I love bread, especially if the bread looks as beautiful and delicious as this Purple Yam Loaf. I made Purple Yam Jam few days ago and I had been snacking and eating it non-stop. My mom used to make it for use when we were young, and up to know that we are older, she still make it for my siblings whenever they request her to. Since I migrated in Canada, I missed a lot of my mom’s cooking. There is nothing like a home cook meals prepared by my mom. Since I cannot have that here, I try to make some of her specialty just like the Purple Yam Jam.
Purple Yam Jam is a jam made from vegetable purple yam. It has a very vibrant purple color, smooth in texture, creamy in taste and quite good for snacking. It is a traditional Filipino dessert which is normally present during Christmas, New Year, birthdays or any other occasion. The delicious addictive taste and the bright purple color always makes this jam stands out when served in a gathering.
I am pretty sure that I can finish the entire bottle just by eating it on its own, and so I thought I should spare portion of this for use in this loaf bread. It was a good decision as this bread turned out fantastic. Just look at the photo, don’t you just want to tear it apart and eat it now? That’s what I was thinking when I was photographing this bread.
The texture of this bread is in the dense and heavy side, the perfect texture to fill it with purple yam jam. So, if you are adventurous enough to try something new, try making the Purple Yam Jam and make this bread too. I guarantee, your friends will love it. Let’s get started!
- 1 batch Purple Yam Jam
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cups lukewarm water (110F)
- 2/3 cups lukewarm milk (110F)
- ¼ cup granulated white sugar
- ¼ cup unsalted butter – melted and cooled
- 2 tsp fast active dry yeast (I used Fleischmann’s brand)
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 1 egg for brushing (Add 1/2 tsp water to the beaten egg to make egg wash) – optional
Note: This recipe can be done without a stand mixer. Mix all ingredients in a large bowl and using your hand, manually mix and knead the dough in a flat surface.
- Purple Yam Jam. This can be prepared ahead of time and stored in the fridge.
- In a stand mixer (using dough hook) or large mixing bowl, add flour, sugar , salt & active yeast. Mix until fully combined.
- Add milk and water. The liquid temperature should be between 110F – 115F. If you do not have a thermometer, microwave the liquid for 10-15 seconds. If you are using water from the fridge, microwave 15 – 20 seconds. Temperature is important to activate the yeast.
- Mix and knead the dough until combined (1-2 minutes).
- Gradually add melted butter, and continue kneading for another 25 minutes until the dough is not sticky anymore.
- Form into a ball and transfer to a large oiled bowl, cover with a warm, damp towel and let rise for 1 hour. (It’s best to let the dough rise in a warmer area of your kitchen).
- To help the dough rise better, I put it inside the oven which I pre-heated to 110F Once it reached the 110F, I stopped/canceled it. DO NOT forget to stop it, you only want the oven to warm up for the dough to rise, you do not want to dough to be baked. Some oven has a proofing setting, mine doesn’t, so this is my trick.
- Remove from the bowl and start kneading again just to release the air accumulated in the dough.
- Assemble and cut into desired size and shape.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Knead the dough and cut is square size. I made 6″ x 6″ size for my mini loaf pan. adjust the size as desired.
- Spread Purple Yam Jam on top of the dough
- Starting from the edge, roll the dough to form a log.
- Press the top of log a little, then cut it into 3 portion leaving the end intact to hold the 3 portions.
- Bread the bread and put in the baking pan.
- Leave for 1 hour in a warm place before baking.
- Brush with egg wash or milk – optional
- Bake for 25 – 30 minutes or until the top turns golden brown
Makes 3 Mini Loaf , or 2 medium Loaf Bread or 1 Large Loaf Bread
Reminder: The larger the pan size, the longer the baking time and smaller pan require less baking time. Adjust baking time as necessary.
If you like this post, please don’t forget to click on the “Like” button below or Share this post with your friends.
If you like this bread, you might also like Purple Yam Pullapart Bread.