“Sopas” as commonly know in the Philippines is a kind of soup with macaroni pasta, vegetables, chicken and milk. The addition of milk is what makes this soup different from other soup. This a good source of calcium and many other vitamins from loads of vegetables, plus protein of you feel like adding some chicken. This can also be made vegan but replacing regular milk with non dairy milk and removing the chicken.
Mami, Arozcaldo, Sotanghon Soup, and Sopas are some of my favorite soup back in the Philippines. They are all quite filling and a perfect company for rainy days. Philippines is a warm weather country, the most that we get cool weather is during December – January, by cool I mean below 20F, yeah that’s what cool means in the Philippines. The average temperature could be 25F and it can even reach 30’s during the summer. So soup are something that we enjoy mostly during rainy season.
Featured Video: [VIDEO] Creamy Potato & Shrimp Chowder
But here in Vancouver, although we don’t has much snow, we get rain a lot which makes the weather cold. For me, soup and cold weather, well they’re a match made in heaven. From creamy smooth soup, to brothy soup, to filling and healthy soup, name it I’m all for it. I love soup for breakfast especially during Winter where the cold air is all I can feel as soon as I woke up. This soup having milk in it made this even more my breakfast soup. This is a simple soup to make, so let’s get started!
- 1/4 cup cooked Macaroni Pasta
- 1/2 teaspoon Olive Oil
- 2 cloves Garlic – minced
- 1/4 cup chopped white or yellow Onion
- 2 tablespoon chopped Green Onion
- 1 small size Chicken Breast – shredded or cut int cubes
- 1/4 cup Carrots – diced
- 1/2 cup shredded Cabbage
- 1 tablespoon + 2 tsp Chicken Soup Powder (available in spices bulk section in the grocery)
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/2 cup Milk (Any milk)
- 3 1/2 cups Broth
- Macaroni Pasta – can be substituted with any elbow, shell pasta, penne pasta
- Fresh Chicken Breast – can be substituted with leftover rotisserie chicken or grilled, steamed, bake chicken.
- Soup Powder – can be substituted with regular seasoning like salt, peppers and dried herbs
- Cook the Macaroni Pasta as per package instruction. Set aside while you make the soup.
- Make the Soup – On a heated pan, add garlic, onion and green onion. Sauté for 1 minute. Add shredded chicken, and diced carrots. Cook until chicken is no longer raw. Add chicken powder, black pepper, chicken or vegetable broth and cooked macaroni pasta. Simmer until vegetables are cook to your liking. Add milk and shredded cabbage. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired. Cook for 2 more minutes.
It’s SOUP time!
Keep yourself warm with these soup. Whether you like it meaty or no meat, creamy or broth style there is something for you in one of these soup. Check them out.
- 12 Fall Soup To Keep You Warm
- [VIDEO] Rosemary Dinner Rolls
- Homemade Soft Bread Bowl
- [VIDEO] Egg Drop Corn Soup
- Meat Free Monday: Small Batch Vegetarian Lasagna Soup For Two
- Small Batch French Onion Soup
- Meat Free Monday: Creamy Broccoli and Cheese Soup For Two
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Your feedback helps me decide what to put on my next baking to do list. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.