I am always open to try different kind of food, but when it comes to Curry, I strongly stick to my preference. Spicy, thick and creamy, that’s how I like my Curry. This is so far my best Curry recipe ever, and I believe that the photo speaks for itself. There is no filter or editing done in this photo, what you see is what you get. The sauce looks thick, because it is really thick and creamy and flavorful. All the goodness and flavor that you are looking for in a Curry, is here in this dish. You even get a bonus if you like it spicy, because this is definitely spicy in a good way.
Everything in this Curry is so unbelievably good, the chicken is tender and juicy and flavorful. The eggplant alone is a meal on its own and the sauce, you wouldn’t even think of leaving anything in your bowl. Every single drop of this sauce is so good that I kept on mixing it with the rice. You really have to try to make this and experience the taste yourself. Let’s get started!
- 2 Large boneless chicken breast – cut into pieces
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 gloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt (adjust as desired)
- 1/4 tsp red chili flakes (adjust as desired)
- 1/2 onion, peeled and diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1/2 orange bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 small eggplant – cut into circle
- 1 cup coconut milk or coconut cream for a thicker sauce
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- 2 tbsp lime or lemon juice (about 1/2 large lime or lemon, juiced)
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tbsp basil leaves, chopped
- 2 tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 1 green jalapeno pepper, thinly sliced (optional)
- 2 large red chili pepper
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder – optional
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 3 tbsp red curry paste (Homemade or Store-Bought) – I made my own using the ingredients below. It not exactly the authentic Curry paste, but it works. I had tried both homemade and store-bought curry paste and they both work well.
For the Red Curry Paste:
- 1 medium size red bell pepper, 1 clove garlic, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp paprika, 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, 1/4 tsp ginger paste, 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
Important Note: Please adjust the level of peppers/curry paste according to your preference. I love my Curry spicy, so the recipe have quite a lot of peppers.
Instructions for Homemade Red Curry Paste:
- Put all the ingredients in a food processor/chopper/blender and pulse/blend until a thick paste is formed.
- Place a pan or skillet over a medium heat. Pour the spice blend into the pan until it begins to bubble. Reduce the heat to low until all moisture has evaporated leaving a thick fragrant paste.
- Store in a jar in the fridge. Can be kept frozen for 2 months.
- Cut chicken breast into smaller pieces. Place the chicken in a bowl with 1 tablespoon of the oil, garlic, ground ginger, lime juice, kosher salt and red chili flakes. Toss to coat and let marinade for 10 minutes.
- In bowl, mix coconut milk, peanut butter and brown sugar. Stir well until peanut butter and sugar is dissolved. Set aside.
- In a heated pan, add 1 tbsp of oil, green jalapeno pepper, red chili pepper, curry paste and chicken (with the marinade juice). Cook for 2 – 4 minutes or until the chicken is cook through. Transfer in a bowl and set aside.
- In the same pan, add 1 tbsp of oil and peppers and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Pour coconut milk mixture then add sliced eggplant and cooked chicken. Bring to a boil then reduce to simmer and cook until sauce is reduced by half and the eggplant is soft. Continue simmering (medium heat) until you get the consistency you prefer. Thicker sauce means longer simmering.
- Add the onion and bell peppers to the skillet with the basil and cilantro and toss to coat. Cook for another 2-3 minutes or until the bell peppers are cooked to your liking.
Serve over rice or noodles. Garnish with more cilantro and basil, sliced red jalapeño of desired.
I hope you like this post. If you do, please click on the “Like“button below or share this post with your friends. Thanks!
Enjoy! If you make this, share and tag me in Instagram #SweetNSpicyLiving. I would like to see your creations too.
My Latest Video
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.