Have you ever used Gnocchi to serve for brunch? If you haven’t, you should give it a try, it’s filling and a delicious meal not to mention simple and easy. This Potato Gnocchi was served with Tomato Sauce and with Caramelized Onion & Poached Egg.
Yesterday, I thought you how to make Gnocchi at home. Your very own Gnocchi made from scratch. If you haven’t seen that posts, give it a quick visit or watch the short video because you will need that to make this recipe. You can make a store-bought Gnocchi but seriously so easy to make, I know you can do it.
How to Make Potato Gnocchi
Gnocchi for brunch, or anytime of the day
Brunch is a cross between breakfast and lunch. Not too light and not too heavy but filling enough to help you we through snack time or tea time. This Gnocchi with Mushroom and Poached Egg definitely fits that requirement. Poached egg makes a good breakfast item, mushroom and potato pasta makes a great lunch, bring them together and you have a simply delicious and easy to make brunch item.
Main Ingredients for brunch Gnocchi
- Gnocchi – homemade or store-bought. Any variation or flavor will do.
Marinara Sauce – homemade or store-bought. I have a simple pasta sauce recipe, get the Full Recipe Here
- Fresh Mushroom – Any kind of mushroom, but I particularly like using brown mushroom or cremini mushroom, just don’t use canned mushroom
Onion – gives a nice sweetness and flavor to the mushroom. You can use yellow or white, the milder onion.
- Pasta Sauce – You can use Homemade or store-bought. I used my Tomato Based Pasta Sauce, white sauce or Pesto Sauce will work well too.
- Poached Egg – poached works best, but you can cook the egg the way you like it. I have separate post on How to Poached Egg Perfectly with tips on how to make it ahead of time.
- Toast – Complete the dish with a toast on the side. I served this with Garlic Bread.
- Parmesan Cheese – Pasta without a cheese is just not complete. You can use any cheese you like and sprinkle some on top before serving
Spices – gives taste and flavor. You can use any herbs and spices that you like, I prefer using Italian seasoning as it is already a blend of different spices.
- Salt and Pepper – For taste
The Perfect Poached Egg
A lot of people are intimidated with the idea of making poached egg, so most of the time we tend to go the easy way. That is fried egg, scrambled egg or sunny side up. I felt the same way before until I gave poached egg a try. It’s not as difficult and scary as it sounds. Best part of it, you can make it ahead of time. I have a separate post How to Make Poached Egg, check it out and see how you can start making them yourself. Poached egg is a healthier way of cooking egg as it doesn’t use any oil. Just boiling water and few tap of vinegar. Don’t worry, you won’t Taste the vinegar, it’s there to help the egg stay intact. Check it out.
- Gnocchi – You can make the Gnocchi ahead of time. In my post How to Make Gnocchi from Scratch I discussed storage and freezing of Gnocchi. You can make it few days before or a day before and keep it refrigerated or freeze.
- Caramelized Mushroom and Onion – you can also make this 2-3 days before. Keep refrigerated until ready to use. Re-heat in microwave or stove top before serving with Gnocchi.
- Poached Egg – you can make this day before. Keep the cooked egg submerged in container with water. Cover and store in the refrigerator. See this posts for details. How to Poached Egg Perfectly
- Pasta Sauce – If you are making a homemade one, you can make it even a week earlier. Keep it refrigerated until ready to use. I left a link below for my homemade Pasta Sauce recipe.
Ok, I think I got you covered for brunch. Let me show you how I made this. Let’s get started!
- 1 cup Tomato Pasta Sauce
- 2 cups cooked Gnocchi (Homemade or Store-bought)
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1/4 cup White or Yellow Onion – sliced thinly
- 1 clove Garlic – minced
- 2 cups Mushroom – sliced thinly (Use fresh for better texture, I used Cremini Mushroom)
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne or Paprika pepper
- 1/8 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Dried Thyme
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese
- Make the Potato Gnocchi: Get the FULL RECIPE HERE. You can also use store-bought Gnocchi or any flavor.
- Make the Pasta Sauce: Get the FULL RECIPE HERE. You can also use store-bought or any other pasta sauce you like.
- Make the Caramelized Onion and Mushroom: In a heated pan, add onion and saute until onion is no longer translucent. Add garlic, mushroom, salt, sugar, cayenne pepper, black pepper and thyme. Saute until water has evaporated and the onion and mushrooms are fully cooked and caramelized. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
- Make the Poached Egg. Get the FULL RECIPE HERE
- Serve: Transfer cooked Gnocchi in the plate and pour the pasta sauce. Top with caramelized onion and spinach and poached egg (if using). Serve with bread on the side (optional)
My Latest Video
- 1 Step Instant Pasta Sauce with 5 Different Variations, that easy!
- [VIDEO] Meat Free Monday: Mushroom and Tomato Shashuka – Eggs in Tomato Sauce
- Meat Free Monday: Curried Roasted Cauliflower
- Meat Free Monday: Ratatouille with Toast and Perfectly Poached Egg
- Avocado, Egg & Hummus Toast – 4 Ways to Enjoy it
- Poached Egg, Not as Difficult as It Sounds
- Meat Free Monday: Small Batch Vegetarian Mix Beans Chili
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.