A 3 ingredients, delicious, decadent and finger licking good Chocolate Whipped Cream Frosting that you will really love. This is the kind of frosting that you will not scrape out of the cake, and trust me when I say it’s really good. This is your anytime, any day, all-year round chocolate frosting.
I’m not a lover of sweet frosting, so I always either go for Chocolate Ganache or any Whipped Frosting. There are times that I would use buttercream frosting but even my Buttercream frosting is not too sweet, that is just my personal preference. Frosting for me is more than just for decoration, they are not supposed to be just beautiful, they have to be edible and delicious. I mean to the last drop of it, nothing should go to waste.
About This Recipe
- Ease in Making the Recipe: I cannot stress enough how easy it is to make a whipped cream frosting at home. This is one of the easiest frosting you can make and it taste so good. The entire process will not take more than 10 minutes. I just that short span of time, you will have a frosting that you can use for your cakes.
- Ingredients: Because this is a flavored whipped frosting, you will need 3 ingredients. Still, 3 ingredients is not a lot for something this delicious and versatile. Cocoa powder is the main ingredient that will turn this into chocolate flavor, without that it will be just Vanilla Whipped Cream Frosting which if I may say, is also heavenly good!. If you can easily turn this to coffee or espresso flavor by adding instant coffee powder. I have a separate recipe for Mocha Whipped Cream frosting, do check it if you want something not chocolate.
- Texture, Taste & Flavor: The texture of this frosting is so smooth, fluffy and it taste so creamy. If you are worried that it could get bitter because of the cocoa powder, do not worry. The cocoa powder made this into a chocolate flavor but it is really not a strong flavor at all.
- Make-Ahead: This comes in less than 10 minutes, so just make it the same day. If you really want to make it ahead of time, make it 1 day ahead and keep it refrigerated. When you are ready to use it, whisk or whip it again for few seconds to bring back the fluffy soft texture.
Ingredients for Chocolate Whipped Cream Frosting
- Whipping Cream – Make sure to get the liquid whipping cream. They come in carton. You can substitute a regular full fat milk for this because it will not whip. Whipping cream as the name goes are meant to become fluffy when whipped for few minutes.
- Cocoa Powder – Since we are not doing any baking here, any kind of cocoa powder will work. Natural or Dutch Process, both will work fine. Make sure to sift it along with the icing sugar to prevent lumps.
- Confectioners/Icing Sugar – This is a fine powdered sugar, do NOT replace this with regular granulated sugar. You need the fine texture so it dissolves easily with the whipping cream. Sift along with the cocoa powder to prevent lumps.
Whipped Cream frosting is just that kind of frosting. Simple and easy to make, not too sweet but absolutely delicious. You only need 3 ingredients to make this chocolate whipped cream frosting. If you are making it plain and basic, that would be 2 ingredients minimum. Whipped cream frosting is light and fluffy, so you don’t get overwhelmed eating it. But best of all, it is not a sweet frosting which is the main reason why I love it. It just have enough sweetness and perfect creaminess, simply delicious!
How to Make Chocolate Whipped Cream Frosting
This is such an easy frosting to make the most that you will do is to whip the sugar, cream and cocoa powder. As simple as it is, I left few important tips that you should take note whenever making a homemade whipped cream. The common problem of making homemade whipped cream is over whipping it. Over whipping can cause the frosting to break, once it does, there is no turning back. So make sure to pay close attention to the texture. You do not want it to reach to the point that it looks like a thick clump of clouds. Aim for fluffy, glossy and smooth frosting.
Tips on How to Whip Cream Successfully
- Use cold cream – Cream has to be cold to whip. If it is not cold from the fridge it is very hard to get it to whip to stiff peaks. This is key to having a soft, fluffy whipped cream that hold its shape longer.
- Chill the bowl and the whip – If you live in a particularly warm or humid climate, chill your bowl and the whip in the freezer before using it, at least 15 minutes. This will help the cream to stay cold during whipping process, and will produce a stiff and stable whipped frosting that can be used for piping and decorating. A warm bowl and whip can hinder in making a fluffy whipped cream.
- Under whip rather than over whip – It’s better to under whip than over whip. Over whipping the cream will end you up with a butter and you don’t want that to happen. You have over whipped it if the consistency becomes too thick and it resembles a lump of thick cloud, also you will notice that a water will start to separate. I find that in my hand mixer with medium speed setting, it takes 3-4 minutes to get to the right texture. Mixer speed setting could vary, so, watch carefully to the texture of your whipped cream. Start paying attention on 2-3 minutes stage. Whisk manually at the last 1 minute, I usually do this at 3 1/2 minutes mark.
- Keep a close eye on the consistency – Never walk away from a machine while cream is whipping or you will end up with a homemade butter instead. You don’t want it to reach the point where it starts to get really thick and cloud like. When water starts to separate, there is no way to salvage for use as whipped cream. If that happens, just continue whipping and once the water separates, you will have a chuck of soft homemade butter. It is not your goal, but at least you don’t have to throw the entire batch. Then I guess you have to start a new batch.
4 simple tips to a soft and fluffy Chocolate Whipped Frosting, let’s put it to us. Let’s get started!
- 1 1/4 cup COLD Whipping Cream (The liquid whipping cream in a carton)
- 2 1/2 tablespoon Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 cup Confectioners/Icing Sugar
- Chill the bowl and the whisk in the freezer at least 15 minutes before using it. The chilling process will help produce a more stable and stiff whipped cream.
- In a clean COLD bowl, pour the whipping cream. Sift the confectioners sugar and cocoa powder onto the whipping cream mixture. Using a stand mixer or hand mixer, beat the cream for around 4 minutes 30 seconds. Mixer speed setting could vary, so, watch carefully to the texture of your whipped cream. Start paying attention on 2-3 minutes stage. At last 1 minute, manually whisk it to avoid over whipping it. To test if done, turn the bowl up side down. If the frosting hold and do not slide off the bowl, than it is ready to go. The texture should be light, fluffy, glossy and smooth. Be careful not to over beat it as it will clump (like thick clouds), once you get to that stage, there is no turning back and it will start to clump like when making homemade butter.
This can be keep in the refrigerator for 2-4 days. Manually whisk for 30 seconds before using to restore smooth texture.
This could be use to decorate a single layer 9-inch round cake or 6-inch cake with middle and outer frosting
I don’t normally put too much frosting on my cakes, but with this frosting I don’t mind having more on my cake. It was absolutely delicious, and not too sweet at all.
- [VIDEO] How To Make Classic Chocolate Ganache & Tips on How To Use It
- [VIDEO] Small Batch Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- [VIDEO] How to Whip Cream Successfully
- Small Batch Cappuccino Buttercream Whipped Frosting
- Classic Cream Cheese Frosting
- White Chocolate Buttercream Whipped Frosting
- Mocha Whipped Buttercream Frosting – Italian Meringue Style
- REAL Strawberry Buttercream Whipped Frosting (No Artificial Color)
- REAL Raspberry Buttercream Whipped Frosting, A Unique Buttercream Frosting That is Not Too Sweet
- Small Batch Cappuccino Buttercream Whipped Frosting
My Latest Video
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.
FOLLOW SWEETNSPICY LIVING ON SOCIAL MEDIA