Featured Video:[VIDEO] Egg Drop Corn Soup
I can feel the cool chill in the air as soon as I open my eyes while happily tucked in my bed. It is really Winter, although we haven’t had a single day of snow fall, lucky us. Colder weather, it’s time to layer my clothing, bundle up and give up my regular blanket and switched to my warm duvet comforter. Well, it doesn’t really sound that bad. I personally love cold weather, it gave me opportunity to be lazy and not feel guilt about it.
Besides, cold weather is an opportunity for me to enjoy my soup and stew, so stay tuned for more recipes of that kind. I’ve started posting some of my soup recipes already but there’s more coming your way, don’t get tired of me, ok, we are just getting started on soup.
So this Broccoli and Cheese Soup reminded me of the business trip I had a long time ago. I don’t usually go for Broccoli Soup, but that time the cafeteria only have this soup, so I ordered it anyway. I badly needed a soup, and I was very thankful that I tried it. Turned out better than expected, in fact I find it really delicious and quite filling. No doubt considering how thick and creamy it is, not to mention the cheese. This soup was inspired by that memory, it was a good memory to remember and so I thought I might as well share it with you.
The ingredients of the soup is pretty basic and easy to find. The steps are simple and the taste, well it’s delicious but I have to warn you it’s not really a calorie friendly kind of soup. I guess that’s the trade-off of having soup like this.
How to Cook the Broccoli
You can roast or steam the broccoli before chopping it to small pieces. I personally prefer roasting of baking it until charred. The charred taste adds a nice flavor to the soup. But then again, if you want to cut back on calories (although I doubt it would be a lot less), you can simply steam or blanch the broccoli and use a low fat milk, maybe less cheese too but don’t expect to get something as creamy, thick and delicious as when you use full fat milk or even cream. In the end, it’s your soup so make it the way you like it. Enjoy the soup! Let’s get started!
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup yellow/white onion – chopped
- 1/2 cup Chicken/Vegetable Broth
- 1 cup COLD milk
- 1/3 cup broccoli florets – chopped into small pieces
- 1/4 cup cheddar Cheese – grated
- 3/4 tsp salt (I used fine salt)
- 1/4 tsp black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- Prepare the Broccoli: Either roast, bake or blanch broccoli. For this recipe, I roasted it for 30-45 minutes. If you are blanching the broccoli, boil water then put the chopped broccoli for 1 minute.
- Make the roux (flour, butter and milk mixture): Add butter to a pre-heated pan. Saute onion about 1 minute then add flour and whisk continuously. Gradually add cold milk while continuously whisking. Add chicken/vegetable broth and broccoli florets, salt, sugar and pepper Cover and simmer for 5 minutes (medium low heat).
- Add cheese and stir until distributed. Cover the pan and turn off the heat.
It’s SOUP time!
Keep yourself warm with these soup. Whether you like it meaty or no meat, creamy or broth style there is something for you in one of these 12 soup. Check them out.
- 12 Fall Soup To Keep You Warm
- [VIDEO] Italian Herbs Bread Roll
- [VIDEO] Rosemary Dinner Rolls
- Homemade Soft Bread Bowl
- [VIDEO] Egg Drop Corn Soup
- Meat Free Monday: Small Batch Vegetarian Lasagna Soup For Two
- Meat Free Monday: White Beans and Grilled Vegetable Salad
- Small Batch French Onion Soup
My Latest Video
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.