Summer is surely getting into me. I had been craving for anything blueberry these past few days. I don’t know what’s going on here so I am just blaming it on the nice summer days. I just cannot stop thinking aboutBlueberry Cake, Blueberry Pie, Blueberry Cheesecake, Blueberry Donut and the list goes on. Argg!
I have to put a stop into this, and so I gave in to my carvings and here goes Blueberry Crumb Bars! Oh la, la, this made me really happy. Now I can have my peace of mind back. This is why I love easy and simple recipes like these. I can make it so quickly and enjoy it sooner than later.
The fruity and tangy flavor of the fresh blueberries complemented the buttery texture of the base and the crumbs. To make it even more special, Ice cream please! Oh! As if the bars is not good enough. Don’t just sit there imagining about the crumb bars. It’s so easy, go and plan to make this crumb bars. Let’s get started!
- 3/4 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 6 tbsp unsalted Butter, cubed and softened (but not melted, just enough to create a dent when you push your finger in the butter)
- 1 cup Fresh Blueberry or 1 cup Homemade Blueberry Sauce or Canned Blueberry Pie Filling (excess liquid drained)
- 1/4 cup granulated white Sugar (only if using Fresh Blueberry)
- 2 tsp Cornstarch (only if using Fresh Blueberry)
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice (only if using Fresh Blueberry)
Note: Double the recipe for a bigger batch and bake in 8 x 8-inch pan. Start with the suggested 350F at 35-45 minutes time and adjust baking time as needed.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray with oil and line a 5-inch or 8-inch square baking pan with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Make sure to leave some overhang for easy removal. Set aside.
- Make the Filling: Mix all the filling ingredients and refrigerate while you prepare the crust. Drain and remove excess juice before using later.
- Make the Crust: In a large mixing bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, and salt. Cut the butter into pieces and add it to the mixture. Using a mixer or a food processor, beat/mix on low-speed until you have coarse crumbs. You can also do it manually using a fork or a pastry cutter.
- Chill the Crust: Divide the dough crust into 2. Press 3/4 portion into the pan, firmly press it down into an even layer. Put in refrigerator for at least 15 minutes to harden the crust before blind baking (pre-baking) it. Reserve remaining 1/4 portion of the dough mixture for topping, keep refrigerated while you pre-bake the dough crust.
- Pre-bake the Crust: Take out the chilled crust from the refrigerator. Pre-bake the dough crust at 350°F for about 20-25 minutes or until the top is set and the edges are lightly golden brown. Take out from the oven and add the filling and toppings.
- Add the Filling & Toppings: Pour the blueberry filling mixture over the pre-baked dough pressed into the pan. Remove the remaining 1/4 of the dough crust from the refrigerator and sprinkle on top of blueberry filling. Return to the oven and bake at 350°F for 35-45 minutes or until lightly golden brown on the top and the juices are bubbling. Check at 25 minutes mark to see if the top are already browning. . Remember that the based crust has been baked already, so you only need to topping to bake. As soon as you it nicely browned and bake, you can remove it from the oven even before the 35 – 45 minutes mark.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool. Let cool completely before slicing.
Makes 6 – 8 bars for big batch (8×8 square pan), and 4 bars for small batch (5×5-square pan)
I hope you like this post. If you do, please click on the “Like“button below or share this post with your friends. Thanks!
Enjoy! If you make this, share and tag me in Instagram #SweetNSpicyLiving. I would like to see your creations too.
My Latest Video
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.