Featured Video: [VIDEO] Meat Free Monday: Mushroom and Tomato Shashuka – Eggs in Tomato Sauce
Just because it’s Meat Free Monday doesn’t mean we are going to be on a diet, not really. This tofu and eggplant lettuce wraps come together in a breeze, and it taste delicious and worth making.
It’s Meat Free Monday once again and today we are having a simple tofu dish. It’s easy and simple to make but it’s absolutely flavorful and tasty. I like using tofu for my meatless Monday recipe because they’re very easy to prepare and cook, on top of that they are budget friendly. You don’t need to pay much to eat something as good as this dish. This dish is becoming my favorite meatless dish among the many others that I have in my website because I love that there’s plenty of texture in this dish and it got the “kick” of heat that’s just right and perfect.
I’ve always love lettuce wrap. The one that I am accustomed to and the most common one is the mince beef version, but now a days there are plenty of recipe that uses chicken, turkey or pork. This version uses minced tofu that has been sautéed with minced eggplant and a lot of spices to flavor it. There’s quite a lot of ways to use this, not only for lettuce wrap. Most of the time, I ate this with steamed rice and sometimes I mixed it with Asian style noodles. It’s a simple budget friendly recipe, it’s easy to make and can feed a large group for very little cost. What could be better than that? A delicious budget friendly and healthier version, give this a try. Let me show you how I made this. Let’s get started!
- 3 tbsp flavorless oil
- 175g Firm Tofu – minced
- 100g cup Eggplant – cut into small pieces
- 2 cloves garlic – minced
- 1/4 cup white onion – minced
- 3 1/2 tsp brown sugar (or white)
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 3/4 tsp chili flakes
- 3 tbsp chopped red bell pepper – minced
- 2 tbsp fresh jalapeño peppers – thinly sliced or minced
- 2 tsp rice vinegar or any plain white vinegar
- Iceberg Lettuce
- Cut Ingredients: Cut and prepare ingredients as mentioned above.
- Marinate Tofu: In a small bowl, mix minced tofu, salt, chili flakes and paprika. Set aside.
- Cook Eggplant: In a heated pan, add 1 tbsp oil and fry the eggplant. Leave for 5 minutes in medium heat without turning it. Add another 1 tbsp of oil and stir the eggplant. Cook for another 5 minutes until eggplant becomes soft and brown.
- Cook Tofu: Using the same pan (make sure that the pan is hot), add 1 tbsp oil and transfer the minced tofu. Leave for 6 minutes without touching it, this will create a nice browning and will avoid ticking. Stir and cook for 6 minutes to brown the other side. The tofu is cut small so you do not have to turn it one by one, just mix. Remove and set aside.
- Mix Tofu & Eggplant: Using the same pan, add 1 tbsp of oil and add garlic and onion and sauté until fragrant. Return the tofu and eggplant and mix until combined. Add soy sauce, sugar and vinegar. Mix and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
- Assemble: Fill lettuce with tofu filling.
- 30 Meat FREE Dishes That Taste Good
- Meat Free Monday: Mushroom and Spinach Omelette Enchiladas
- Meat Free Monday: Small Batch Mini Twice Baked Potato & Cheese Pie
- Meat Free Monday: Small Batch Vegetarian Lasagna Soup For Two
- Meat Free Monday: Small Batch Feta and Tomato Pizza Pie
- Meat Free Monday: Mushroom and Cheese Hand Pie
- [VIDEO] Meat Free Monday: Thin Crust Pesto & Sundried Tomato Pizza
Enjoy! If you make this, share and tag me in Instagram #SweetNSpicyLiving. I would like to see your creations too.
My Latest Video
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.
FOLLOW SweetNSpicyLiving on Social Media Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter
Categories: Cooking, Meatless Dish, Recipe, Vegetarian
Leave a Reply