Since I started doing my Meat Free Monday, I had been on a constant search for meatless dishes that I can enjoy eating at the same time a recipe that is worthy sharing with you guys. One of the challenges of convincing people to try meatless dishes is the thinking that meatless dishes as bland, boring and not interesting. I used to think that way too, until few years ago when I started getting into meatless dishes. I am not vegetarian at all, but I like to have a lot of vegetables and fruits in my diet. I have to admit that a lot of vegetarian dishes are not as boring as I originally thought, you just have to find what works for you to enjoy it.
It could be that my preference change through the years, as my life style also changed when I migrated here in Canada. But it doesn’t really matter to me now, all I know is that I enjoy eating more meatless dishes now and that what counts. For me, the key to eating more meatless dishes is to find something that I really appreciate to eat and combining it to create something interesting and unique. This also means experimenting on new way of using certain ingredients, and adding a different twist to traditional way of making and preparing food, just like this cauliflower fritters.
This cauliflower fritter was inspired by the Cauliflower and Quinoa Meatballs. The same recipe that I used for Cauliflower and Quinoa Meatball in Coconut Sauce and now this fritters. You see how versatile one recipe could be? One simple meatless meatballs recipe, 3 different ways to enjoy it. I have recipe like this where I can use it in variety of ways, it really saves me a lot of time and I get to choose how I want to eat it depending on my mood.
What to expect
So, what should you expect from this cauliflower fritters? It has a crunchy top, a soft center and a lighter texture. It goes well with yogurt or salsa dip and a nice appetizer for a gathering.
- 1 1/4 cup cauliflower rice (You can use pre-packaged rice cauliflower)
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa, cold (about 1/3 cup uncooked)
- 2 tbsp cup fresh chopped cilantro or parsley
- 3/4 cup panko bread crumbs (Divided: 1/4 for meatballs batter, 1/2 for coating)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp olive oil (an more for spraying the meatballs)
- 1/2 – 3/4 tsp salt (adjust as needed)
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp chili flakes (adjust as needed)
- 2 tbsp fresh jalapeno – chopped
- half small white onion – chopped
- 2 cloves garlic – minced
- 3 tbsp cilantro – chopped
- Cook quinoa as per package instruction. Set aside to cool.
- Cut cauliflower into small pieces and transfer in a food processor along with the cooked quinoa. Process for 5 minutes until fine in texture and it starts to come together when you clump it in your hand. Transfer into a bowl and let cool. If you don’t have a food processor, a vegetable chopper or blender will work too but you just need to stir it frequently.
- In a heated pan, add olive oil, garlic, onion and jalapeno. Saute for 2 minutes or until fragrant and onion is translucent.
- Add in the cauliflower mixture, then add chopped cilantro, salt, peppers, panko breadcrumbs and egg. Mix until fully combined.
- Divide into 6 pieces and shape each piece into a disk about 3-inches or 1 medium size ice cream scooper. Cover and set aside in the fridge for 1 hour.
- In a HOT pan, pour 1/4 – 1/2 cup olive oil or less. Fry fritters until each side turns brown and crunchy, about 3-5 minutes each side. Do not keep on flipping to avoid it from sticking and to help retain the shape. Deep frying will give a better crunch, but I’ve also tried using less oil and it worked too. It can also be baked but it will take more time.
Makes 6 pieces
Enjoy! If you make this, share and tag me in Instagram #SweetNSpicyLiving. I would like to see your creations too.
My Latest Video
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.
FOLLOW SweetNSpicyLiving on Social Media Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter
Categories: Appetizer, Cooking, Recipe, Vegetarian
Great recipe, yummy snack, especially with that dip 😀
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thanks Kreso 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person