Featured Video: Strawberry Streusel Yogurt Muffin
This muffin is soft and moist, a very easy muffin to make with very simple steps and basic ingredients. Check it out.
This Pina Colada Banana Bread and Muffin fits perfectly to my definition of what goes into m y Summer baking list. It’s soft and moist (as always), with a nice texture from crushed pineapple and a very tropical and subtle coconut flavor. It’s a great way to start the day, or perhaps to end the day.
I fancy coconut, it’s one ingredient that I really like adding to my bake products or in my savory cooking. I grew up in the Philippines where coconut is a common ingredient in most of our desserts and also a popular ingredient is savory cooking. So even if I do not live in the Philippines anymore and I don’t get to enjoy my favorite Filipino delicacy and cooking, coconut desserts still have a special place in my heart (even more in my tummy). I’ve made Pina Colada Crumb Bar last year and it turned out great, so I thought another dessert with coconut will be a good idea. My friends loved it and I loved it too. So I thought, why not make a banana bread or banana muffin version of it, and so now we have this recipe.
Challenge in Baking with Shredded Dried Coconut
I made this recipe two time before I got the correct ratio of the ingredients. The first time I made it, it was dry and lacking of sweetness. Being dry is a common issue when using dried coconut, this is because it absorbs some of the moisture of the baked product. So however I love adding dried coconut in my baked products, I learned my lesson that less is more when it comes to using it. Also, it is advisable to add good amount of liquid so that the consistency of this bread is not too dense. I also did not used butter, because although butter always provide a nice creamy butter taste, it could also dry out the bake products when not used properly. I used oil instead to keep this bread moist and soft. If you really like butter, you can replace the 2 tbsp of oil with melted butter. I did not used yogurt because I want to keep it basic as most of us do not always have yogurt on hand, instead I added crushed pineapple for more moisture and texture, and flavor.
Loaf Pan or Muffin Pan
You can make this both in loaf pan or muffin pan, just adjust the baking time. A lot of times I like to divide the batter to make half mini loaf and half muffin size, and If I don’t get to finish them (as expected), it’s very convenient to keep it in the refrigerator and just get a piece at a time when I want to eat it. For bigger group, I like to make it in a single 8-9 inch loaf pan, this way I get to have more slices for sharing. It’s totally up to you, I will leave that option to your hands. Whichever option you choose, just watch out for the baking time and adjust as needed.
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg – room temperature
- 2 ripe mashed banana
- 1/4 cup drained crushed pineapple
- 2 tbsp sweetened shredded coconut
- 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tbsp milk
- Pre-heat oven to 350F.
- Oil Mixture: In a bowl, mix oil and sugar. Beat in eggs.
- Banana Mixture: Stir in mashed banana, baking soda, baking powder and pineapple.
- Flour Mixture: In a separate bowl, mix flour, coconut and salt.
- Combine oil mixture and banana mixture, then add flour mixture and mix until just combine. Do not over mix.
- Bake in a greased or lined with parchment loaf pan
- Pan size: 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan: 65-70 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Pan size: x-in. x x-in. loaf pan: 35-45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. This pan size makes 2 small loaf bread.
- Medium size muffin cups: 20 – 22 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Makes 12 muffins.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes; remove to a wire rack.
There’s a Banana Bread for everyone, choose your variation.
Try it and let me know how it goes. Feel free to share this recipe and let’s get the community baking!♥
Recipe Video Collection: All recipes are available in the website.