How To Make Shashuka
Do you know what is Shashuka? Frankly speaking, I did not know what it was. All I know is I like it a LOT! Ever since I saw it in Pinterest, I had been thinking of making it and adding it in my blog. I’ve made it couple of times, it’s my anytime favorite dish although it may look like a breakfast dish because of the egg poached in tomato.
What learned from researching about it is that its is an egg dish poached in tomato sauce with assortment of spices like smoked paprika, cayenne, cumin, salt, pepper and more. It’s a popular dish in Middle Eastern and North Africa, but now it has become a favorite dish as well in North America. The sauce is thick and full of tomato flavor, it’s very flavorful and quite filling.
I’ve seen different variation of Shashuka. Some people make it like the classic just tomato sauce, egg and spices, and quite a lot of people created a spin of this recipe by adding other vegetables like mushroom, bell peppers, spinach and more. Others even add some meat for a more filling meal, the likes of meatballs or some meatless meatballs. I like different variations, I like them all. I just love Shashuka.
The first time I made this, I made it with meatballs and so I thought I would share something meatless to go with my Meatless Monday series. I’ve checked several recipes to get an idea of what I want, and I liked the All Recipes version by Chef John, Mushroom and Bell Pepper Shashuka. I like the combination of tomato, egg, mushroom , bell pepper and onion. I added a lot of peppers because I want it to be spicy, but if you are not into spicy foods then just reduce or omit some of it. This dish can be enjoyed on it’s own, or paired with a nice piece of bread that’s perfect for dipping and scooping out those lovely thick tomato sauce. Let’s get started!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
1 garlic clove – minced
1/4 cup sliced white or yellow onion
- 1 1/2 cup sliced fresh white Mushroom (228g)
1 cup canned diced tomato
- 3/4 tsp salt (Add gradually so that you can adjust to your preference)
- 1/4 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp chili flakes
1/4 tsp dried basil
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 2-4 eggs
1/4 cup mozzarella cheese or goat cheese (optional)
- In a heated pan, add garlic and onion. Saute until fragrant and onion is soft and translucent.
- Add sliced mushroom and cook until soft and water has evaporated.
- Add canned tomato and simmer for about 15 minutes or until sauce is reduced to your liking.
- Add seasoning: salt, cumin, paprika, chili flakes, dried basil, parsley and cilantro or any other herbs and spices that you prefer. Stir and let cook for another 5 minutes to allow spices to blend in.
- Crack egg in a small bowl (one at a time). Using a spoon, create a small well in the boiling tomato stew and pour the egg. Do this one at a time. Cover and simmer until you get the egg cooked to your liking. I like mine slightly soft so I only boil it for 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle goat cheese on top (optional).
Looking for Other Meat Free Dishes? Checkout my 30 Meatless Dish That Taste Good.
My Latest Video
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.