Homemade Pizza and Homemade Ice Cream are the two items that I want to focus making this summer. They are both my summer food favorites, and being able to make these at home is something that I had always wanted to do. Making the homemade versions have a lot of advantages, mainly because it can be customized to personal preferences. Pizza for example is very flexible, there are variety of ways that you can do with pizza by just changing the toppings.
And every single change makes it an all together different kind of pizza. This means that while toppings could change, the base pizza dough could be the same. This is what this recipe is all about. A simple , basic and easy homemade pizza dough recipe that you can used for bake or grilled pizza. I am super excited with this and with the variety of ways I could use this especially for grilled pizza which I am very much looking forward on making every chance I got. Summer could be more fun with this homemade pizza dough that you can use to make amazing grilled pizza. Let’s get started!
- 3/4 cup warm Water (110F)
- 1/2 tbsp (1 1/2 tsp) Active Dry Yeast
- 1/2 tbsp (1 1/2 tsp) granulated Sugar
- 2 tbsp flavorless Oil
- 1 3/4 cups All-Purpose Flour + 1/4 cup on the side ONLY as needed
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- Prepare the Yeast: In a large bowl, whisk together the water, yeast, and sugar. Let sit for 15 minutes, or until bubbly. If you do not have baking thermometer, microwave the for water 15-20 seconds to warm it up.
- Wet Ingredients: Add oil and stir.
- Dry Ingredients: Add salt and 1 3/4 cups of flour. Mix until a dough forms. Knead/mix gently, adding more flour as needed (about 2 tbsp at a time but not more than 1/4 cup) to form a soft dough. You only need to use the additional flour if your dough is sticky to form into a ball. Normally at 1 3/4 it is already stable to form into a ball, but sometimes depending on the brand of the flour or how old the flour (new or nearing expiry), you may need more or less than what is specified in the measurement.
- Alternatively, the dough can also be made using a stand mixer. Prepare the yeast in the stand mixer bowl then add the oil, followed by the dry ingredients. Use the dough attachment and mix dough for 10 -15 minutes or just until the sides of the bowl is clean and the dough can be form into a ball.
- Let the Dough Rest: Spray a large bowl with oil and transfer the dough, or you can use the same bowl. Cover and let rest for minimum of at least 20 minutes to 1 hour. After the rest period, it is ready to use.
- Shape the Dough: To shape the dough, first divide the dough to your desired serving portion (see below serving portion). Shape each portion into ball, then using your fingers, push it around to form into a disk or to stretch it to desired shape (rectangle, circle, or free form). Mark and indention around to create a thick edge then lift the dough holding it from the edge. This will make the dough stretch on its own without working the dough too much. Leave a little bit of thick edge and watch the thickness, makes sure it is not too thin to the point of tearing. About 1/8 – 1/4-inch thick it ideal.
- For Immediate Use: Preheat the oven to 400F with the baking stone or overturned cookie sheet inside or cast iron skillet (at least 1 hour). Divide the pizza dough into desired portion The dough can also be use in the grill. Spread the dough and prepare as per desired shape and thickness then top with pizza toppings of your choice. Place on preheated baking stone or cookie sheet and bake until cheese melts. Baking time depends on how thin or thick the pizza crust. Normally it takes 13 – 15 minutes for a 1/4-1/2 inch-inch thick. Adjust as needed.
- For Later Baking: Spray a large bowl with oil then put the pizza dough inside. Cover and refrigerate. It is important to use a large bowl to leave room for the dough to expand. The dough can be refrigerated up to 24 hours. Leave in a warm place for at least 1 hour before using. Shape and bake as desired.
- Freezing Unbaked Dough: The dough can also be frozen. Divide the pizza dough into desired portion. Grease a large ziplock bag leaving room for the dough to expand. The dough can be kept frozen for up to six months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight then at room temperature for one 1 hour. Shape and bake as per recipe instruction.
- Freezing Pre-baked Dough: Divide the pizza dough into desired portion. Shape as desired and pre-bake the dough at 350F for 5 minutes ONLY. Set aside to cool then transfer and stack with parchment paper in between. Store in ziplock bag and bake as per recipe instruction when ready to use.
- For use in grill, pre-bake the shaped dough for 5-minutes, then add the toppings and grill in a pre-heated grill. Grill until cheese is melted and bubbly. Check my Grilled Jalapeno and Cheese Pizza for pizza grilling tips.
- Personal Size: Divide dough into 4
- Serving 2 -4: Divide the dough into 2
- Serving 4 -6: Use 1 batch of pizza dough (This is advisable only if you have a really large pizza pan or pizza stone)
- Grilled Jalapeno and Cheese Pizza (Serves 4)
- Grilled Meat Lovers Pizza (Serves 4-6)
- 5 Ingredients Small Batch Puff Pastry, Simplified Version!
- [VIDEO] 4 Ingredients Pie Crust Made Easy!
Enjoy! If you make this, share and tag me in Instagram #SweetNSpicyLiving. I would like to see your creations too.
My Latest Video
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.