Featured Video: Egg Drop Corn Soup
Because some days calls for and easy soup that is ready in 15 minutes, and this is that kind of soup. Quick, easy, light, your perfect company for busy rainy days.
This Minestrone Soup is very easy to prepare, very filling, healthy and most of all budget friendly. Who wouldn’t love this on a cold rainy or winter days? This is so far one of the most flexible soup I’ve ever made, it’s almost like a no recipe soup. The kind of soup where in you can just mix and match vegetables that you have on hand and it will still taste great.
Surprising as it may be, but I did not see any Minestrone Soup recipe online that are exactly the same. Everybody has their own version of this soup, and that is what I love about it. Most of the ingredients are very basic, you probably have them already on hand. I sometimes would like to call this hearty vegetable soup, or my emergency soup. The kind of soup that I don’t have to exert extra effort to make, the kind of soup that I don’t really need to plan before making it. No long list of ingredients to buy, no rushing to supermarket to get the ingredients.
I made this with whatever vegetables I have in my fridge, and used shell pasta that I had. I did not even buy chicken broth, I made my own by boiling some of the chicken bones I had kept in the freezer for future use like this. I also used my leftover canned tomatoes when I made pasta sauce, and used the leftover chickpeas from the curried chickpeas I made.
I am almost tempted to call this Leftover Soup, but since that doesn’t really sound appetizing, I should probably keep that to myself and not make it official. But you get the point, right? Just use whatever you have, be bold, be creative and be adventurous in making this soup. In fact, I encouraged you to not stick to the vegetables I have listed here. I don’t want you to not make this just because you’re missing some of the vegetables in the ingredients. Replace it, remove whatever you don’t like, and add veggies that you like. Customize it to your preference or to whomever you are making it for. In the end, as long as you are happy and satisfied with how it taste, then that’s all that matters. Let’s get started!
- 1/3 cup (60 grams) Shredded chicken – optional for vegetarian soup
- 1/4 cup (55 grams) Onion – chopped
- 2 cloves garlic (6 grams) – minced
- 1/3 cup (39 grams) Zucchini – diced
- 1/4 cup (25 grams) Carrots – diced
- 1/3 cup (53 grams) Potato – diced (Can be substituted with sweet potato or squash)
- 1/3 cup (69 grams) Chickpeas (Can be substituted with white or black beans)
- 1/3 cup Canned Diced Tomato
- 1/4 cup Shell Pasta (35 grams) (Can be substituted with tortellini or ditalini pasta)
- Spinach (45 grams) (Can be substituted with Kale, Swiss Chard,Cabbage etc.)
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 1/8 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Italian Seasoning (Can be substituted with a mix of Basil, Rosemary,Oregano, Marjoram,Sage and Thyme)
- 1/4 tsp Chili flakes – optional
- 3 cups Vegetable/Chicken/Beef Stock (If using high sodium store-bought stock, you may need to reduce the salt in this recipe.)
Note: This recipe is very flexible, feel free to remove, replace and add vegetables that you don’t like or you like. Also, if you are using store-bought high sodium stock, add salt in the end and adjust as needed.
- Cut vegetables as evenly as possible (except for spinach). This is important so that the vegetables gets cooked almost at the same time.
- Add oil to heated pan. Saute onion until translucent then add shredded chicken (if using). Stir for 30 seconds then add garlic and stir again for another 30 seconds.
- Add potato, carrots, chickpeas, canned diced tomato, salt, pepper, italian seasonings and chicken stock. Simmer for 10 minutes, then add the zucchini and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Taste again before adding the pasta and adjust seasonings as desired. Add pasta and cook for another 10 minutes or until the pasta is cooked.
- Turn the heat off and add the spinach.
Try it and let me know how it goes. Feel free to share this recipe and let’s get the community warmed up and cozy!♥
Checkout my other soup recipes and keep yourself warm ♥
- Baked Butternut Squash Soup
- Baked Mushroom Soup
- Chicken Mami (Chicken Noodle Soup)
- Curried Butternut Squash Soup
- Creamy Mushroom Soup
- Creamy Tomato Basil Soup with Parmesan
- Egg Drop Corn Soup
- French Onion Soup
- Mexican Chili
- Minestrone Soup
- Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
- Sweet Potato and Corn Chowder