other time, for now let’s me show you this coconut curry version of paneer biryani. Let’s get started!
- 2 tbsp flavorless oil
- 1 small (about 1/3 cup) onion – chopped
- 1 small tomato – chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp paprika
- 3/4 tsp turmeric
- 3/4 tsp chili pepper
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 3/4 tsp curry powder
- 200g paneer (can be substituted with firm tofu)
- 1 small green bell pepper
- 2 cups cooked basmati rice
- In a heated pan under medium heat, add oil, onion tomato, salt, paprika, turmeric, chili pepper, sugar, cumin, and curry powder. Stir until tomato and onions are well cooked, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add paneer, bell pepper and coconut milk. Cover and simmer until sauce is reduced to your liking. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
- Add cooked basmati rice and mix until combined. Add or reduce rice as desired.
Enjoy! If you make this, share and tag me in Instagram #SweetNSpicyLiving. I would like to see your creations too.
My Latest Video
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.
SweetnSpicyLiving is a proud member of Meat Free Monday organization. Please check out their website.