I recently learned how to make my own cheese at home. I was so excited about it as I love cheese so much. This Blackberry Shortbread Cheese Tart and Chocolate Marble Shortbread Cheese Tart were the first dessert I used my Homemade Cheese. I cannot be even more happier to be able to have the flexibility to make my own cheese at home.
These shortbread cheese tarts are one of my favorite tarts, but I don’t get to make them often because the original recipe calls for cream cheese. Cream cheese dessert is not really something that I bake or eat often, but now that I know how to make Homemade Cheese, I think I will be making this tart more often.
Almost all the main ingredients of this recipe are homemade. From the base which is a Shortbread Tart, to the middle filling of Homemade Blackberry Jam and the top layer of Homemade Cheese. The shortbread crust which is buttery, smooth and creamy worked well with the smooth and also creamy texture of cream cheese, while the sweet and tangy taste of the Homemade Blackberry Jam balanced the creaminess of both the crust and the cream cheese filling.
As I always say about homemade ingredients , they don’t contain any artificial preservatives, and you actually know what goes into to the food you are eating, so what’s better than that? Let’s get started!
- Shortbread Crust
- Blackberry Jam (You can also use Raspberry Jam or Strawberry Jam) – I used my homemade Jams, a store-bought Jam will also work for this recipe.
- 250g (1 box) cream cheese – I used my Homemade Cream Cheese
- 4 tbsp granulated white sugar
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1 egg (room temperature)
- 2 tbsp plain greek yogurt
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- Make Shortbread Pie Crust
- Divide Shortbread Pie Crust into 6 equal sizes. If you are making a big tart, then no need to divide.
- Press the Shortbread Pie Crust pastry into 4.5″ diameter tart pan, or to any size tart pan you are using. Repeat for the remaining tart pan.
- Using a fork, prick some holes onto the pastry shell.
- Pre-bake Shortbread Pie Crust at 350F for 20-25 minutes or until light golden brown. Leave it to cool.
- To make filling, cream sugar, butter and cream cheese until light and smooth.
- Add in egg, mix until well combined.
- Add in yogurt and mix until well combined.
- Lastly add in flour and mix until well incorporated.
- Place 1 tbsp of Blackberry Jam onto the pre-baked Shortbread Pie Crust.
- Put the cheese filling into the baked pastry shells.
- Separate 1 tbsp of Blackberry Jam and add 1/4 – 1/2 tsp water to thin out the jam.
- Add small drops of thinned Blackberry Jam on top and swirl with toothpick to create a marbling effect.
- Bake at 350F for 15 minutes or until the cheese is no longer soft. Do not over bake as this will cause the top to crack. Please note that the bigger the pie pan you use, the longer baking time you need. Adjust baking time as needed.
Makes 6 mini 4.5 inches tart or one 6 or 8 inches tart
Thank you for visiting my website. If you like this post, kindly click on the “Like” button below or share this post with your friends.
Try it and let me know how it goes. Feel free to share this recipe and let’s get the community baking!♥