This Braided Chocolate Puff Pastry is one elegant, delicious but simple and super easy dessert that you can make anytime. It’s a 2 ingredients dessert, a roll of puff pastry and a chocolate spread for the filling. How easy is that? You can even buy a ready to use puff pastry to make this even easier, and for the chocolate just grab a jar of Nutella. Go ahead and impress your guest with this dessert with the flaky goodness and oozing chocolate filling. Do not to forget to serve them while warm to make the most of the flaky pastry and warm melting chocolate.
Delicious dessert doesn’t always have to be complicated. When you’re in a rush, when you don’t have time to whip up something fancy, this dessert is what you should make. This dessert is another reason why I always keep a ready to use puff pastry in my freezer, it’s like my magic helper for quick fix dessert that taste good and looks good. I cannot remember how many times and how many recipes I’ve made using puff pastry, I would say this is one of those ready to use pastry dough that I love the most. I sometimes buy ready to use pie crust, but I’m not obsessed with it as much as I am with puff pastry. Just to name a few, think about my 2 ingredients Chocolate Croissant or my Nutella Puff Pastry Pull Apart or the savory Mini Pigs in a Blanket, all these were made using simple puff pastry. So guys, stock up some puff pastry and you’ll never have to worry when you need a quick and simple dessert.
Ingredients to Make Chocolate Braided Puff Pastry
- Puff Pastry – Store-bought or homemade will work. Although I’m an advocate of homemade ingredients as much as possible, this recipe is one of those recipe that I would recommend using a store-bought puff pastry to make the process easier. The store-bought puff pastry has already been flattened and the size is almost perfect. You only need to stretch it a bit to make it 12-inch long, original size is 11-inch. The thickness is also even which makes produces a perfect layer when braided.
- Chocolate Spread – I used Nutella because that’s the easiest one and the one that I often used as filling for my baked products. You can use any of your favorite chocolate spread to fill the center. You can even change the filling, use cream cheese or jams.
- Sliced Almonds – this is optional. It wouldn’t affect the taste of the end product even without it. But, if you have one on hand, then might as well use it. It gave nice crunch plus chocolate and almonds for me always works together.
How to Make Braided Chocolate Puff Pastry
- Start by stretching the puff pastry to make it 12-inch X 9-inch. Use a rolling pin to gently push the puff pastry. Work quickly as it will get challenging to work on it when it starts to soften
- Since we are making 2 pieces, we have to cut the puff pastry into 2, each having 6-inch. If you want to make 1 huge piece, use the entire puff pastry without cutting it into 2 portions
- Cut 10 strips of 2-inch in each side, leaving 5-inches center uncut.This leaves you 5-inch in the center to fill.
- Spread the chocolate in the center, and sprinkle some sliced almonds.
- Braid. Cross over the strips one at a time, alternately until all the strips have been used. Good job! That’s about it.
- Wrap and freeze for about 15 minutes or more until your oven is pre-heated to 400F.
- For a nice brown shiny top, brush the top with egg wash
- Bake and enjoy!
- 1 roll Puff Pastry (Homemade or Store-Bought)
- 4 tablespoon Chocolate Spread
- 4 teaspoon sliced or chopped Almonds
- 2 tablespoon Dark Chocolate (melted) – optional
- 1/2 teaspoon Icing Sugar – optional
- Fresh Strawberry – optional
- Pre-heat the oven to 400F.
- Divide the Puff Pastry to Two Portion: Lay puff pastry flat directly onto the parchment paper that wraps it and let thaw a little bit until it is easy to unroll without any force. Do not force to unroll while cold as it will tear the puff pastry. Use a rolling pin to make the puff pastry size to 12 x 9 inches then cut diagonally in 2 pieces. You should have 2 pieces with 6 x 9 inch measurement.
- Create the Strips: Slice diagonally 3/4 of an inch apart down each of the outer thirds to create strips ( 2-inch strips each side leaves 5-inch center to fill). Leave about 1/2 inch bare on the top and bottom (to create flaps) to seal the pastry.
- Braid: Starting at the top, fold the 1/2-inch bare strip on the top, the cross the first strip on the right over the chocolate filling. Then fold the first strip on the left side over the top. Repeat, alternating on both sides until the filling is covered and all strips have been crossed. Fold the flaps on the bottom of the pastry to fully encase the filling.
- Chill: Using the parchment paper where the puff pastry sits, wrap the braided puff pastry and freeze for at least 15 minutes or while the oven is still pre-heating. The puff pastry will get soft so it will start to stick to the paper, so be careful not to tear it when wrapping.
- Egg wash: In a small bowl, beat together the egg yolk and water to make an egg wash. Lightly brush the pastry with the egg wash until coated.
- Bake for 25 minutes, until puffy pastry is risen and golden. Let cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes.
- Serve – Top with powdered sugar, drizzle melted chocolate and serve with sliced fresh Strawberries or scoop of vanilla ice cream
Serves 3 – 4
- Work quickly when using puff pastry, once it gets soft and starts to stick on the paper, it will be a challenge braiding it. If this happens, pop it in the freezer until it is cold enough to handle.
- This is best serve the same day it was made
Nutritional Information was calculated using Veryfitwell Recipe Calorie and Nutrition Calculator. For details about Nutritional Information in this website, please read the Disclaimer page.
My Latest Video
Click on the item to see the full recipe
- 2 Ingredients Puff Pastry Croissant
- [VIDEO] Apple Danish
- [VIDEO] Apple Turnover
- [VIDEO] Apple Hand Pie
- Mini Chocolate Croissant
- [VIDEO] Braided Strawberry Puff Pastry
Thank You for visiting my website. Please don’t forget to click the “Like” button below if you like this recipe. Lastly, did you know that I have a YouTube Channel? Please support my channel by clicking on the “Subscribe” button in my video and the “Bell” icon to get notification of new videos.
FOLLOWSWEETNSPICYLIVING ON SOCIAL MEDIA
Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter | YouTube
Categories: Baking, Puff Pastry, Recipe, Sweet
and dangerously delicious 😉
LikeLiked by 1 person