We all have our fair share of busy morning, right? Or mornings where you just keep on wanting another more 5 minutes in bed. Then you realized no matter how many 5 more minutes you extend, you have to get up to get ready for work and feed your growling angry stomach. I have plenty of days like this, and today is one of those days. I struggled to do all the things I needed to do and I barely have time to prepare my own breakfast.I am a breakfast person, so no matter how busy I am, I have to have my breakfast.
I rummage into my fridge and found my leftover egg whites from the Mousseline Cream I made for my Boston Cream Trifle, a few slices of whole wheat bread and blocks of mozzarella and cheddar cheese. Ah, now that’s what I call breakfast.
This Egg and Cheese in a Hole is one of my favorite quick breakfast. I applied the technique I used in making grilled cheese so this version will give you a buttery, cheesy and crunchy bread which sets it apart from the regular Egg in a Hole that you will normally find online. So, who says you cannot have a decent delicious breakfast in few minutes? I say, you can! Let’s get started!
- 2 slices whole wheat/white bread
- 2 eggs or all egg whites
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar or mozzarella cheese
- pinch of Salt
- pinch of chilli flakes or pepper
- Sliced ham or bacon – optional
- Diced veggies like bell pepper, mushroom, tomato, jalapeno etc. – optional
- Spread butter on each side of the bread. If you don’t want to use butter, drizzle heated pan with oil instead.
- Generously grate cheese on both sides of the bread. sprinkle with chilli pepper.
- Cut a hole in the center of the bread and set aside the cut out rounds. I used my 3-inch round cookie cutter to do this but you can also use drinking glass or anything you have in you kitchen to cut the bread.
- Place the sliced bread and the cut out rounds in the heated pan.
- Egg options:
- Over Easy/Sunny Side-up Egg: Crack an egg into the center of each sliced bread. Top with ham/bacon (if using), and more cheese as desired.
- Scrambled Egg : Beat egg, add chopped ham/bacon/sausage/mushroom, bell peppers or any add in you like. Pour mixture into the center of each sliced bread. Add more cheese as desired.
- Cook for 5 minutes in medium heat or until you get the egg in the center cooked to your preference and the cheese is melted and crunchy.
- If making Scrambled Egg:
- Flip the slice bread and the cut out rounds to cook the other side of the bread. Cook for another 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and crunchy.
Serve immediately while the bread is still warm and crunchy. Enjoy!
Try it and let me know how it goes. Feel free to share this recipe and let’s get the community cooking!♥