We all have our fair share of busy morning, right? Or mornings where you just keep on wanting another more 5 minutes in bed. Then you realized no matter how many 5 more minutes you extend, you have to get up to get ready for work and feed your growling angry stomach. I have plenty of days like this, and today is one of those days. I struggled to do all the things I needed to do and I barely have time to prepare my own breakfast.I am a breakfast person, so no matter how busy I am, I have to have my breakfast. I rummage into my fridge and found my leftover egg whites from the Mousseline Cream I made for my Boston Cream Trifle, a few slices of whole wheat bread and blocks of mozzarella and cheddar cheese. Ah, now that’s what I call breakfast.
This Egg and Cheese in a Hole is one of my favorite quick breakfast. I applied the technique I used in making grilled cheese so this version will give you a buttery, cheesy and crunchy bread which sets it apart from the regular Egg in a Hole that you will normally find online. So, who says you cannot have a decent delicious breakfast in few minutes? I say, you can! Let’s get started!
- 2 slices whole wheat/white bread
- 2 eggs or all egg whites
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar or mozzarella cheese
- pinch of Salt
- pinch of chilli flakes or pepper
- Sliced ham or bacon – optional
- Diced veggies like bell pepper, mushroom, tomato, jalapeno etc. – optional
- Spread butter on each side of the bread. If you don’t want to use butter, drizzle heated pan with oil instead.
- Generously grate cheese on both sides of the bread. Sprinkle with chili pepper.
- Cut a hole in the center of the bread and set aside the cut out rounds. I used my 3-inch round cookie cutter to do this but you can also use drinking glass.
- Place the sliced bread and the cut out rounds in the heated pan.
- Egg options:
- Over Easy/Sunny Side-up Egg: Crack an egg into the center of each sliced bread. Top with ham/bacon (if using), and more cheese as desired.
- Scrambled Egg: Beat egg, add chopped ham/bacon/sausage/mushroom, bell peppers or any add in you like. Pour mixture into the center of each sliced bread. Add more cheese as desired.
- Cook for 5 minutes in medium heat or until you get the egg in the center cooked to your preference and the cheese is melted and crunchy.
- If making Scrambled Egg:
- Flip the slice bread and the cut out rounds to cook the other side of the bread. Cook for another 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and crunchy.
Serve immediately while the bread is still warm and crunchy. Enjoy!
If you like this post, kindly give that “Like“button below a click, or leave me a comment. I would love to hear from you.