This Spaghetti Squash Shrimp Scampi is light, flavorful and best of all, a healthy weekend or weeknight pasta replacement option. It’s almost like “pasta”, but the healthier version.
When I first used Spaghetti Squash it was just out of curiosity, I honestly do not have an idea how it taste and I’ve only seen photos of how it looks like. The first dish that I made using it was my Baked Four Cheese and Garlic Spaghetti Squash, I thought cheese makes everything taste better so that would be a good way to start. It turned out absolutely delicious! I was blown away, it tasted almost like a pasta, but better in a lot of ways. It’s lighter, it more flavorful and it was a bonus plus that it is a vegetable. Having used Spaghetti Squash a lot after that, I realized it was not just the cheese that made the dish better. With or without cheese, my Spaghetti Squash dishes turned out great, and I really enjoyed eating it. I’ve made quite a few of them, you’ll see the links below this post. Among all of the one that I made, this Shrimp Scampi turned out to be my favorite, and it doesn’t even have a cheese. It’s simple, easy to make but it was absolutely delicious. It reminded me of Asian noodles Vermicelli glass noodles, it was really deceiving. I had this served and my friends did not even noticed that it was a vegetable pasta. If you cannot even tell, for me it means it was that good. Not that I am lifting my own chair here, I’m just saying Spaghetti Squash is really a fantastic replacement for pasta.
How to prepare and cut spaghetti squash
Because I had been using Spaghetti Squash quite often, I made a separate post of How to Cut and Prepare Spaghetti Squash. Check it out. Cutting Spaghetti a squash is probably the most of the challenge you’ll getting making this recipe, so knowing how to do it right will make your life easier.
Can I substitute shrimp with something else?
Yes, defiantly. I would say the next good option will be shredded chicken, some mussels or scallop should work too. Or you can make it a seafood extravaganza and mix and match seafood that you like. Ok, ready to make this recipe? Let’s get started!
- 1/2 lb Shrimp
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1-2 tsp Italian Seasoning
Spaghetti Squash Seasoning
- 300g Spaghetti Squash Meat
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/8 tsp Black Pepper
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 small onion – chopped
- 1/2 tsp chili red flakes
- 1/2 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tbsp Cilantro (optional) – chopped
- Marinate the Shrimp: Transfer peel and deveined shrimp in a bowl. Add salt, cayenne pepper, lemon juice and Italian seasoning. Set aside for at least 30 minutes.
- Bake the Spaghetti Squash: Cut the spaghetti squash and remove the seeds (Check my How to Cut and Prepare Spaghetti Squash post for details on how to do this. Set aside.) Drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake at 350F (facing down) for 1 hour or until the “meat” inside is soft and can be easily removed. Use a fork to scrape/remove the meat of the squash. Transfer in a bowl and add 1 tbsp butter, cover to allow steam to melt the butter. Set aside.
- Cook Shrimp + Spaghetti Squash: Add 2 tbsp of butter in a heated pan and stir until it is fully melted. Add minced garlic and continue cooking until garlic is fragrant and starts to brown. Add onion and cook until onion is no longer translucent. Add the prawn/shrimp until prawn is no longer translucent. Set aside few pieces of shrimp for serving later. Add Spaghetti Squash “meat”, red chili flakes, lemon juice and Italian Seasoning. Cook for 1 minute, taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
- Serve: Transfer in a plate and top with shrimp. Squeeze lemon juice before serving and garnish with some Cilantro (optional) on top.
Here’s some other Spaghetti Squash and Butternut Squash ideas, check them out!
- Meat Free Monday: Small Batch Baked Butternut Squash Spaghetti Casserole
- Meat Free Monday: Enjoy Spaghetti Squash Mushroom Alfredo with Less Guilt
- How to Cut and Prepare Spaghetti Squash
- Meat Free Monday: Spaghetti Squash with Kale and Tomato
- Baked Four Cheese Garlic Spaghetti Squash
My Latest Video
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.