Once in a while, I encountered recipes that I really wanted to make, but some of the ingredients are difficult to find, or can only be bought by bulk. So, when face with this type of situation, what do I do? I’ll tell you what, if it is only simple, I do the homemade DIY version, just like this Salted Caramel Sauce.
Yes, that’s something that I had been doing lately for some of the ingredients that I need for my baking. I made my own Cream Cheese when I made my Blackberry Shortbread Cheese Tart and Chocolate Marble Shortbread Cheese Tart. I made my own Graham Crackers Biscuit when I made my No Bake Fruit and Nuts Chocolate Cookie Bar. Now, I made my own Salted Caramel Sauce and used it for my Flourless Chocolate Almond Torte.
There are canned or bottled Caramel Sauce available in the groceries, but if you only need a small portion, buying the whole bottle feels like a waste for me. I ended up finding recipes where I can use my extra Caramel Sauce and it really drove me crazy. I don’t like wasting or throwing food, so sometimes I feel pressured to finish or used all of it before it expires.
This is the beauty of making your own Caramel Sauce, or any other homemade ingredients. You don’t have to make a lot, just make the portion that you need, this way you are not wasting anything. This can be used as toppings for ice cream, cakes, cupcakes, pancakes, cookies, brownies and other bars, tart, pie and MORE! So, let’s get started with this Caramel Sauce!
- 1 cup Double/Heavy cream ( I used whipping cream)
- 1/2 cup Caster sugar (granulated works ok too). To make your own caster sugar, simply put the granulated white sugar in a food processor and process it until it is super fine in texture.
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 4 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter; If you use salted butter, then skip the 1/2 tsp salt in the recipe
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract (optional)
- Salted Caramel Sauce -Add 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Coconut Caramel Sauce – Replace Heavy Cream with Coconut Cream. Freeze the can of coconut cream for 3-4 hours so that you can scoop out the coconut cream and remove the water. Then microwave for 1-2 minutes or until it is back to its liquid form.
- Add Vanilla Extract to double/heavy cream.
- Pour water in a heavy bottom sauce pan. Use a larger pan because it will bubble up once you add butter and pour the cream.
- Add sugar into the pan with water then stir it.
- Boil for 6-8 minutes or until it turns amber brown. DO not leave unattended as it can get burn easily. Also, Do NOT stir, just lift the pan and swirl it to move the mixture. The water will start to evaporate, and it will start to thicken and turn into brownish color. Stop when it turn to light brown, the darker it gets, the stronger the caramel flavor and it will be bitter. Unless, that is your preference.
- Add butter and stir. The mixture will start to bubble up, continuously stir it until the butter is fully dissolved.
- Take out from the stove, put clean towel into your work surface where you are going to put down the pan.This will prevent the pan from moving while you stir the cream. Gradually pour the cream while continuously stirring it. If you ended up with few lumps, just reheat the mixture 1-2 minutes to fully dissolve everything. You should aim for a smooth texture.
- Add sea salt (optional).
- Pour in a jar and let it cool. It will thicken as it cools and the color will be lighter brown.
Where To Use It
My Latest Video
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.