Do you have overripe bananas hanging around the counter? Worry no more because this Banana Bread is the solution to your problem. This recipe saved me dozen times from my dilemma on what to do with overripe banana.
Since I live alone, I normally only buy 2-3 pieces of banana. Believe me, sometimes I still struggled to finished it. I easily get distracted with sweet treats stock up in my fridge that I forgot that lonely banana sitting in my counter. Sometimes, I have friends who gave me bananas. I would initially pass the opportunity of accepting it, but since I found this Banana Bread, I accepted the banana with wide open arms and transformed it to this super moist Chocolate Chip Banana Bread.
This Banana bread is moist, soft and full of chocolate goodness. The butter is replaced with Greek yogurt and oil and so the texture is a super moist Banana bread. It also uses slight amount of whole wheat flour although you can make everything all-purpose flour if you do not have wheat flour.
Instead of white sugar, it uses brown sugar for a more gooey and slightly caramel like taste. It doesn’t use too much banana and eggs so the texture is not overly dense. For me, the measurement of the ingredients are just perfect, not too much or less. The best part, it is a quick bread so it is quick an easy to make. You cannot mess up something as easy as this. Let me show you how. Let’s get started!
- 1 cup (240 ml) mashed ripe bananas (about 2 large bananas)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) low-fat plain yogurt or greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) canola, vegetable, or corn oil
- 3/4 cup (165 grams) light brow sugar
- 1 large egg or 2 large (60 grams) egg whites
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup (130 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour (If you don’t have one, replace with all-purpose flour)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon – optional
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) and place the rack in the center of the oven. Spray an 8 x 4 inch (20 x 10 cm) loaf pan with a nonstick vegetable cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix the mashed bananas with the baking soda and yogurt. Allow to sit while you prepare the rest of the batter. The mixture will start to bubble, that’s fine.
- Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, whisk together the oil, sugar, egg or egg whites, and vanilla.
- In another large bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, ground cinnamon and salt.
- Combine the banana mixture with the oil mixture.
- Add banana and oil mixture to the flour mixture. Stir just until all the ingredients are moistened. Pour into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake for about 45 – 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool.
Makes one loaf (about 12 slices).
Try it and let me know how it goes. Feel free to share this recipe and let’s get the community baking!♥