Croissant is one of my favorite pastry. I love them plain, buttered, or with cheese and most of all with chocolate. The flakey layers, the soft and buttery taste is a real treat to me. I love them so much that I started researching how to make it.
Bad news is, real Croissant takes a LOT of time to make. The preparation of the dough involves a lot of kneading , folding and chilling. It’s a series of steps that requires leaving it overnight to chill, meaning, it’s a 2 days process. I did it once, and I swear I would not do it again. So time consuming for something that I could finish eating in less than 10 minutes. Not to mention, there are supermarket that sells Croissant in bulk . One dozen (12 pcs) for $5! Seriously, when I saw it, I said to myself I will not go through the hazzle of making Croissant again. Once is enough, at least I could say to myself I made it ONCE!
Until just recently, I found a very easy and simple Homemade Puff Pastry recipe. There are a lot of recipes online for Croissant using Puff Pastry and I thought I would like to try it. And so I did. It was great!! I was so happy with how flakey the Homemade Puff Pastry turned out, just perfect for my Mini Chocolate Croissant.
This Mini Chocolate Croissant is so great and so easy to make. I love the flakey and crispy texture and the melting Nutella and Salted Caramel Sauce filling. I am so glad I have this recipe now, I can make it anytime I want to, and I can even play around with what filling to use. You can do the same to! Let’s get started!
What kind of puff pastry to buy?
There’s no shame in using a readily available puff pastry, not everybody has time to make their own puff pastry, so go grab them from the shelves. There are 2 types that I normally saw in the grocery.
- There’s one that are cut into 2 thick square. This type of puff pastry will require you to roll and flatten it into about 1/8 inch thickness. It’s not difficult to do that, but that still adds time when you are in a hurry. Also, you have to target of at least having an even surface. I box contains 2 cut puff pastry.
- Then there’s my favorite type, the flat puff. They normally comes in 2 pcs per box, and all you have to do is thaw it a little bit in the fridge , unroll and cut them to size and shape you like. The thickness is even, so it’s you are assured that they will bake at the same time. The little time you save will make a huge difference when your tight on schedule. That will give you some time to clean up and relax before the party starts.
So those are you’re 2 options, if you are not considering on making your own puff pastry. You can choose which one is available in your grocery. But definitely go for the 2nd one if they have it.
- 1 Puff Pastry Sheet (Homemade of Store-bought)
- Salted Caramel Sauce
- Walnuts – toasted and chopped
- Prepare Puff Pastry. You can make two 11-13 inches rounds using my Homemade Puff Pastry recipe.
- Roll into 11-inch round size. I used a round plate to cut into this size. You can use smaller or bigger plate. The bigger your cut size, the bigger the Croissant.
- You can also cut it into triangle size then cut it in wedges as shown in the photo.
- Divide into 8 equal triangle sizes.
- Spread Nutella, Caramel or any filling you want. Strawberry Jam and cheese will wok too.
- Roll the Puff Pastry starting from the larger end of the triangle moving towards the tip or end of the triangle. Do this for the remaining portion.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Brush top with milk or egg wash ( 1 egg + 1/2 tsp water).
- Sprinkle with chopped walnut.
- Bake for 40 – 45 minutes or until the top starts to brown.
I hope you like this post. If you do, please click on the “Like”button below or share this post with your friends. Thanks!
Try it and let me know how it goes. Feel free to share this recipe and let’s get the community baking!♥